Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Should the Original Trilogy be remade?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Teancum wrote:That's a very "George Lucas ruined my childhood" comment.
I hate those. What I think few people realize, its 100% George's story. Its not mine. Its not yours. Its George's. I am of the opinion that George has the right to do whatever he wants, whether I agree with it or not. I felt that ATOC was a bad movie, I actually think it was worse than TPM. But here's the thing, it doesn't matter. Its not my movie. Actually I could rant about all the things I didn't like in the prequels.

George, has never, nor will he ever, have an obligation to do things his fans want. People say he does things for the money, that's bull crap. At the end of the day, its George's story, whether you like it or not.

And another thing. If some new content ruined something from your childhood, you were never a fan to begin with now were you? The Original Trilogy is still there, feeling neglected on your DVD shelf because you refuse to watch it because you don't like don't like the prequels so Star Wars is ruined for you. This is not directed at anyone, this is a broad statement to everyone.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

The biggest sin is that the original movies were altered to match the prequel trilogy, rather than the other way around. Fans who just want to enjoy the original trilogy and forget about the prequels are out of luck since their only options are a version with unnecessary additions/alterations that reference the prequels or a completely unaltered version with terrible sound and picture quality. Honestly, how hard would it be to release the theatrical cut of the OT with high quality sound and visuals?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Admittedly there are a handful of things that bother me about the remakes. The first is the ending RotJ Ewok village song. I miss the old one. The second is the bar scene where Han 'fires first' -- only because it looks fake. The colored core lightsabers I don't like either. But none of these things bother me all that much. I've always taken WULF's stand as far as the story is concerned. It's George's story, and he obviously felt the need to go back and modify the OT with things he either couldn't do at the time or changed his mind on.

Still, I wish there was a place I could legally buy true DVD fan edits. I want the old Ewok song back.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Teancum wrote:That's a very "George Lucas ruined my childhood" comment.
Not really, I don't even know if it was the staff from Lucas Arts who made that statement about EP3 Anakin as a Force Ghost, I was just quoting the common explanation (which I do think is stupid).

And it doesn't make sense, specially when put into context with the rest of canon, no other ghost of a fallen Jedi resembles their pre-fallen state.
DarthEste01
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2 KotF

Post by DarthEste01 »

but anakin did not leave the dark side entirely,he redeemed himself because he found some light in all the darkness but he was till more darkness than light,so when he died he had the apearence of when he was nearly totally good.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

DarthEste01 wrote:but anakin did not leave the dark side entirely,he redeemed himself because he found some light in all the darkness but he was till more darkness than light,so when he died he had the apearence of when he was nearly totally good.
Hum, I do not understand. If that's case, shouldn't he appear as Darth Vader then? Since he was still trapped in the dark side and all that.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

If you join the Dark Side but repent right before your death then you come back young and handsome. If you faithfully follow the Light Side until your death then you come back old and wrinkly.

Sounds right.
DarthEste01
Banned

Post by DarthEste01 »

EraOfDesann wrote:If you join the Dark Side but repent right before your death then you come back young and handsome. If you faithfully follow the Light Side until your death then you come back old and wrinkly.

yes,that's what i read once in wookieepedia.
redgroupclan
High General
High General
Location: For less cheap gameplay - BF2 v1.1 server "NoEngineersAntiGlitch"

Post by redgroupclan »

Teancum wrote:Still, I wish there was a place I could legally buy true DVD fan edits. I want the old Ewok song back.
I didn't know there was more than 1 ewok song. :?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

You don't remember Yub Nub? It's in SWBF2 Mos Eisley Assault, isn't it?
(Song title is "Ewok Celebration")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs

The new one is kinda boring...
(Song title is "Victory Celebration")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEniXyEwmzo
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:You don't remember Yub Nub? It's in SWBF2 Mos Eisley Assault, isn't it?

I'm gonna copy a comment from the YouTube video of the first one.

"1st:Sounds like a party.

2nd.Sounds like the end. I prefer both."
DarthEste01
Banned

Post by DarthEste01 »

mmm... i prefer the victory celebration,i think it fits better for being the last song in the end of such an epic saga.
Last edited by DarthEste01 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:You don't remember Yub Nub? It's in SWBF2 Mos Eisley Assault, isn't it?

