Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Post by Fingerfood »

(Figured I should post the hype-er, information thread since it's inevitable, and for some reason we don't have one yet.)

Valve announced their next title, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) to be released early next year on PC, Mac, XBLA and PSN. It'll provide a new version of the Source engine, (Supposedly akin to Portal 2's) and will feature some new characters and weapons, as well as new game modes, matchmaking, and leaderboards. The Store page provides all the information they've officially announced, and can be found HERE.

Valve flew some important people in the CS community out to their offices to playtest and give their feedback, and a couple of them have a thread up on Reddit where they've been answering a fair amount of questions. Reddit thread.

They've said it'll be playable at PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo, and I'm sure they'll release more information over the next couple of months.

So yeah. I'm excited for this. MW3 and BF3 don't look too enticing so far, so I'm thinking of skipping those and just getting this. Should be awesome.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Post by Grev »

More leet world? A man can dream... :P

All jokes aside, it looks interesting. A chance to start anew without CS's terrible learning curve. And seriously. More leet world pl0x.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

This all makes me think that Valve plans on competing for dominance in the mainstream multiplayer FPS game market, I mean, they've got TF2 for all of the people simply looking for a free and fun multiplayer game (although it does have it's competitive side to it as well) and now they presumably will also have a 'hardcore' shooter for the 'pros' as well. To me, it kinda looks like they are attempting to dethrone Modern Warfare/Battlefield as the top dog.

Never really got into CS, but I guess I could give it a chance when it comes out.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Nihillo wrote:This all makes me think that Valve plans on competing for dominance in the mainstream multiplayer FPS game market, I mean, they've got TF2 for all of the people simply looking for a free and fun multiplayer game (although it does have it's competitive side to it as well) and now they presumably will also have a 'hardcore' shooter for the 'pros' as well. To me, it kinda looks like they are attempting to dethrone Modern Warfare/Battlefield as the top dog.

Never really got into CS, but I guess I could give it a chance when it comes out.
As little attention as CS gets in the "mainstream market," I wouldn't think it an understatement to say that the game probably logs the same amount of players everyday as the two top leading brands. :P
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Grev wrote:
Nihillo wrote:This all makes me think that Valve plans on competing for dominance in the mainstream multiplayer FPS game market, I mean, they've got TF2 for all of the people simply looking for a free and fun multiplayer game (although it does have it's competitive side to it as well) and now they presumably will also have a 'hardcore' shooter for the 'pros' as well. To me, it kinda looks like they are attempting to dethrone Modern Warfare/Battlefield as the top dog.

As little attention as CS gets in the "mainstream market," I wouldn't think it an understatement to say that the game probably logs the same amount of players everyday as the two top leading brands. :P
Well from all I've heard they're not doing the "stereotypical" XP leveling and unlock system, which is apparently one of the crowning features in modern FPS. Besides that I don't really think they intend to compete, or even want or need to. Even if they did, I doubt it would be with a CS title, given it's overly protective community, among other things.

And I'm fairly sure CS 1.6 (The old 1998 GoldSrc version) logs about the same every day as any of the mainstream FPS.
Grev wrote:More leet world? A man can dream... :P

All jokes aside, it looks interesting. A chance to start anew without CS's terrible learning curve. And seriously. More leet world pl0x.
I doubt there would be a revival of Leet World for various reasons, but hey, you never know.

As for starting anew, I doubt that. In that Reddit thread I linked to they're already citing all the random jargon only true CS fans would know or at least care about. However they do have the matchmaking system and leaderboards, so you may be able to find newer players among the sea of l33ts. On that note too, I never really considered CSS's learning curve too bad, especially because there's pretty good bots you can practice with. I would agree that CS 1.6 is pretty steep though.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Fingerfood wrote: I doubt there would be a revival of Leet World for various reasons, but hey, you never know.
A man can dream can't he! :P

There probably won't be, but who knows?

Actually, lots of old games still log tons of players. Last I checked, (which was admittedly a long time ago but whatever), HALO CE logged TONS and TONS of players. So it's interesting-how many CS players with jump to GO?
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Hebes24 »

[Obligatory post about how Valve should be making the next Half Life game instead.]
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Hebes24 wrote:[Obligatory post about how Valve should be making the next Half Life game instead.]
Indeed. However, we have proof that they are working on it:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote]-Shortly after Alien Swarm is released in July, unused hint nodes are found in its SDK, under the names "Ep3 Blob Shake Position", "Ep3 Fire Cover Position", "Ep3 Brain Cover Position", "Ep3 Brain Regenerate Position", "Ep3 Spit Position", "Ep3 Spawn Generator Position", and "Aperture: Nest". Given the prefix "Ep3" and the use of the name "Aperture", these may be leftovers of the sequel to Episode Two
-(...)the Portal 2 SDK is released. In the files, code for an NPC named "Combine Advisor - Roaming" is found by users, and is shortly removed in a subsequent update.
-In another May interview, Newell states that Valve is done with the episodic model as we know it, now rather updating the same game as much as they want through Steam, which was introduced with Team Fortress 2. This suggests that the next Half-Life game will not be in the vein of its two predecessors, leading the community to speculate that Valve has moved to a larger project.[/quote]

Source
Sorry about that little off-topic tangent, I just wanted to get it out of the way.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Bah humbug. Most of the people whom Valve is marketing this to are just going to buy Modern Warfare 3 instead. I bought CS:S mainly so I could use stuff from it in Garry's Mod, so it's something of a white elephant to me. It doesn't matter how innovative it is, the numbskulls I know will go for the same generic poop.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Seriously, I once pressed someone who bought MW2 about what was so innovative and unique about it. He had no answer.

[Hide]And on the subject of Episode 3, Valve is more likely to just go for a full-on thrid installment.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

I'm interested solely due to the fact that it's Xbox Live Arcade. I play like three retail games anymore, but inexpensive titles at 10-15 dollars on a console that don't need a disc are right up my alley.

And for the record, I'm not lazy -- it's just that my daughter likes DVD/game cases and I don't want to replace an accidentally broken game.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Teancum wrote:I'm interested solely due to the fact that it's Xbox Live Arcade. I play like three retail games anymore, but inexpensive titles at 10-15 dollars on a console that don't need a disc are right up my alley.
I'm kinda interested on how it plays out on the consoles as CS has always thrived because of its mods and dedicated servers and whatnot. I'm sure a lot of your typical console FPSer will be picking it up, but I'd be interested to see how the community is and how long it stays active, especially considering how it's an arcade title.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Double post, but there's a ton of info being released tonight. First we have a Kotaku article with some info and screenshots.

Also an IGN article with a video. There's also some straight gameplay too.

There's also a reveal trailer by Valve being aired on TV, but it isn't up online yet.

EDIT:
Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclu ... bal/719793