Fun Facts

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

modmaster13
General
General
Games I'm Playing :: COD SWBF
xbox live or psn: KrypticcElementt

Fun Facts

Post by modmaster13 »

Post random Star Wars Fun Facts Here!

Did You Know?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Wookiepedia; Sorce for my fact

Rhen Var was once a fertile paradise filled with vegetation and wild life. Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, an atmospheric cataclysm turned it into an icy hibernal surface. Since then, it had been a frigid world of frozen tundra and snowswept mountains.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Re: Fun Facts

Post by Nova Hawk »

Hmm... interesting. I never knew that. I always thought Rhen Var was just another ice planet like Hoth
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Nova Hawk wrote:Hmm... interesting. I never knew that. I always thought Rhen Var was just another ice planet like Hoth
You can infer that it was once habitable by the structures and the ruins, but beyond that, I don't think anyone would have guessed it had vegetation or was a paradise.

Don't know how "unknown" this is, but as I never see many people bring it up...Dark Forces (or the events leading up to the first level at least) and Jedi Knight have been adapted into short novels.

And, related to the Rhen Var comment above, Mustafar was actually a pleasant place to live before; apparently, it was ripped from its original orbit somehow.
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

Why is it so volcanic, though? It's nothing like any planet or moon we know of.

(Then again, why is Earth volcanic? We've never seen a volcano anywhere else, to my knowledge.)
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Eaol wrote: (Then again, why is Earth volcanic? We've never seen a volcano anywhere else, to my knowledge.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanism_on_Io
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanism_on_Mars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanism_on_Venus
The surface of Venus is dominated by volcanism and has produced more volcanoes than any other planet in the solar system.
Ummmmmmmm fail?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Eaol wrote: (Then again, why is Earth volcanic? We've never seen a volcano anywhere else, to my knowledge.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanism_on_Io
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanism_on_Mars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanism_on_Venus
The surface of Venus is dominated by volcanism and has produced more volcanoes than any other planet in the solar system.
Ummmmmmmm fail?
I concur :plokoon: , TW just beat me to it.
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

Not really a fail. I'm certain none of those are volcanoes. I was expecting someone to provide me with a planet or moon other than those.

The alleged 'volcanoes' on Io are electrical jets. That's why they move, and that's what arc machining is.
Electric Io Revisited
Electric Jets on Io
Jupiter's Consort
Io and the "Greatest Surprise"
The Mountains of Io
Io's "Volcanoes" Blur Scientific Vision
Io's "Volcano" Promethus
Io's Plumes
Predicting the Electrical Etching of Io
Retrospective on Io

The alleged 'volcanoes' on Mars are fulgarites. We can reproduce these in the laboratory, and we have reproduced these in the laboratory. They are the result of a plasma discharge to a surface.
Olympus Mons

The alleged 'volcanoes' on Venus are a whole series of rock formations having nothing at all to do with volcanism.
Electrical Scars of Venus
Venus and the River Styx
Venus the Bright Planet
Last edited by Eaol on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Off-topic:
Eaol wrote:I'm certain none of those are volcanoes.
What's your definition of a volcano based on your own personal observations?

On-topic: In Rogue Squadron, if you use the Y-Wing to rapidly bomb and destroy all of the cars of the prison hovertrain on the Rescue on Kessel level, then the engine car of the hovertrain will continue to keep going no matter how many shots you fire at it with your lasers or ion cannon.
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

Off-topic:
AQT wrote:What's your definition of a volcano based on your own personal observations?
Well, when I think of a volcano, I think of a caldera, magma at least partially being involved, etcetera. I don't see the results of lightning strikes and plasma discharges as volcanoes, though. My definition is the same as the Wikipedia one, "an opening, or rupture, in a planet's surface or crust, which allows hot magma, volcanic ash and gases to escape from below the surface."

None of the misidentified phenomena have any real similarities to Earth's volcanoes. The similarity is only perceived because the real explanation is too uncomfortable to the current paradigm.
redgroupclan
High General
High General
Location: For less cheap gameplay - BF2 v1.1 server "NoEngineersAntiGlitch"

Post by redgroupclan »

Tatooine used to be a lush fields-type planet until the Rakatta terraformed it.
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

Well...I thought terraforming was referring to making a world more hospitable. Haha.