I have to disagree here. While I like Ewok Celebration, I like the new one better for these reasons.

The old Ewok Celebration music always sounds like humans singing, rather than Ewoks singing. I know that sounds odd, considering they are all humans in the end. But I doubt anyone else here has studied Ewokese have you? People who have studied it raise their hand.
*THEWULFMAN raises hand*
Anyone else? I didn't think so. You have to have almost no life to learn a non-mainstream fictional language.

Anyway, point being as the Ewok Celebration feels like the characters can't hear it, only the audience. On the other hand, the new Victory Celebration is more realistic. It has instruments I can imagine the Ewoks could make, and there is no unrealistic choir. Ewok Celebration has metal flutes, Victory Celebration has wooden flutes. In Victory Celebration, there are metal chimes. Ewoks had very very little metal and they could not have made metal instruments. Matter of fact, if I remember correctly: Ewok Celebration was never written for that scene. Victory Celebration was.

In the end, while I like Ewok Celebration, I like Victory Celebration better because it fits in with the scene better to me.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

THEWULFMAN wrote:But I doubt anyone else here has studied Ewokese have you? People who have studied it raise their hand.
*THEWULFMAN raises hand*
Anyone else? I didn't think so.
That's a bit harsh.
*Fiodis raises hand*
THEWULFMAN wrote:You have to have almost no life to learn a non-mainstream fictional language.
Two minutes of Wookiepedia reading sufficed for me.

Point being knowing Ewokese doesn't give you much advantage anywhere while Wookiepedia exists. :P

That said, I would agree with you there, Wulf - Victory Celebration does seem a lot more appropriate to the scene than Yub Nub. Though if Yub Nub had Ewok-voiced humans singing it....
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Ewok Celebration has metal flutes, Victory Celebration has wooden flutes.
Off-topic: A metal and wooden flute would sound nearly the same. It was most likely a type of recorder.

I personally can't take Yub Nub seriously for the ending celebration. However, I don't think it is a bad song.
Lagomorphia
Major
Major

Post by Lagomorphia »

I think it should have ended with about fifty Star Destroyers gatecrashing the Endor celebration. Currently they have the entire Empire being sucked down a plothole along with the 200 ship fleet in Pirates Of The Carribean 3.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Lagomorphia wrote:I think it should have ended with about fifty Star Destroyers gatecrashing the Endor celebration. Currently they have the entire Empire being sucked down a plothole along with the 200 ship fleet in Pirates Of The Carribean 3.

Its only a plothole if you have never read any EU books.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Lagomorphia wrote:I think it should have ended with about fifty Star Destroyers gatecrashing the Endor celebration. Currently they have the entire Empire being sucked down a plothole along with the 200 ship fleet in Pirates Of The Carribean 3.

Its only a plothole if you have never read any EU books.
I take pride in never having read anything EU. What a mess.

Regardless of my feelings for the EU, movies shouldn't have to rely on an expansion, nor did Lucas probably plan an EU when he made the OT. As much as I love the original trilogy, and as much as I never noticed any plotholes myself (because the last time I watched the OT was a few years ago), it is a plothole, and a pretty bad one actually. There are quite a few, actually, now that I think about it. So maybe the OT could use a remake in terms of logic. But otherwise I think they're awesome films.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

There were a couple of Stormtroopers being attacked in the Coruscant/Imperial City portion of the celebration. See, there were still some Imperial guys around. It was meant to be a happy ending, anyway, since the main antagonists died.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Grev wrote:Regardless of my feelings for the EU, movies shouldn't have to rely on an expansion, nor did Lucas probably plan an EU when he made the OT. As much as I love the original trilogy, and as much as I never noticed any plotholes myself (because the last time I watched the OT was a few years ago), it is a plothole, and a pretty bad one actually. There are quite a few, actually, now that I think about it. So maybe the OT could use a remake in terms of logic. But otherwise I think they're awesome films.
Would you give some detail as in what plotholes you're thinking of? I can't find any...