Team Fortress 2: Pyanodon's Engineer Buildings

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Team Fortress 2: Pyanodon's Engineer Buildings

Post by Nihillo »

So, as we all know the Engineer class got the short end of the stick lately, but fear not, a creative member of the Steam Users' Forums called Pyanodon has taken upon himself the task of designing, modelling and animating new builidings for the Engineer.

Featuring a Sentry Cannon, a Stealth Sentry Gun that fires bolts of lightning, a crazy Sentry that eats players alive and many more!

Check it out and don't forget to vote in your favorite concept, the winners will be developed further, polished and sent to Valve as submissions for their community contribution program.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Re: Team Fortress 2: Pyanodon's Engineer Buildings

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Fortunately, my ideas of anti-air sentries is still safe, but I'm otherwise ruined now that my other ideas have been taken.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Explain this community submission business. Why do his concepts have Valves logo on the bottom? Is this even guaranteed to be implemented?
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Grev wrote:Explain this community submission business. Why do his concepts have Valves logo on the bottom? Is this even guaranteed to be implemented?
Ain't nothin' guaranteed about this, because Robin Walker hates Engineer.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
Grev wrote:Explain this community submission business. Why do his concepts have Valves logo on the bottom? Is this even guaranteed to be implemented?
How did that contribute? Why is it relevant? How in the world does that help explain the community submission business to Grev? Because quite frankly, I'm curious about the community submission stuff, too.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:
How did that contribute? Why is it relevant? How in the world does that help explain the community submission business to Grev? Because quite frankly, I'm curious about the community submission stuff, too.
Community submission is where you submit models to valve for review and possible implementation. Scripting is redundant because Valve will often script your custom weapon themselves to avoid overpowered weapons.

I said nothing was guaranteed because that entire page was devoted to Engy and as any fairly regular TF2 player knows Engy (and Pyro) won't be getting any new weapons because Robin Walker loves Soldier too much.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

He's right, to a certain point.

Robin "hating" the Engineer or the Pyro is no reason for the lack of updates, in fact, I recall reading a thread where someone quoted an e-mail -a reply from Robin Walker, actually- where he says "my personal preferences do not affect the design decisions we make with the game" or something to that effect. Forgive my lack of sources, but I can't bother to look for that thread right now.

Anyway, the actual reason why the Engineer didn't get anything new in the past few updates is because nobody made anything for him. The Poly Count contest happened before the Engineer Update, so nobody knew what Valve wanted to do with the Engineer, design-wise, as a result, he's far behind the other classes. So there are some people in the community who are trying to take care of that little problem, as you can see.

As for the community submissions deal, well, that was introduced some time ago, with the Mann-Conomy update, users skilled with modelling and animating may create weapons or re-skins for items in TF2 and submit them for approval at Valve, if they like it, they will add stats to it (most of the time) and put it in an update; it will also show up at the store, and the creators of the items will receive part of the money gained from sales of their stuff.

Most of the items that we have been getting lately are creations from people in the community, with a few exceptions (Valve made the Original, the laser guns and the Quick Fix from the Uber Update).
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Those are pretty amazing and would change things up greatly. Don't know which is my favorite.

I also feel that Robin doesn't like scout that much. For the most part, all his new weapons are melee. But yes, Solly is the favorite out of the family. It's annoying. But whatever.

This reminds me, I need to work on my set.
yukisuna
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: My new PC hates the Mod Tools
Games I'm Playing :: See Interests
xbox live or psn: Samura Yukisuna
Location: Stuck in a place full of happy happiness known as Steam.

Post by yukisuna »

Oh My God, The Sentry Named Recyclicer... God, that looks so Grotesque... D:

When i saw its attack it scared me so i almost fell of my Chair! Please, do NOT add that to the Game! D:

I've never seen a machine that scary before...

on the slightly (completely) Egoistic note ; If one of those ever catches me, theres definitely some Boy out there who will make a Perverted joke about it... trust me, i get about 20 messages each Month that includes a Perverted joke about either Me or Female's Generally, usually i just ignore them, but with this one... Yeah, i wish i never saw this. then i wouldnt be scared of playing TF2 on Servers with Mods...

oh well, the first one looked really cool, please, post more pictures from the Sentries, it would be nice to be able to view them here on Gametoast! :)
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Uhhh... yeah. Sure pal.

Anyway, I doubt the Recycler will ever end up in the game, it's impractical and a bit excessive, I just thought it was cool as heck. I think the lightning sentry might make it, it would be kinda like the Short Circuit, but with a higher voltage and it would dissipate foes, instead of projectiles. Could be a cool sidegrade for the Gunslinger, quite costly (say... 200 metal) and no upgrades, but it would be stealthy and deadly.

I can't really post more pictures because there weren't anymore that were made available.