Where do we go from here

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Where do we go from here

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Input into this thread would be very much appreciated, as I'm not sure what to do.

Where we are now:

City:
Hidden/Spoiler:
(Notes: somehow fragme is missing and superclone is in the wrong spot, I will fix these later. Other than that, I believe the two pictures correlate)
Outside City:
A pond, some trees, etc. Not much else.

Sides:
  • Scout - lvl 1-4
  • Smuggler - lvl 1-4
  • Soldier - lvl 1-4
  • Merc - lvl 1-4
  • Jedi Master
(Total of 17 units split between the two teams. Sides have an effect texture that somehow doesn't want to show up, and I need to localize them, but other than this they are good)

Gamplay:
Just some cps thrown in from default map.

Where are we going?

City:
Need more lot submissions! I'm fixing up the lots that I am responsible but not much else. If submissions don't come in, I have the option to put in Urban Map buildings to fill the space. Other than that, I have just a few bugs to fix.

Outside City:
I'm not planning to do anything out here unless required by something else.

Sides:
I'm not planning to do anything out here unless required by something else.

Gamplay:
The sides feature "level ups," so at the bare minimum, we need something to be a source of points. A few ideas:
  • Free for all - earn points by killing other players. Weight it so that you earn more points by killing more experienced players. This prevents people from leveling up by fragging noobs over and over.
  • Hunt - players must earn points by hunting animals/other things in environment. Boring, I think.
  • Battle Tower - players earn points by dueling in a battle tower, or by facing AI here.
  • <Insert your idea here> - I'm all out!

The major issue to decide is what the gameplay should be like. We have to consider things that get boring: fraggin AI over and over, playing a story mode over and over, repeating the same task over and over, etc. A free for all deathmatch is the most fun I think, because the situation is never the same each time. But this also has it's drawbacks. I really need some help here finding out what to do.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Where do we go from here

Post by Maveritchell »

Do all the basic stuff in one place. Set your points awarding so that any kill is worth points (a la free for all) and also populate your map with various hostiles. Add your activities if you want them (you have a prebuilt one in my building's basement!) but just make it a sandbox-style map. That worked fine for your Battle Arena.

Send me a PM or something about the sides problem. I'll look into it again. Also, did you get the soundstream region working?
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

I didn't get the sound stream working, but I dont think I looked into it after a certain point of frustration, so I will revisit this. I also resent our last PM exchange from months ago.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Battle Tower - players earn points by dueling in a battle tower, or by facing AI here.
You might already have a set plan in mind for that idea, but I picture something like this: players face progressively tougher AI enemies as the advance from floor to floor, and when they reach the top they are granted access to some sort of special vehicle as a reward. They get to cruise around in a cool airspeeder or whatever, and everyone else knows they passed the Battle Tower by seeing them in the special vehicle.

For other ideas, what about some sort of race mode/minigame? In the city's current state it might not be so great of an idea, but if the map becomes more populated you could have players race speeders through the streets, using barriers to mark the path and prevent players from cheating. The race could take place on ground level or on the higher platforms.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

In the pic, it looks like there are 2 of my building, clipping.
I need to update the model's armory, and then send it...
Might do that soon, I have a bunch of objects I could add in...
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by lucasfart »

For a little bit of extra content, why not make a garden lot! a fenced off park area with tree's, a stream and benches around the place. You could probably put it somewhere in the middle. This is just a suggestion, if someone actually wants to make it :wink:

Also, looks like outside the city could do with some foliage....
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Eggman »

lucasfart wrote:For a little bit of extra content, why not make a garden lot! a fenced off park area with tree's, a stream and benches around the place. You could probably put it somewhere in the middle. This is just a suggestion, if someone actually wants to make it :wink:
That's not a bad idea, if you ask me. It might only be scenic detail, but it would go a long way toward filling the city out and giving it some color. With the number of lots left, you could even use an entire block for the park or use the spaces in some blocks with only one completed lot. I actually wouldn't mind putting this together, so if you're interested Rep, let me know.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Sky_216 »

Eggman wrote:
lucasfart wrote:For a little bit of extra content, why not make a garden lot! a fenced off park area with tree's, a stream and benches around the place. You could probably put it somewhere in the middle. This is just a suggestion, if someone actually wants to make it :wink:
That's not a bad idea, if you ask me. It might only be scenic detail, but it would go a long way toward filling the city out and giving it some color. With the number of lots left, you could even use an entire block for the park or use the spaces in some blocks with only one completed lot. I actually wouldn't mind putting this together, so if you're interested Rep, let me know.
Any plants you want made drop me a PM. Been taking quite a lot of photos for textures (mostly not for BF2) recently.
Greenhouse might be an idea too.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

It might be just an issue of community motivation. Try a few YouTube fly-through videos to see if you can stir up folks to get stuff done.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

I've learned to model since last time you where here. It's only that I use Blender for modelling, so may I request someone to make a simple plane with 60 by 60 XSI units, so that I know where I have to work from. (I'll also post a request in the request thread.)

