Ewoks. Hate 'em or Love 'em?

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think about ewoks?

They are awesome.
30%
They are cool.
9%
They are ok.
35%
They are annoying.
4%
They are horrible.
4%
They are worse than Jar-Jar.
4%
Whats an Ewok?
4%
I thought this was a salmon jerky website...
9%

Total votes: 23
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Ewoks. Hate 'em or Love 'em?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Now I hate hearing people complain about a lot of things in Star Wars. Most I don't agree on, I agree Anakin sucked in the prequels, but I don't agree about Jar-Jar and Ahsoka/Star Wars: The Clone Wars. But forget all that, what bugs me the most, is how a large portion of people hate Ewoks. I for one, think they are awesome.

I have many reasons why I like them. They are a good hearted people (when they are not trying to eat you), and they love their forests. They remind me a lot of Native Americans at times, the way they respect the forests and live "primitively", so that may be why I like them a lot, since I am part Native American and I respect that part of my heritage.

For the 3 of you that don't know what an ewok is, here is the Wookiepedia link for all those numbnuts who have not seen Return Of The Jedi.

People complain that they were added for the younger fan-service. They are wrong, for they were not added just for the children. The Ewoks symbolize the entire rebel cause, that no matter how bad the odds seem, if you try hard enough you can topple an empire. I honestly do respect peoples opinions. I just do not agree. People say RotJ is the worst of the Original Trilogy, its actually my favorite.

So, people of GT, what do you think about them?
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Ewoks. Hate 'em or Love 'em?

Post by Nihillo »

I don't really mind the Ewoks.

One reason why I've heard people complaining about the Ewoks is because of their supposedly unrealistic role in the defeat of the Empire in Endor. Well yeah, common sense says that a bunch of tiny bears armed with rocks and spears stand no chance against guys with power-armor (sort of) and laser guns, so it's a reasonable statement; it's up for debate whether or not the Ewok weaponry should have been effective against Stormtrooper armor, one thing that can be said in the Ewok's favor, however, is that they were knowledgeable of the region, so, logically speaking, they had an advantage in that they knew good places for ambushes and how to conceal their movements; more often times than not, that sort of knowledge can balance the scale in a fight against an enemy with heavier fire power.

We've had plenty of cases in our history where a large and powerful army was defeated by a significantly lesser foe, simply because they were unable to adapt to the terrain, this might have been the same kind of situation. Then again, we've seen the imperials in Felucia, a considerably more hazardous environment, and yet they seemed to have everything under control.

It's just a movie anyway, we could spend days nerding over this stuff, analyzing and comparing it to real life counterparts, but it's not worth it. So yeah... I think Ewoks are okay.
acryptozoo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Yavin Mappack
Games I'm Playing :: Homeworld 2
xbox live or psn: acryptozoo

Post by acryptozoo »

wait this isn't a salmon jerky website :runaway:
ontopic: i dont mind ewoks there okaythe dont like the empire either so that's a plus
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

I don't see anything bad about them. Like Nihillo said, people complain how a species with basic technology defeated a foe that's far more advanced, but that has happened occasionally in real life, so really, they haven't done their research.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I feel that the marketing team influenced the kiddy characters to compete with popular movies coming out at that time. Muppets and et stuff was added to appeal to more then star wars nerds since Lucas knew he had that dollar hooked no matter what he did. Ewoks add cuteness so the movie doesn't feel like lord of the rings .. War war war
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Nothing--absolutely nothing

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

guru is right.
I don't think that RotJ is bad at all, as to which one is my favorite it's a three way tie between the three films.

I do, hate ewoks, and muppets, thusly. I just think they're annoying. I can't really say why, just they are, I guess maybe because... well I don't know I JUST HATE EM! I know what they represent, but yoda represents the exact same thing and I thought he was AWESOME. He's my favorite character in star wars. Again, yoda and ewoks represent a very similar idea, but one was lamely done and one was very well done.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

THEWULFMAN wrote:People say RotJ is the worst of the Original Trilogy
What people do you hang around?
Most of my friends either say ESB or RotJ are their favorite out of all 6 movies.

Anyway, I'm rather indifferent. If people hate ewoks because of THIS, then they probably have a legitimate reason. But frankly, that was before my time, and so my opinion of the small teddy bear warriors is unbiased by such garbage.

If you hate ewoks simply because they are teddy bear warriors, then you should probably man up and stop trying to act all tough. We're Star Wars geeks. Get over yourself. =p
Real men use ewoks as assassins/body guards, anyway. The cute little creature warms the hearts of your enemies... right before tearing them to shreds.
DarthEste01
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2 KotF

Post by DarthEste01 »

CalvaryCptMike wrote:I do, hate ewoks, and muppets, thusly.
But they were not muppets,they were disguised kids.

