Map Manager (Alpha) (Outdated - Do Not Use)

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Map Manager (Alpha) (Outdated - Do Not Use)

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

The Map Manager is a program which will help everyone keep their custom maps up to date. It will connect to a central server to download a list of maps. The program then displays a list of maps you do not have and a list of maps that have released newer versions then your current version. It doesn't matter where the map is being hosted, Map Manager can download them as long as there is a direct link to the map download.
Download Link: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... ager;59385

Later version is at: https://www.se.rit.edu/~dpk3062/swbf2/

In the program, maps are stored in a backup folder. This is the case because SWBF2 can't handle maps with the same 3-char code and Map Manager can. The program lets you decide which maps you want to play and keeps them in the addon folder, then moves the other maps into the backup folder.

The 3-character code map names are displayed in the map list for evey map. However, if the custom map contains a mapmanager.txt file in it, the program can display much more information about that map. Map Manager can display the map's full name, author, mini-map, version, website, the readme, pictures, gametypes, and many more things. Map makers, please include this file in your releases from now on. It will help everyone using Map Manager, further advertise your map, and it does not take long to make.

mapmanager.txt format:
[key] = [value]
---------------------
author = [String]
authorsite = [String]
authoremail = [String]
name = [String]
version = [Positive Number (1.4.2.7 is not a number, but 1.427 is) ]
readme = [file name]
preview = [file name]
map = [file name]
pic = [file name]
credits = [String]
mode = [String]
aisupport [String]
---------------------

Example file:
author = BFG Tournment
authorsite = http://www.battleforthegalaxy.com
authoremail = email@place.something
name = BFG Practice Vehicle Range
version = 1.12
readme = readme.txt
preview = small.jpg
map = miniMap.jpg
pic = large.jpg
pic = large2.jpg
credits = I would like to thank the following people:
credits = Dawg, Mickd, Walker, Zerted
credits = PAN-Fnord, Teancum, and many others
credits = for all their help and support.
mode = g_con
mode = c_Diet Dr. Pepper
mode = g_hunt
aisupport = yes

The keys don't have to be lowercase. Every key can be used more than once except for "name", "version", and "preview".
"Preview" is a very small picture that will be display in the map list along with the map name and 3-char code.
"Map" is a picture of the overhead map (mini-map).
"Pic" is any other pictures you want included.
"Version" has to be a valid number.
The files don't have to be in the map's root directory. Map Manager will find them.
"AIsupport" defines if you setup paths for the AI. It takes "yes", "y", "no", or "n". Letter case does not matter.

How to install:
Unzip the file. Simple isn't it.

How to run program:
Run MapManagerAlpha.exe. It will prompt you for your game's addon folder and a backup folder. This information will be stored in the file "config" which is created in folder where you ran MapManagerAlpha.exe.

After you select the folders, the main display will be displayed. Click on "Show Help" for more instructions if you can't figure out what to do.

Current Version: vAlpha R2

Things to do:
Connect to server (beta R1)
Display list of new/updated maps (beta R2)
Download new/updated maps (v1)
Display info from mapmanager.txt (beta R1) (currently reads the text file, but doesn't do anything with the info)
Display map pictures (v1)
Fix issues
Change colors (unless people like blue and magenta. Do you?)
Fix where frames pop-up
Fix frame sizes

Known Issues:
Maps with the same 3-char code are displayed correctly, but override each other when moved into same directory. Keep them apart (one in addon folder, the other in backup folder ).
When movings maps around, Map Manager creates a temp folder in the backup directory to keep maps from moving into each other. It should be deleted when the program ends but its not. Note: if there is a map in the temp folder when the program ends, then a map move failed somewhere. You should be prompted when a move fails. This is the directory the prompt tells you to check.

Email me at zerted+MM@gmail.com if you want your map included in Map Manager's download list. I need the map's name, map's 3-char code, current version, and the map's download link. You can send the info over XFire to user "zerted" instead.

I don't have the time to make a website for the program, so email me or post here with any questions/comments/whatever.

Links:
FileFront Download link: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... ager;59385
GameToast link: http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=4526
LucasForums link: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=163067
Offical Forums link: http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa ... 2&tstart=0
Last edited by [RDH]Zerted on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
benkenobi

Post by benkenobi »

I dont know.. i think i might prefer map packs
Narlie-Charlie

Post by Narlie-Charlie »

This is just the kind of thing I need. Will it cover all the maps here, or just the ones whose authors decide to put their maps on?
NegativeSmiley

Post by NegativeSmiley »

It should cover everything thats hosted here. Thats what i've gathered so far from talking to Zerted about this.
When I click on Show Help Nothing appears. What now Zerted?