So I'd love to contribute now that I can. It'll be two weeks before I really can get started, because my school year ends then and I have tons of tests before that time.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

How about treasure hunt? It's like capture the flag, but... um, well... You go through a forbidden temple for sacred artifacts which may or may not be beneficial?
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Eggman »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:How about treasure hunt? It's like capture the flag, but... um, well... You go through a forbidden temple for sacred artifacts which may or may not be beneficial?
Or just hide it in clever locations around the map to cut back on the work load for that concept. I have a feeling that mode would lose its replay value once everyone figures out where the item is hidden.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Eggman wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:How about treasure hunt? It's like capture the flag, but... um, well... You go through a forbidden temple for sacred artifacts which may or may not be beneficial?
Or just hide it in clever locations around the map to cut back on the work load for that concept. I have a feeling that mode would lose its replay value once everyone figures out where the item is hidden.
We have two options with that; Have a finite amount of artifacts that don't respawn, or update it every now and then once they've all been found.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

Updating is not really a good option, only if you could implement a script to let the server spawn these "treasures".
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

@Eggman - battle tower would take a lot of work so I'm leary to start it unless I have finished the essentials elsewhere. I like the idea of a race mode though, that would be relatively easy to put in but fun to play.

@kinetosimpetus - I wondered why it was so hard to walk around in! Yeah if you could send me an up-to-date version, I could just scrap whatever I have here and replace it with the good.

@lucasfart - if some one wants to make it that'd be fine, I'm kinda strained myself with everything else though! Eggman if you want to go ahead and do this, that's fine, but consider that every task is a larger undertaking than it seems.

@Teancum - that sounds like a good idea. I may do this a week or two from now when most people have settled into their summer routines.

@Darth_Squoobus - yeah a treasure hunt would be fun once, but after that not as much.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. :)
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by General_Nate »

Hey guys, I took a break from modding for a while, and I'm back!

As for the topic:

Wow, it's my epic fail of a lot. That's Wayyyyy out dated. The new one is so cool, but not done.

As for ideas, I like the idea of a race mode. Like, in the outskirts somewhere there's a race track, with speeders, and you can race. Or, you can take your personal speeder and race with it. Just a thought.

My new lot is 99.9% done now, I just have to clean up the Magnemite and Porygon control units, and maybe add my new ship I just modeled, and I'm all set!
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

RepSharpshooter wrote:@lucasfart - if some one wants to make it that'd be fine, I'm kinda strained myself with everything else though! Eggman if you want to go ahead and do this, that's fine, but consider that every task is a larger undertaking than it seems.
Actually, I'd be willing to do that. Probably just around my lot, or even just as my lot, with a little tunnel inside to showcase what little there is of my stuff to see.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

I've ALMOST learned to model since last time you where here. It's only that I use Blender for modelling, so may I request someone to make a simple plane with 60 by 60 XSI units, so that I know where I have to work from. (I'll also post a request in the request thread.)

So I'd love to contribute now that I can
This applies for me as well, although I had to edit the quote a little bit.
B-1Burt
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by B-1Burt »

What about a kind of Bounty Hunter game mode? It could combined with the treasure hunt idea someone mentioned earlier.

Basically an objective is spawned somewhere in the game. This could be a ship to hijack, a 'something' to deliver to some point, an item to retrive, something to sabotage, or a person to kill/capture. It's an obejective based free-for-all, where as soon as the obective(or target :wink: ) appears everyone makes a mad dash to get it. Points are only awarded for completing objectives, this means everyone is killing each other so they are the one to get the point. Kinda like oddball in Halo. But more fun since the objectives are varied. Just a thought, maybe it'd be fun. And you could use the interiors of some of the buildings, and the outskirts.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith

Post by lucasfart »

Hey, i've just thought of something. Why not make a junkyard/tip styled area, with large piles of trash and scrap metal/objects. only if somebody's interested in making it, obviously ;).

Glad everyone likes my earlier idea! :)

Also, why not make a paint-balling/redvsblue game! using your units would make for a fun game of paintball in the city...

Some simple sky-rise buildings(square block buildings with reasonable textures) would definitely add a bit of realism i think. The question is, as usual, who wants to do it?