I know why Lucas added the ewoks,he was wondering the final battle of the saga to be in the wookiees homeworld,but he knew that with the technology he dispossed it will be very very veeery expensive so he created the opposite of the wookiee,the ewok,thats why both species lives in similar houses on the top of tall trees and ewok is an anagram of wookiee.

I think their role in RotJ is ok,they remind me the Vietnam war,where the Vietnamese soldiers won with verry low technology finding intelligent solutions to their problems,like walking in underground tunnels to be not detected by USA radars.
Last edited by DarthEste01 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

DarthEste01 wrote:
CalvaryCptMike wrote:I do, hate ewoks, and muppets, thusly.
But they were not muppets,they were disguised kids.
I know, I was referring to guru's post. :P
Marvel4
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Marvel4s BF1 Conversion Pack + Era Mod

Post by Marvel4 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote: Most of my friends either say ESB or RotJ are their favorite out of all 6 movies.
Agreed. But on IMDb, RotJ has the lowest rating, so most people think different.
Anyway, I'm rather indifferent. If people hate ewoks because of THIS, then they probably have a legitimate reason.
OMG, please make me unsee it! :runaway:
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Ewoks are awesome. Twilight hit it on the head. I use em all the time for personal bodyguards when I know some important deal is about to go down and I need to make sure it stays on the down-low....

Aw man, Ben, I need you to come out here and tell these guys they didn't hear anything with that funny hand-wave you do.

[/In-Character]
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I still think it would have made a lot more sense if they were Wookies plot-wise, but I don't mind them. Perhaps it's for the best that they didn't use Wookies, because we all know what George wanted them to be like when he made the Christmas Special.

I guess they were the first step in the massive "to sell toys" movement that plagued the prequels, but they really weren't that bad.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Fusion wrote:Christmas Special.
The horror... the horror.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Nihillo wrote:
Fusion wrote:Christmas Special.
The horror... the horror.
If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sit in the corner, rock back and forth, and cry now.
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

Ewoks are okay. They could be more violent though.
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

Eaol wrote:Ewoks are okay. They could be more violent though.
I actually thought they were a pretty blood thirsty bunch. :maulsaber:

# 1st: The first time we see even evidence of them is when chewbacca notices the meat of a dead animal hanging from a tree, let's assume the ewoks killed an animal and strung it up as bait.
# 2nd: The trap springs and all those dude get caught in it. The trap was obviously set for a living creature to spring, that would be killed and consumed by the ewoks.
# 3rd: They then try to sacrifice everyone INCLUDING A DROID to c3po.
# 4th: The ewoks nearly tear Leias head off when she trys to convince them not to eat her friends.
# 5th: One ewok steals an imperial speeder.
# 6th: All the ewoks charge brutally assualting the imperials with rocks and spears and clubs beating to death and maiming whatever they can get their grubby paws on.
# 7th: We see that they have traps set up and large areas full of logs ready to be released, another sign of the fact that they were violent, they have already built an efficient war machine in the forest.
# 8th: They have large quantities of weapons, such as spears and war clubs, at their disposal. Meaning their military has undergone an evolution because it has been tested in battle.
# 9th: They then gloat about their defeat beating the helmets of stormtroopers and celebrating the death of hundreds of thousands if not millions of imperials that died in the death star.

Now, how much more violent do they need to be!? :runaway: :angel:
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Maybe he means more menacing not something you 3 toothed baby would snuggle
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Snork »

I heard once that they were originally going to have the endor fight on Kashyyyk and the wookies were going to be aiding the rebels, but they didn't have enough money to make that many costumes for wookies so they made the ewoks instead. I don't know if it is true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Wookies beating the stormtroopers would have been a lot more plausible.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Snork wrote:I heard once that they were originally going to have the endor fight on Kashyyyk and the wookies were going to be aiding the rebels, but they didn't have enough money to make that many costumes for wookies so they made the ewoks instead. I don't know if it is true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Wookies beating the stormtroopers would have been a lot more plausible.

That's not true. Well, most isn't. Cost wasn't the issue, it was the technology factor. They (they being George and co.) wanted to have a primitive race defeat the empire, but they had decided that the wookies were going to be technologically advanced. So they created the Ewoks, a similar race. They both lived in trees, had fur, and the ewoks are actually pretty strong for their size.
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

Guru wrote:Maybe he means more menacing not something you 3 toothed baby would snuggle
YES! I would rather have them shed a bit of blood and actually get killed by imperials more. But I'd love to see them really cause pain to the imperials, not the terrible 'oh he hit my helmet with a stick, now I'm dead' attacks.

OFF-TOPIC:
In RotJ, am I the only person who would have subtly added in an Ewok with an E-11 in the background?