Msh chunk interface

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

madk
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Procrastinating on my NaNoWriMo
Games I'm Playing :: Oblivion and SWBFII

Msh chunk interface

Post by madk »

Some time ago I started working on this. It never really got finished so that it was completely functional.

More recently, I became interested in modding SWBF2 again.

Now you can use this tool to effortlessly manipulate the chunk content of a msh file.

Requests for new functionality will not go ignored!
Hidden/Spoiler:

(Please don't get too mad if things don't work how they should ingame. I haven't got any good way to test it right now, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work dandily.)

Download
fasty
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Server modding
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: Msh chunk interface

Post by fasty »

Looks awsome, I'll have to try this sometime.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I had actually sent you(biohazard) a PM about this a long time ago. Eventually I gave up all hope you would return. Glad to see it's release. Downloaded and I'll test it soon.

Offtopic: Any reason you're not using your old Biohazard account?
madk
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by madk »

Can't seem to remember my password, and the email I used with the account is also since forgotten. :?
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

^It may be because he lost his password..
Great job on the tool! I'll download and test this when I have the time. :thumbs:
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Looks usefull. ;) UI could take some work though.

Dunno if this can be usefull to you at this stage, but Ive updated the msh tables from riley-man.com(which is down now) with some additional information:
MSH tables
Its still missing some info(cloth, animation). If you have info youd like to share, PM me and Ill update the tables.
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

Very nice is there a way this could add textures too?
madk
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by madk »

I'm actually working on a bit of code right now to recognize and let the user handle matl chunks. Matl chunks are done slightly differently from the others but the exception should be rather trivial to implement.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

madk wrote:Can't seem to remember my password, and the email I used with the account is also since forgotten. :?

Well a PM to the Staff (namely Maveritchell, or Teancum) fixes that problem. :P
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by RogueKnight »

Well, honestly, I liked the old interface better, the ones from the version you gave me, but the functionality appears to be quite good.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

So, basically, this does everything we had to use hex-editing for? Does it bypass some problems of hex-editing, like the model screwing up?
madk
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by madk »

RogueKnight wrote:Well, honestly, I liked the old interface better, the ones from the version you gave me, but the functionality appears to be quite good.
I know the interface is a good deal more complicated, but that's a consequence of the level of control it offers. The original program allowed you to mess around with MODL chunks and nothing else. This program allows you to modify any chunk, regardless of its type or location within the file. (And I chose the graphics you see because they are incredibly convenient)

ggctuk wrote:So, basically, this does everything we had to use hex-editing for? Does it bypass some problems of hex-editing, like the model screwing up?
To the first: yep, it should. And if there's something it can't do that it should let me know and I'll correct that. The second: if there are issues doing something that ought to work, bring it to me and I'll do what I can to make it function properly. All the program is doing is the hex editing you'd be figuring anyway, it just abstracts it for you and makes sure there are no mistakes made. If something can't be done with hex editing it probably can't, and likely won't be possible to, be done with this.

Also, OP has been updated. The program now recognizes MATL chunks and has some other minor additions.
tirpider
Lance Corporal

Post by tirpider »

madk,

I'm also working on the msh structure with the goal of making a gui based editor.
I am documenting my progress on another forum (http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3905.0).
I was wondering if you would be interested in sharing notes?

-edit- removed signature
madk
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by madk »

I'd be happy to work together, but I honestly doubt I've learned anything you haven't. If there's anything you'd like my tool to be able to do that would help you figure things out, I'd be glad to implement it.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

madk wrote:
ggctuk wrote:So, basically, this does everything we had to use hex-editing for? Does it bypass some problems of hex-editing, like the model screwing up?
To the first: yep, it should. And if there's something it can't do that it should let me know and I'll correct that. The second: if there are issues doing something that ought to work, bring it to me and I'll do what I can to make it function properly. All the program is doing is the hex editing you'd be figuring anyway, it just abstracts it for you and makes sure there are no mistakes made. If something can't be done with hex editing it probably can't, and likely won't be possible to, be done with this.
What I mean is, does it prevent model glitches like these?
Hidden/Spoiler:
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

ggctuk wrote:What I mean is, does it prevent model glitches like these?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Those aren't glitches, they look like user errors in weighting prior to export. This can be fixed in 5 minutes within XSI.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

AceMastermind wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Those aren't glitches, they look like user errors in weighting prior to export. This can be fixed in 5 minutes within XSI.
They are all hex-edited models - the last I hex-edited myself using the clean Ep3 model. Maybe there's something about the import process that messes the weighting up.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Hex edited or not it's still user error and can be fixed quickly in XSI. Send me the msh files or you can try it again using biohazard's Mshedit tool.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

The first one was just me being unknowledgeable. I found a model with the exact number of MATDs that I needed, removed all of its MODL chunks, and added in all the MODL chunks from TCW clone trooper and the jetpack. It worked with other models, but I guess there was something special with TCW clone trooper.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

ggctuk wrote:
AceMastermind wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
They are all hex-edited models - the last I hex-edited myself using the clean Ep3 model. Maybe there's something about the import process that messes the weighting up.

jep this was an error in XSI. i deletet an edge XD