Some DF related questions...

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Ping
Sith
Sith

Some DF related questions...

Post by Ping »

So, I've been thinking of buying DF (Dark Forces) off of Steam, but I want to know a couple things first:

-Do I need to download DOSbox first?
-Can any fan-made mods work with it?
-Will there be compatibility issues with Win7?

That's really it....
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Some DF related questions...

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

All games off Steam are meant to be downloaded and played instantly without anything extra. Sometimes, some tech support is required, but you can usually find a quick fix in the Steam forums. DF1 is the only one that utilizes DOSbox and I am almost certain that Steam installs the required emulator with the game itself. As for DF2, it doesn't use the DOSbox, so I think there might be one or two compatability issues, but again, there will probably be a fix in the Steam forums.

If you really want to know if the will work with your system, I'd peruse the Steam forums to see what kind of tech issues people are having with Win7, if any at all, and perhaps even post your specs and ask if someone has a similar system to give you some feedback.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Re: Some DF related questions...

Post by Ping »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:All games off Steam are meant to be downloaded and played instantly without anything extra. Sometimes, some tech support is required, but you can usually find a quick fix in the Steam forums. DF1 is the only one that utilizes DOSbox and I am almost certain that Steam installs the required emulator with the game itself. As for DF2, it doesn't use the DOSbox, so I think there might be one or two compatability issues, but again, there will probably be a fix in the Steam forums.

If you really want to know if the will work with your system, I'd peruse the Steam forums to see what kind of tech issues people are having with Win7, if any at all, and perhaps even post your specs and ask if someone has a similar system to give you some feedback.
Gotcha. I do own the whole series, but getting DF to work is causing me so much grief that I think it would be easier to just buy it off of Steam.

And I was previously unaware of a Steam forum. I'll definitely have to look.