MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Envoy of the Beginning [Galactic Civil War]

Post by MandeRek »

Maveritchell wrote:You can do better than this, MandeRek. One of the things I've always liked about your mod is your willingness to create your own work for it. You can pile on all sorts of things modeled by other people, but in my opinion that detracts from the mod. Don't add something just because it's available.
Thanks for the compliment, but I planned on doing those character actually. Now I don't feel like making a whole new model while there are 2 good ones already! I might remake Mara's clothing, and Maw will hardly be used.. Main reason why I've posted them is because I got the pics uploaded for Tean, who wanted them ;)

I'm clueless about GCW heroes you know.. And when I think I've found something original, Dark Times already has it :bowdown:
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

MandeRek wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:You can do better than this, MandeRek. One of the things I've always liked about your mod is your willingness to create your own work for it. You can pile on all sorts of things modeled by other people, but in my opinion that detracts from the mod. Don't add something just because it's available.
Thanks for the compliment, but I planned on doing those character actually. Now I don't feel like making a whole new model while there are 2 good ones already! I might remake Mara's clothing, and Maw will hardly be used.. Main reason why I've posted them is because I got the pics uploaded for Tean, who wanted them ;)

I'm clueless about GCW heroes you know.. And when I think I've found something original, Dark Times already has it :bowdown:
Pellaeon, Daala, Thrawn, and Isard would all be good Imp heroes, and I don't think DT is using those guys. :wink:
Hawk
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWRC

Post by Hawk »

ery cool new pic's! :)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I don't get why this is a bad thing? If you have permission to use a perfectly good asset, why recreate it yourself? This leaves Manderek open to work on some other model that otherwise would not have made it into the game.

Incidentally, he converted those models as a favor to me, and as such they shouldn't go to waste only ending up on the Xbox.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Teancum wrote:I don't get why this is a bad thing? If you have permission to use a perfectly good asset, why recreate it yourself? This leaves Manderek open to work on some other model that otherwise would not have made it into the game.

Incidentally, he converted those models as a favor to me, and as such they shouldn't go to waste only ending up on the Xbox.
If you can do something, then why not do it? Modding isn't about meeting a quota, it's about satisfying yourself - and I know that I'm a lot more satisfied when I do my own work.

And why is it a "waste" if something only shows up once? If I make something with a purpose, and it only shows up once, it's not a waste if its fulfilled its purpose.

My contention is - and this is just my opinion - that adding in the JKA models does a couple things. It doesn't significantly add anything to the mod (because there are already a number of other heroes) and it takes away from the personality of the mod by just dropping someone else's models in there.

There's nothing wrong with converting models, but it is a fallback and doesn't need to be done. I'd rather see people create original work, and I only bring it up because I know MandeRek is one of the few who've proven themselves capable of doing that consistently.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Well we're all entitled to our opinion I guess. I can see your point, but I come from the other side of thought. To each their own.

Sorry for steering things off-topic, Manderek.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Teancum wrote:Sorry for steering things off-topic, Manderek.
I actually find it on-topic, and I actually agree with both of you.. I don't understand why you would leave out perfect assets, if they can be used.. But as Mav indeed said, they don't fill much purpose at all, and I hardly use imported stuff (only kitbashes really, kitbashed by myself) I think I'll just leave them out.. Those 2 heroes can be easily replaced I guessed with new ones..

Modding's indeed satisfying yourself I guess, at least it started for me like this, but now it's more like satisfying the public.. Sometimes I just feel like a lot of work has gone to waste, for example with models like Plo Koon. I worked unbelievable hard on the UVs and texture for example, but in the end it's just not something popular, which isn't really satisfying me.. I kinda.. Just want people to love my work.
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Blade117 »

If anything, work not being universally beloved could be a good thing, in the right light. I certainly like the thing you've done.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

MandeRek wrote:Those 2 heroes can be easily replaced I guessed with new ones..
Don't let me talk you out of doing something you want to do. If you really want to add those in and you think they add to the mod, then do it. I don't agree with it, but I'll be the first to tell you (or anyone) that modding shouldn't have to be about anything but doing what you want.

I'll only ever play devil's advocate because I want to see an idea refined and made better - your mod's already a great piece of work and you certainly won't take anything away from it (or displease the public) by adding something else. The only reason I brought that up at all is because I've seen in the past how much pride you take in making your own models and doing your own work (and it shows, in this project), and I wouldn't want you to deprive yourself of that just because something else became available.

On a side note:
Sometimes I just feel like a lot of work has gone to waste, for example with models like Plo Koon. I worked unbelievable hard on the UVs and texture for example, but in the end it's just not something popular,
If my opinion matters, absolutely keep that model in. That's one of the best ones you've made for this project. There have been a couple models that haven't been exceptional, but the Plo Koon model is one of the high-water marks for the playermodels you've added.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Maveritchell wrote:
Sometimes I just feel like a lot of work has gone to waste, for example with models like Plo Koon. I worked unbelievable hard on the UVs and texture for example, but in the end it's just not something popular,
If my opinion matters, absolutely keep that model in. That's one of the best ones you've made for this project. There have been a couple models that haven't been exceptional, but the Plo Koon model is one of the high-water marks for the playermodels you've added.
Definitely agree with Mav on this one. I didn't realize you had taken Plo Koon out, but I hope you'll put him back in because I remember being quite impressed by the model.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Eggman wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
Definitely agree with Mav on this one. I didn't realize you had taken Plo Koon out, but I hope you'll put him back in because I remember being quite impressed by the model.
Per the above. That was my personal favorite out of all the models in BF0.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Sky_216 »

Ping wrote:
Eggman wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
Per the above. That was my personal favorite out of all the models in BF0.
May as well add my opinion - the Plo Koon model is very good, especially the face/breather mask.

On what Mav said, I broadly speaking agree but it doesn't take into account the time constraint, which is a constraint.

Anyway MandeRek this 'little' (<--note sarcasm) era is looking very nice. :)
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Yeah I'll ofcourse leave the Plo model in.. But I was kinda dissapointed on the small amount of reactions, maybe because this mod seems to die more and more.. Anyhow, it's not dead yet. Here's the Luke model for this era, mostly kitbash, although the UVs on the body are all redone (except hands and head)

Luke Skywalker
Hidden/Spoiler:
And.. Mara Jade is cancelled as hero, Maw is still in doubt
impspy
Captain
Captain
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by impspy »

Nice Luke model :thumbs:

Too bad about Mara, though...
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Looks good! That's one crazy hairstyle though. :P Looks like he came straight out of the 19th century.
sampip
General
General
Projects :: Something big. And exciting.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3
xbox live or psn: masowner66

Post by sampip »

Looks like my hair on a bad day... :lol:
Nice work as always, Manderek!
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

Weeeell, I don't like that model actually, I don't want to be rude that's just my opinion.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

You're free to give yours ;) It's not the actual Luke as we know him from the movies, it actually started with a 'What if Luke turned to the Dark Si...' but then ended since I want to stop adding different campaign missions :P

I kinda like this Dark clothing on him, it makes him look un-jedi-ish, something I always thought him to be :wink:
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

I actually really like what you did to his hair (it looks a lot higher poly on first glance than it actually appears to have). It only seems to me that the model's head is a bit too round, as compared to Mark's more oval face. His face looks a bit too small, compared to the rest of the body, as well. (I think it could be a lot bigger; that part is good enough to showed off like that :) )
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Actually the head, including hair, is just completely 'stolen' from the Stormtrooper Luke model.. But I might scale him up, or at least give him some more neck