Team Fortress 2 Über Update

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Team Fortress 2 Über Update

Post by Nihillo »

Remember those useless doves that I mentioned before? They were hinting to a new TF2 update!

Featuring Meet the Medic (that's where the doves came from) and a bunch of Mafia-themed guns and stuff.
Personally I'm just glad that they were more creative this time and didn't just go with adding a silly "vampiric touch" type buff to the new weapons.

You can discuss about the classy and gentlemanly new hats (and the other stuff too, I guess) here.

Edit: forgot to mention that they are offering a "week-long free weekend", so if you have never played TF2 before for some reason, you can start now...ish!
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Team Fortress 2 Über Update

Post by Moving_Target »

Monday: Ok, pretty sweet sets. Fit Heavy and Spy well.
Tuesday: I hate you Valve so much. I already hate melee demos, now this will be more stupidly annoying. (I play scout mainly and it's not pretty when I fight a demoknight) Sniper is pretty cool
Tuesday bonus: OH heck yes. Love it. The first full set I care about.
Wednesday: Solid, interesting. Cool.
Wednesday bonus: Oh Valve, love your comments. Seems pretty cool addition.

So far I'm mixed. The new map looks sweet. But tonight's the night. Meet the medic hopefully and all other info revealed. Engie and Medic better get a set still.

Does make me want to go back and finish up my weapon set for scout to submit.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Don't worry, playing as a Demoknight is hard and requires the player to be skilled, besides the loss of a ranged weapon (the boots are primary) is a factor that should keep the new Demoknights in check.

I have lost count of how many times I failed miserably at attacking people with melee in this game.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

That maybe true, but the damage and range of the sword is rediculious to me. Like if it barely touches you, you lose like half health. Any fuller touch and you're dead. And as a scout. It's basically a one shot.

I try and double/triple jump over and I get back from behind because how demo swings.

I don't know. I think I'm more mad at the part that scout's melees are underpowered now. Back when it came out it was fine, but now. It needs more umf.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Real Scouts use the Boston Basher.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

In Degroot Keep the Scout is a weak class, that's true, but in any other map you still have your shotgun/shotgun-like pistol; if they charge at you, shoot them in the face, at the very least you'll get a chuckle out of it.

I can't wait to see what they will give to the Engineer, hopefully something that encourages the partnership between Pyros and Engineers. Pyros need some form of reward for protecting an Engie (besides the knowledge that they are helping the team).
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Real Scouts use the Boston Basher.
Maybe true, but I like stunning my enemies. I've gotten really good with it.

Seeing what they give engie and medic will be very interesting. Ya, seeing an encouragement for annoying spies would be grand.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Weird move, but I guess it makes sense, I bet the store is making more money than the actual sales for the game, and making it free to play should attract more customers.

I want my exclusive silly "bought the game before it was free to play" hat/whatever, though.

Edit: guess what? The Medic got a new Übercharge... or something: http://youtu.be/36lSzUMBJnc
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

My body was not ready.

As long as the quality and support doesn't drop, I don't care it's free to play.

But holy crap, that meet the medic, was FANTASTIC. I laughed so much.

Kill me
Later.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Oh, so I guess I picked the perfect time to get a gaming laptop.

I can't wait to practice medicine.
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

Servers are going absolutely spaz with TF2 going free. I bought it like 4 years ago and haven't updated it for about 2.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

It's going to be interesting how it transitions to a free to play community wise. I just hope it keeps the current standard.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Moving_Target wrote:I just hope it keeps the current standard.
It won't. FTP games on average have a higher troll population, as now the entire /b/ community has access, rather than just the lurkers of /b/ who have money. However, I trust the current community to kinda keep the new guys in line and sort of set the standard of quality.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Well, let's just say that the option to vote kick people has come at a very opportune time...

It looks like we won't be getting anything new for the Engineer, shame. No love for the Engies.

Edit:
Nihillo wrote:I want my exclusive silly "bought the game before it was free to play" hat/whatever, though.
And I got it..
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

What if we didn't buy the game but got it during the free week prior to the update?
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Well, it says "Proof of Purchase" so I don't think you can get it, sorry Grev. :P
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
It won't. FTP games on average have a higher troll population, as now the entire /b/ community has access, rather than just the lurkers of /b/ who have money. However, I trust the current community to kinda keep the new guys in line and sort of set the standard of quality.
That's my fear, but the servers I go to won't deal with that and will kick/ban. We'll see. I'm playing almost all weekend.

Proof of Purchase is kinda disappointing. When will Valve give some actually cool for those who've been with tf2 for so long? Minus the primevil warrior and grizzled vet. I got Soldier of Fortune.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Moving_Target wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:
That's my fear, but the servers I go to won't deal with that and will kick/ban. We'll see. I'm playing almost all weekend.

Proof of Purchase is kinda disappointing. When will Valve give some actually cool for those who've been with tf2 for so long? Minus the primevil warrior and grizzled vet. I got Soldier of Fortune.
I think the best way for valve to handle it is to give every "veteran" $10 worth of Mann-store purchase-ability, and whatever hats to prove previous playtime.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Moving_Target wrote:Proof of Purchase is kinda disappointing. When will Valve give some actually cool for those who've been with tf2 for so long? Minus the primevil warrior and grizzled vet. I got Soldier of Fortune.
Well, to quote the TF2 Wiki:
The hat itself is from the TF2 Beta that was leaked in 2003 with Half-Life 2's beta. It was worn by the Commando class, what seemed to be the Soldier class at the time. The character design can be found in the artwork section of the TF2 official website in the concept art section. There is also video of the beta in action that was the code pieced together by Team GabeN.
So it is a very, very, very old-school hat. :P

Edit: the Quick Fix is broken, an Ubercharged Scout rush is ridiculously overpowered.