In at least one dubiously canon source, Darth Maul survives and is given artificial legs, only to be killed again by Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Eaol wrote:In at least one dubiously canon source, Darth Maul survives and is given artificial legs, only to be killed again by Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Oh the irony! :P
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Your alleged 'facts' are all dated 2004-2005. And are all from the same source. One 6-7 year old website is not helping your case when you can search for "Volcanism on Venus/Mars/Io/Enceladus/Triton/Europa" and get tons of legitimate, updated sources and websites about volcanic activity (even if some of them are cryovolcanoes) on those different celestial bodies.
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

@Twilight_Warrior:

It's an old website, yes, but it's updated daily and is still used by many independent scientists, specifically for astrophysics.

I am too scientific to go around listening to flat-earth (or should I say "oil-lamp") theorists, though. Just because something is "legitimate" in your view does not make it correct. The reason these things are seen as volcanoes is because mainstream astrophysicists and geologists have no idea what else could have created them, much like the discredited idea of impact craters. They basically come up with an idea based on a flawed model, and within days it's already considered 'fact' by the mainstream without ever having one bit of observational or experimental evidence to support it.
You are welcome, Twilight_Warrior, to go and discuss this on my Electric Universe thread (we're getting fairly off-topic here). I did expect someone to call me out on quoting a single source there, but it was the only reliable scientific source that I could find on the particular matter that actually relied on the scientific method and hard evidence. There are more sites that go into a small amount of detail on the subject, but they are too technical and/or do not have it as their main subject.
Overall, at least I have experimental evidence backing up my view. The mainstream one is supported by deductive and not empirical reasoning and assumptions of the electrical neutrality of space (despite the fact that it is almost wholly filled with charged particles - plasma, in which the force of gravity is negligible), and exists because of the compartmentalization of modern 'science'.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Off-topic:
Eaol wrote:I am too scientific to go around listening to flat-earth (or should I say "oil-lamp") theorists, though.
I don't know what exactly your problem or agenda is, but if you are too scientific, why are you wasting your time on the internet trying convince a handful of ordinary people about how wrong mainstream science is? You seem to have very a good understanding of the widely available scientific information on either side of the "conflict." If you are too scientific, why not use your time, effort, and knowledge to conduct your own research and reach your own conclusions? You are not doing any better than those you claim who use mainstream science to back up their views. If you are too scientific, why not go out there in the world and talk to actual scientists? Go to your local research colleges and universities and present "your" case to the mainstream scientists there. If you want to see radical changes made to the scientific community, then it would help if you take a larger role in making it happen. You are hardly making a dent here on the internet considering there are oppositions to science as a whole. Until then, please don't go around presenting yourself as some kind of authoritative figure when you are merely spouting out findings by other scientists.

On-topic: Hmm, Hutts are asexual.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

The Star Wars Holiday Special is considered to be cannon, but the 2008 Star Wars The Clone Wars series is argued to be un-cannon.

Interesting, to me at least.

If you want to know more about The Star Wars Holiday Special, you should look up the Nostalgia Critic's review of it, very funny and you will get a good idea exactly what is The Star Wars Holiday Special. Prepare to never look at star wars the same way again.-Warning, adult language is present in the video-
Last edited by THEWULFMAN on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

THEWULFMAN wrote:the 2008 Star Wars The Clone Wars series
Are you talking about the 5 minute minisodes on Cartoon Network? Because that was right before Episode III came out in 2005. So itd be 04-05, not 08.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:the 2008 Star Wars The Clone Wars series
Are you talking about the 5 minute minisodes on Cartoon Network? Because that was right before Episode III came out in 2005. So itd be 04-05, not 08.

No, I am talking about the 2008 CGI Star Wars The Clone Wars series, if I was talking about the minisodes I would have said The Tartakovsky Clone Wars series. A lot of people refer to the new CGI series as the 2008 ST:TCW series, or TCW for short.
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

@THEWULFMAN:

I did not know that.

Did you know that Naboo's core is made of plasma?
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Something cool...
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CoDBO BFBC2
xbox live or psn: Has no xbox....Yup

Post by Darth_Spiderpig »

Eaol wrote:Did you know that Naboo's core is made of plasma?
I thought it consists of water and rocks. :o