Counter-Strike: Source - Deathrun Jailbreak

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Karnage
Commander Randomtoast
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Overwatch
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Counter-Strike: Source - Deathrun Jailbreak

Post by Karnage »

So I finally decided to check out the Source SDK and Hammer Editor. I thought that making maps for Source games was a lot more complex than it really is. Thankfully, it's pretty simple.

So, I'm working on my first map. In this case, it's a deathrun map for Counter-Strike: Source with a prison break/jail break feel to it.

If you've never played on a deathrun map, do it right now. This is how it works: 2-3 Terrorists usually start in a narrow hallway with a wall or a large gap separating the terrorists from the counter-terrorists. The counter-terrorists spawn on a set path, wide or narrow depending on the setting. The counter-terrorists have to walk along this path avoiding traps or tricking the terrorists into setting off the traps. If the counter-terrorists manage to make it through all the traps, they usually enter a room at the end of a path with a large supply of guns. They then head out to finish off the terrorists in the hallway. Considering that the terrorists are only given knives, they rarely have a chance of defending themselves. Then again, usually only 2-4 counter-terrorists make it through all the traps, if that many.

Now, this map has a twist to it; prison/jail break. This is another mod for Counter-Strike where the terrorists start out in prison cells with only knives and the counter-terrorists act as prison wardens that give the terrorists things to do with the penalty of death if they don't listen.

So this map pretty much turns prison break around. Now the terrorists make counter-terrorists do stuff.

So I decided to combine them. Here are some screenshots of what I have so far. If you've ever played either of these mods, or if you just have some good ideas for traps or design, tell me.
Hidden/Spoiler:
One of the Counter-Terrorist spawn points.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Another counter-terrorist spawn point.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Terrorist's view of the spawn point. Counter-terrorists can't see terrorists in this map.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
First trap - if you walk through that opening a terrorist can push a button that pushes you into the electric chair which then proceeds to electrocute you...obviously.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Terrorist's view of the first trap.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Second trap - shot for shot/s4s. In this case it's just shot for.../s4...seeing as the counter-terrorists have no chance of shooting back.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Terrorist's view of the second trap. If a counter-terrorist is standing in the way of the laser when the button is pressed...he gets a shot to the head.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Third, fourth, fifth, and sixth traps all in the same room. I won't give this one away. All I will say is this is where prison break really comes in.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Terrorist's view of the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th traps.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Inside the cage.Image
Hidden/Spoiler:
Go ahead...grab a gun.Image
I've included little easter eggs hidden in places around the map. They're not super easy to find as they're not exactly sitting out in the open.

So this is what I have so far. I'm still thinking up ideas for further traps, there have to be quite a few to make the cut. So if you've played deathrun or prison break and have some ideas for traps, go ahead and post them. If I use your idea, I'll add you into the in-game credits on a wall somewhere. I'll need testers sometime, but I'll let you guys know when that is.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Re: Counter-Strike: Source - Deathrun Jailbreak

Post by Fingerfood »

Wow. Quite the map maker, aren't we?

Quick ambience tip - try using the point_spotlight entity. Works wonders. :)

And I suppose I could always test. Whenever that is, of course.
Karnage
Commander Randomtoast
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Overwatch
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Counter-Strike: Source - Deathrun Jailbreak

Post by Karnage »

Thanks for the tip Fingerfood. That really makes the lights look a whole lot better.

Anybody got some ideas for more traps. I'm sort of stumped at the moment. I have a few more traps in mind, but I'm gonna need quite a few more and I want some original traps.