Edit: About the colors. Let people choose theirs. That would be cool.
Narlie-Charlie

Post by Narlie-Charlie »

Needs a scroll bar.
NegativeSmiley

Post by NegativeSmiley »

For those who can't get it working make sure you have the newest version of Java.
When will we be able to connect w/ Gametoast and download these maps? When's the next release basically?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Another feature might be the 'create a dedicated server' feature. One that allows you to pick mod maps and adjust settings.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

It can cover any map with a direct download link to it. Meaning a link ending in .zip, .rar, etc... The next release was going to be this upcoming Monday, but I've been spending my free time adding to the elevator example map and attempting to create new game modes.

I already created a server program, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to intergrate them... It can only make batch files to run servers though. I can't find any documentation on how to intergrate with the game like BlackOp's server software does. If anyone wants to provide me with the information...
benkenobi

Post by benkenobi »

I have a question.. before runnin it for the first time, should we empty our addon folders?
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

It won't make any changes to your map files until you press the "Move'em", "New Map", or "Delete" button. It doesn't matter where the files are when it starts. The maps in your addon folder should be checked marked and displayed in a different color.

A scroll bar will be added to the map list and anything else that needs it.
benkenobi

Post by benkenobi »

when is v. 2 coming?
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Version 1 isn't even out yet. I want to finish my elevator map first, then I will spend all my free time working on the program. I just need someone to model me a box: http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=4550
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Leviathan »

Zerted', according to Exclamation, it seems that your "Map Manager" program has been programed using Sun Microsystems Java Technology, and I know that a certain number of GameToast / FileFront members would not appreciate to download the Java Runtime Environment so as to make it working properly, and that's why I would like to know if you could convert it to C++, by following instructions provided on Google, and easily findable on such a results page...
theguarder

Post by theguarder »

Nice avatar Lev :P

And i was wondering when i have completed my map and the mapmanager.txt... where should i add the direct download link?
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

I don't know how to program GUIs (graphical user interfaces) in C++, so I used Java. None of the converters I've heard of can convert Java Swing to C++. I can get ride of the GUI and convert it to C++, but then no one would want to use it. I assumed everyone would already have a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed with the amount of JavaScripts on websites.

I can package a JRE with the Map Manger so you wouldn't have to go to another web site to download and install it, but that would greatly increase the program size. I might be able to use an Ahead-of-Time Complier, but those cost a lot. I'd run into the same trouble people are having with the XSI trial. I'll look into it.

The mapmanager.txt goes somewhere in your map folder. The download link goes to me along with your complete map name, 3-char map name, and version number. I might get a web site up that will allows you to submit the map info directly.

E-mail: zerted+MM@gmail.com
or XFire: zerted
or PM me
Blackcurrent

Post by Blackcurrent »

I agree, most people have JRE installed. It's kinda hard to browse the web without it. And you get prompted for it on many websites. You even get prompted for it when running the program if you don't have it.
mnl1121

Post by mnl1121 »

i don't get why a new version hasn't come out yet. There r a ton of new maps that i can't keep up with, and if im not mistaken ur done with ur elevator example right?
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Progress Update

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Simple answer: I've been too busy.

I had tests in all my classes this week and I am looking for a summer/fall co-op. The good thing about the tests, is that I won't have much homework this weeekend, so I'll have more time to program.

I designed the program to support maps with the same 3-char code. That was the only thing I was planning this program to do. Since then, it is has expanded to do much more. A complete redesign was needed. I have redesigned the program and am completely starting over as of yesterday. At the very least, it will be as good as the alpha version by Sunday.

:arrow: I had to change the mapmanager.txt format slightly. The 'gamemode' and 'side' tags have been replaced by the 'mode' tag. This change is needed to let the program better integrate with a server manager. My first post was updated yesterday. Maps with the old foramt will not cause any problems with the newer version.

I haven't finished my elevator map. I just need someone to make me a box in XSI. Anyone? Thats all I need. Please Please Please
mnl1121

RE: Progress Update

Post by mnl1121 »

oh ok i didn't know that. thx for the update though.
[BFG]Mickd

Post by [BFG]Mickd »

great work zerted.