Confusion with The Orange Box

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Confusion with The Orange Box

Post by Wonderboy »

I bought The Orange Box, and so I tried to install it. It turns out I can't install it offline, and when it connects to my Steam account, it starts preparing Half-Life 2 files for install. This did that when I tried downloading TF2. Will this download all of the files, or will I be able to use the disc? I'm kind of worried that I payed $30 for junk.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Re: Confusion with The Orange Box

Post by GangsterJawa »

Wonderboy wrote:I bought The Orange Box, and so I tried to install it. It turns out I can't install it offline, and when it connects to my Steam account, it starts preparing Half-Life 2 files for install. This did that when I tried downloading TF2. Will this download all of the files, or will I be able to use the disc? I'm kind of worried that I payed $30 for junk.
...You're worried HL2 is junk?

Seriously?

Personally, I've never played it *Puts up riot shield* but it's an incredible game regardless. Like it won game of the year, I do believe. Also, I think there are Half-Life 2 files that are part of TF2 in the first place, so it could do that too.

But no.

it's not junk.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

You will need an internet connection to download the latest TF2 update and all of the files that have been added to it in the past four years (and trust me, there is a lot of files).
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Wonderboy wrote: I'm kind of worried that I payed $30 for junk.
Whoa, whoa there son. Orange box is easily one of the best deals on a disc to date, next to the Prime Trilogy. And yes, most of it is online so you need internet connection to get all the games. But don't fret, you can play all the Half lifes in offline mode. And portal too, (too, not the number two). TF2 is online only.
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Wonderboy »

Ugh, I didn't mean the games! I meant if I payed $30 for something I can't play. I think I'm downloading some TF2 files now. You misunderstood me completely.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Moving_Target wrote:TF2 is online only.
Well technically you can play TF2 offline with bots, but it's very boring and uninteresting. Good for practicing and getting drops, I guess.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

I've got the retail copy of the Orange Box, and from what I remember it contains the base games without any updates. It'll install those using Steam (Which you need an internet connection for), but won't be downloading anything from the internet, at least not until it gets to the updating portion, but updating isn't as big as downloading the whole game. Plus, if you update one game it'll likely update a lot of the others due to them all having many shared files.

So yes, you will need to download some files, but having the Orange Box discs will significantly decrease that amount.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Nihillo wrote:
Moving_Target wrote:TF2 is online only.
Well technically you can play TF2 offline with bots, but it's very boring and uninteresting. Good for practicing and getting drops, I guess.
Touche.

@Wonderboy: How you phrased it allowed for that interpretation and don't worry, I completely understand the frustration of the disc(s) not having the data on it. It's very strange and a poor move of the companies. They did that with Duke.

Fingerfood has it summed up pretty well.
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Wonderboy »

Well, I'm allowing only one update to go at a time, so I'm done with the original Half Life 2, and need to update Episode 1 and 2 along with Portal. But I have to wait with TF2, 5GB of updates lol.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Haha ya, Valve has supported TF2 for a long time.