Star Wars Blu Ray

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Re: Star Wars Blu Ray

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I'm gonna be honest, I don't mind the idea of R2D2 killing everything. :P
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Wicket's new eyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRejStaN3q4

Jabba's big Diet Dr. Pepper door:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BoOsNnsfsk

New cave for R2:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9888/r2newshots.jpg

New Dug (Sebulba alien) in Jabba's Palace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlYNYb0ExAs

These movies won't stop changing until Lucas keels over from a heart attack or succumbs to the cancerous tumor that's been growing on his neck for the past few decades.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Okay, I honestly don't mind the changes to Wicket's eyes, because they still look pretty fake, and I also don't mind the change to R2's hiding spot, but that's not really something I would've ever noticed if it weren't for that comparison picture anyway. The door and the dug just don't look right, though.
EDIT: Hey, he's not screwing everything up. It's a Trap doesn't seem to have changed a bit. (at 1:58) Click!
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

What's the point of adding rocks? Who thinks of this? How did he get in there? How does he get out?
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Is it a massive addition? I mean I don't care because it's not a huge or really offensive change like the dug or Vader saying no.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Is it a massive addition? I mean I don't care because it's not a huge or really offensive change like the dug or Vader saying no.
It's not offensive but it's the perfect metaphor for all the alterations made to the movies: unnecessary and superfluous. It's like he's changing the movies out of spite or some power-crazed rampage.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Sometimes his reasons for changing things puzzles me, the cave for R2 is probably the most confusing. I don't see a point to it, but I don't mind it much. I don't mind Ewok's blinking now, albeit it still does look a little odd.

Another video, Han being unfrozen from Carbonite looks a bit better now, and a scrolling light added to Boush's(Leia's) helmet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEqPJNVIgcg&NR=1
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I just realized we are only talking about the Original Trilogy here. I can't seem to find any information out there on changes to the Prequel Trilogy Blu Ray release. Perhaps it's not worthy of being discussed? :P

Anyway, with all of the changes to this rerelease now, imagine all of the new things that will be included once the 3D version of the Original Trilogy hits theaters. :shock:

And something I read yesterday that I thought was really sad:
Star Wars 1997 Special Edition VHS Box wrote:STAR WARS, complete with restored original footage, new scenes, enhanced special effects, and presented in the theatrical widescreen format. It's the version George Lucas envisioned when he first created this legendary film.
Yeah, right...
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

AQT wrote:I just realized we are only talking about the Original Trilogy here. I can't seem to find any information out there on changes to the Prequel Trilogy Blu Ray release. Perhaps it's not worthy of being discussed? :P

Anyway, with all of the changes to this rerelease now, imagine all of the new things that will be included once the 3D version of the Original Trilogy hits theaters. :shock:

And something I read yesterday that I thought was really sad:
Star Wars 1997 Special Edition VHS Box wrote:STAR WARS, complete with restored original footage, enhanced special effects, and presented in the theatrical widescreen format. It's the version George Lucas envisioned when he first created this legendary film.
Yeah, right...
This is more like it. :yes:
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

Soon there won't be any original footage left with all this unnecessary tampering. It's definitely bordering on obsession, as if George has got some sort of compulsive editing disorder. :? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwTolALBM0 :lol:
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Marvel4s BF1 Conversion Pack + Era Mod

Post by Marvel4 »

OMG, what's wrong with all of you? It's George Lucas' saga, he can do whatever he wants. If you don't like it, don't buy it... :roll:
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Marvel4 wrote:OMG, what's wrong with all of you? It's George Lucas' saga, he can do whatever he wants. If you don't like it, don't buy it... :roll:
He can replace all of the characters with CGI gophers for all I care, so long as we are provided with a theatrical cut. Nowadays most directors give you a choice between their cut and the original theatrical cut because they recognize that their ideal version might not be everyone else's.

