Disney Dispatches Group to determine Canon in EU

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Disney Dispatches Group to determine Canon in EU

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

http://io9.com/disney-appoints-a-group- ... 1497893812

So it seems that the Eu universe is about to get cleaned up a little bit.

Thoughts? Opinions? What would be the top 5 things you would have be made official canon?
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Disney Dispatches Group to determine Canon in EU

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

While I'm sure a lot of us here wouldn't mind if the Yuuzhan Vong just... disappear... I have a bad feeling that they're going to steamroll every single piece of fiction written that takes place immediately after Episode VI and involves Han, Luke, and Leia... Which actually really sucks for a lot of authors who put days, weeks, months into writing for Star Wars EU.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

If I had a vote - and I don't, of course - I'd spend it to keep the X-Wing series in.

I'd actually wager that, the closer the stories are set to RotJ, the safer they are, simply because the authors writing in that time period never got very far off the rails. Likewise, characters introduced there are more entrenched in the universe. Notable exceptions may be people immediately related to the main cast (read: Solo kids).

There's also the reasonable guess that the new movies are - if they're using the original actors - going to be set at least a decade or two after Return. The real things in the hot seat are any events that occur around and following the time that the new movies take place in.

Edit: Oh, and if there's one thing I'm convincing myself that they must chop out, it's going to be Dark Empire. That concept has always tasted a little bitter to me, and it's awfully comic-book-y to keep in the canon.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

As long as they leave my Timothy Zahn books alone I'll be happy. If not, they're dead to me.

Yes only Sith deal in absolutes, I never claimed to be perfect.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

X-wing series all the way. I, Jedi is another great book that doesn't muck up the universe too much, but it's ties with the establishment of the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV are probably enough to put it in danger. It also delves briefly into some events that occurred during the "dark times," which makes it somewhat obsolete considering how Revenge of the Sith plays out.

I'm curious to see how (or if) the Jedi Order is revived in the new films, so I'd be willing to ditch the EU's version if the films do it better.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Having read only one book set in the EU and knowing virtually nothing about the rest, I'd be fine with pretty much anything they decide, though I do also feel bad for the authors who spent large amounts of their time writing the books that will simply be thrown out. :(
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Well, it's not like the books are suddenly erased. They just aren't official canon.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

CressAlbane wrote:Well, it's not like the books are suddenly erased. They just aren't official canon.
Depends how you define "official"; Lucas himself doesn't consider it part of Star Wars, but it has been treated as "official" by pretty much everyone else.

As long as Zahn's works are still in there, I'm happy. I have a feeling that almost everything that takes place after Vision of the Future is going to be steamrolled. The EU really went downhill after that. Probably anything to do with Rogue Squadron or the X-wing series would be kept in, if I had to bet; that canon is good enough and popular enough that they'd probably want to avoid any fan backlash (then again, they're probably going to suffer from that no matter what they do).
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Didn't Lucas have input on the Darth Plageuis book and on TFU?

Personally, I think they'll probably leave a lot of things pre-Episode 7 the same as before.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

http://observationdeck.io9.com/what-doe ... /@riamisra

A little bit more. More of an opinion, but he has a pretty good explanation of what he thinks this means.