Portal 2 and the Portal Updates

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Portal 2 and the Portal Updates

Post by Hebes24 »

Moving_Target wrote:I want to know what happens next.
Personally, I'm hoping that
Hidden/Spoiler:
Chell meets up with Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance in HL2:EP3. But then again, I think I remember Valve stating that a Portal-HL2 crossover wouldn't happen. Oh well.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Hebes24 wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Chell meets up with Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance in HL2:EP3. But then again, I think I remember Valve stating that a Portal-HL2 crossover wouldn't happen. Oh well.
Hidden/Spoiler:
That and Portal 2 is like 200 years in the future. So the adventures of Alyx and Freeman would already have happened.
Or maybe not

"It has been stated by Gabe Newell in an October 2007 interview that Chell has importance in the overall Half-Life universe, and will eventually have a fairly significant relationship with some of the other characters that we are already familiar with"
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Moving_Target wrote:
Hebes24 wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
That and Portal 2 is like 200 years in the future. So the adventures of Alyx and Freeman would already have happened.
Or maybe not

"It has been stated by Gabe Newell in an October 2007 interview that Chell has importance in the overall Half-Life universe, and will eventually have a fairly significant relationship with some of the other characters that we are already familiar with"
Considering the achievement Ship Overboard,
Hidden/Spoiler:
Didn't the Borealis involve Time Travel? If it did, then maybe that could explain how they could meet.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Maybe. I know the half life wiki has an article about it. Didn't focus read on it though.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I wouldn't take the Chell/Half-life thing too seriously. That was written in 2007, and at that point Portal 2 didn't involve portals, was set in the 1950s, and was about Cave Johnson turning into a robot/losing his humanity, starting a robot uprising, and trying to kill you because of all the Turrets you had unjustly destroyed.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Haha. Really? That's awesome. I'd play that. I saw articles about what Portal 2 was to be, just never read them.

Haha ya. I'm not taking the vague parts of Valve's story telling seriously. It's just fun to talk about and try to see how it fits together. Like the L4D franchise.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Considering the achievement Ship Overboard,
Hidden/Spoiler:
Didn't the Borealis involve Time Travel? If it did, then maybe that could explain how they could meet.
No,
Hidden/Spoiler:
it appears to have involved teleportation. By the looks of it, Aperture Science was working in a device capable of teleporting large vehicles (such as an icebreaker ship).

This would be a valuable asset to the Combine, since they can only teleport from one dimension to another, and from then on they have to use conventional means of travel to reach their intended destination, if they could get that sort of tech working, they would be able to teleport whole armies wherever they wanted, and it wouldn't require as much energy as their inter-dimensional wormhole technique.

So I guess that's pretty much what is at stake in Episode 3.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

On a vaguely off-topic note, this is actually the first thread ever where I've avoided reading the hide tags.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

By the way, did you guys get the Final Transmission achievement? It's related to yet another one of those gimmicky radios transmitting a signal, just like in the first Portal ARG, it can be used to produce a SSTV picture, here's the image contained in the signal:

WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD
Hidden/Spoiler:
Now you know where Ratman went. There must be some sort of installation up there, where they collected moon rocks to be used in the conversion gel.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Cool.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Moving_Target wrote:
Hebes24 wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Or maybe not

Is it really that far in the future? I thought I had read somewhere that Portal 2 was between Half Life 1 and 2?
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Portal 1 is between the Half Lifes.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

What if Portal 2 were an awesome movie?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Want. Want so bad...

They could do it, too, provided they don't focus too much on puzzle solving and more on GLaDOS/Wheatley's dialogue in the chambers.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Teancum wrote:What if Portal 2 were an awesome movie?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Yep, saw it on Kotaku, awesome poster. :D
Twilight_Warrior wrote:They could do it, too, provided they don't focus too much on puzzle solving and more on GLaDOS/Wheatley's dialogue in the chambers.
So basically you are proposing a movie where Wheatley and GLaDOS bicker at each other for a hour and a half while Cave Johnson plays pre-recorded messages?

I demand that Twilight Warrior be given a job as a film producer immediately!
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

:P
I didn't say completely cut Chell out, I just meant do it like the Boots trailer, show some simple action moves inside the chambers while the story plays out. Just don't make it where nothing is really going on except music playing as Chell tried to figure out how to solve each individual chamber.
Thire
Major
Major

Post by Thire »

I think the Co-Op Story would function pretty well as a feature presentation. Atlas and Pebody are very love-able imo.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Awesome. That'd be pretty sweet. I'd go see it. Well since Portal 2 was more story than puzzles it's quite possible.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Have been playing Portal 2 and loving it. The puzzles I've found to be more difficult than Portal 1, and alot of times I found myself overthinking about what to do. Currently going through the gel chambers. Also,
Hidden/Spoiler:
I kind of wish they elaborated more on the Borealis, but can't have everything, I guess. Episode 3 of Half-Life 2 needs to come. :P
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Ping wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I kind of wish they elaborated more on the Borealis, but can't have everything, I guess. Episode 3 of Half-Life 2 needs to come. :P
IMO that's actually one of the strongest parts of Portal 1 and 2, not knowing everything, a bit of mystery I guess.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Plus, in this case, we'll find out when EP3 comes out. After Duke Nukem Forever.