And I can promise you that those of us who are vocalizing our disdain have no intention of paying for the Star Wars: Super Silly Edition! BluRays.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

They have Been looping sw movies all day on Amc channel so fun and I learned something I never knew today that yoda was count dookus master.... I say in borat voice ... Verrrr ...niccce but yea I'll pass on the edited garbage, I like my pre 1999 versions of sw
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

Marvel4 wrote:OMG, what's wrong with all of you? It's George Lucas' saga, he can do whatever he wants. If you don't like it, don't buy it... :roll:
Of course he can do what he likes as there his property, it's just a shame the original theatrical cut's arn't still available along side his altered editions.

Afteral, apart from Star Wars, TESB, and ROTJ were produced but not directed by him.

...and if you read George Lucas's statement from 1988 on film preservation, this seems to contradict what he is now doing to his own movies:
Hidden/Spoiler:
"A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."
Source: http://savestarwars.com/doasisay.html

This of course is just my opinion, and I don't see why both version's, theatrical and special editions can't co exist like James Cameron's, or Ridley Scott's movies on blu-ray.

Edit: Era got in before me, lol! :)

Edit 2: This is also a very interesting blog on the subject from the Guardian newspaper:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog ... -ray-lucas
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Jendo7 wrote:Afteral, apart from Star Wars, TESB, and ROTJ were produced but not directed by him.
Not sure who told you that, but they were wrong. He directed ANH, ROTJ, TPM, ATOC, and ROTS. The only one he did not direct was ESB, which was directed by Irvin Kershner (may he rest in peace).

Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="Jendo7"]...and if you read George Lucas's statement from 1988 on film preservation, this seems to contradict what he is now doing to his own movies:
I can't really argue with that. It seems to me he has changed his mind on that as the years went by. Particularly between 90-94.
Jendo7 wrote:This of course is just my opinion, and I don't see why both version's, theatrical and special editions can't co exist like James Cameron's, or Ridley Scott's movies on blu-ray.
[/quote]

To answer this and simaler opinions. I agree. I don't see why the originals couldn't have been released before. Now it is probably just too late for that. My feelings are that it will always, ALWAYS be Star Wars, no matter what he does to it. He could never change it so much that it is not Star Wars, not even George would do that. I'll be just fine and content watching any edit he does. It's Star Wars, and that's all that matter. The magic will always be there, no matter what, George can not take that from us. And if you think he can take it from us, you have the issue, not George.

I don't think I have any more to say on this matter. I've made my point, no need to bore you all with my weird views. I'll refrain to just comments on the actual changes from now on.
keenmike
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Side by side bike with suspension
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1

Post by keenmike »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Jendo7 wrote: My feelings are that it will always, ALWAYS be Star Wars, no matter what he does to it. He could never change it so much that it is not Star Wars, not even George would do that. I'll be just fine and content watching any edit he does. It's Star Wars, and that's all that matter. The magic will always be there, no matter what, George can not take that from us. And if you think he can take it from us, you have the issue, not George.

I don't think I have any more to say on this matter. I've made my point, no need to bore you all with my weird views.
Point well made, no bore and not weird. I agree.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Jendo7 wrote:Afteral, apart from Star Wars, TESB, and ROTJ were produced but not directed by him.
Not sure who told you that, but they were wrong. He directed ANH, ROTJ, TPM, ATOC, and ROTS. The only one he did not direct was ESB, which was directed by Irvin Kershner (may he rest in peace).
Yeah, I know he directed the prequels, and ANH but Richard Marquand directed ROTJ. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
THEWULFMAN wrote: To answer this and simaler opinions. I agree. I don't see why the originals couldn't have been released before. Now it is probably just too late for that. My feelings are that it will always, ALWAYS be Star Wars, no matter what he does to it. He could never change it so much that it is not Star Wars, not even George would do that. I'll be just fine and content watching any edit he does. It's Star Wars, and that's all that matter. The magic will always be there, no matter what, George can not take that from us. And if you think he can take it from us, you have the issue, not George.
Good points, I agree totally. I'll just have to get my old VHS OT versions out once in a while so I can convince myself Han shot first. :yes: :wink:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Jendo7 wrote:Richard Marquand directed ROTJ. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
That is correct. Sorry if I came across as a bit of a smart-diet pepper.

This article about sums what I said earlier up.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

No problem, and good article.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Uh oh, you guys. They've announced more changes: