PS2 modtools release

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

PS2 modtools release

Post by Teancum »

NOTE:
  • You cannot use VisualMunge - you'll need to munge manually through each batch file in /common, /world/ABC, etc
  • You MUST have a modded PS2 to test out these mods. There's no way to get this content on a memory card or anything like that
  • You need to have a pretty thorough understanding of how to make maps/mods to use this tool. I do not support this release, but I'll answer questions where I can.
This is just a modified version of my Xbox tools that munges for PS2 instead of Xbox. I'm guessing that if the textures are low resolution enough it might work for the PSP too. I dunno.

Download PS2_test_SWBF2_Tools.exe from MediaFire
G_M_StYlEr_M
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft XD

Re: PS2 modtools release

Post by G_M_StYlEr_M »

PS2 O.o how can thiswork you need to burn a new dvd ,Or Not ?
Master_Ben
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: Watching your PC over your shoulder. No, the other sholder....

Post by Master_Ben »

:shock: Epic, although I'll have no way of using it. :P

@ G_M_StYlEr_M: If I'm correct, having little to none experience, you burn it to a CD, put in the actual disk, and switch them at the right time to skip the PS2's chack for burnt CD's... using various methods I'm not positive are discussable here, so I'll stay away from them, but the internet is your ally here.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

It should work, with the PSP, since I believe the models are pretty much the same resolution, only the textures are lower-res. As I have the latest PSP firmware, I cannot actually test it out yet. But if it DOES work, then good, we can make mods for the PSP. I don't see why not, since the LVL format is used in the PSP format too.
G_M_StYlEr_M
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by G_M_StYlEr_M »

Master_Ben wrote::shock: Epic, although I'll have no way of using it. :P

@ G_M_StYlEr_M: If I'm correct, having little to none experience, you burn it to a CD, put in the actual disk, and switch them at the right time to skip the PS2's chack for burnt CD's... using various methods I'm not positive are discussable here, so I'll stay away from them, but the internet is your ally here.

hahaha you have no experience with ps 2 games or ?

first a cd has only 700 mb in size okay? i say dvd and i mean a dvd.

and you can make it with a burning chip ;)

Though it's your right to make playable copies of your own PS2 games for backup, it's not simple. To copy PS2 games, you need three tools:

* Compatible copying software
* Appropriate copy media
* A PS2 Mod Chip or boot disc
okay ? :wink:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

And that is where the discussion ends. This topic is not for how to play modded PS2 games. If you don't know how, then these tools aren't for you. This is only for experienced modders who already know how to make discs for the PS2.

Any further discussion of how to play burnt discs or how to use a custom hard drive for the PS2 will result in a warning. As Master_Ben said, the internet is your ally here. Use Google and search for how if you want, but we don't discuss that here. We discuss only how to mod Star Wars Battlefront II for the PS2/PSP in this topic, not how to get your hardware ready for such.
G_M_StYlEr_M
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by G_M_StYlEr_M »

Teancum wrote:And that is where the discussion ends. This topic is not for how to play modded PS2 games. If you don't know how, then these tools aren't for you. This is only for experienced modders who already know how to make discs for the PS2.

Any further discussion of how to play burnt discs or how to use a custom hard drive for the PS2 will result in a warning. As Master_Ben said, the internet is your ally here. Use Google and search for how if you want, but we don't discuss that here. We discuss only how to mod Star Wars Battlefront II for the PS2/PSP in this topic, not how to get your hardware ready for such.
Okay Okay Homie, my fail
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Hey, maybe the FAQ thread ought to be edited. It still says that you can't make mods for the PS2.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

These still haven't been tested, so that's still true.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I have too high a firmware version for any current modifications to the PSP, so I cannot actually load the custom games. I am fairly confident that it should work, even if it requires a bit of tweaking, and even if, at the end, all I can do is script mod.
_=XL=_Danny
Private

Post by _=XL=_Danny »

Right how am i supposed to use this when i cant even download this? Oh Teancum do you have xfire?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

_=XL=_Danny wrote:Right how am i supposed to use this when i cant even download this?
Kinda rude, dontcha think?

Anyway, here's the files, but I don't have XFire anymore. Either nobody was online when I was, or too many people were.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2c5muw72cv0c6rf

You need to understand the PC mod tools (and must have them installed as well) to use this. Don't expect this to be an easy task. That's why nobody has attempted it yet.
nobody3
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by nobody3 »

Hi, I'm not trying to ressurect this topic, just adding some info (it says you can make exception if you have useful info in your site rules lol)

Just want to say that you don't need these files uploaded by Teancum to munge a ps2 stuff with mod tools. All you need is already included in normal mod tools, trick is to go to _BUILD folder and rightclick-edit munge.bat and change "set MUNGE_PLATFORM=PC" to "set MUNGE_PLATFORM=PS2"

I tested this some time ago and succesfully played with changed side and new map but I had to scale down the .tga textures to maximum of 128x128 I think

So it's definitely possible to make mods for PS2, just need a way to add them to the game (I replaced existing map to launch the new map... yeah I know its not preferable lol)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

nobody3 wrote:Hi, I'm not trying to ressurect this topic, just adding some info (it says you can make exception if you have useful info in your site rules lol)

Just want to say that you don't need these files uploaded by Teancum to munge a ps2 stuff with mod tools. All you need is already included in normal mod tools, trick is to go to _BUILD folder and rightclick-edit munge.bat and change "set MUNGE_PLATFORM=PC" to "set MUNGE_PLATFORM=PS2"
I wasn't able to get everything to munge on those platforms by that simple switch. Some things worked, some didn't -- but admittedly I did this a long time ago. This release includes some SWBF1 munge executables and hard-codes every switch to PS2 to ensure it works. Maybe your fix is all that was needed, I'm not sure. I certainly didn't have any luck doing it that way at the time.
nobody3
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by nobody3 »

you may be right about that, I only tried maps and side files so far
rc1207sev
Private Second Class
Projects :: SWRC Capital Supremacy
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF-SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: DolphinRepublic

Post by rc1207sev »

Hi I tried looking through the language files, but I couldn't find a map name/description for PS2. What should I be looking for?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about creating languages for PS2, most of what you need can be created in the same way PC users do by using the PC localization tool. Unfortunately we don't have the PS2-specific stuff, so you'll have to figure that stuff out.
rc1207sev
Private Second Class
Projects :: SWRC Capital Supremacy
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF-SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: DolphinRepublic

Post by rc1207sev »

Teancum wrote:I'm not sure what you mean
When I look at it's structure, it looks exactly like a data folder (ex. data_UTC), but if I want to edit the map name/description, I'm not sure what to look for in the language files.

EDIT: Also, where is the target location for the munger? Like, once you munge, where can I find it? would it be in the same place as normal mods?

EDIT2: I just found a possible "test ps2 mod on computer" thingy. It's in data_***/_BUILD/bin/PS2Run.exe
Oh, wait. It doesn't work. But, you can still run the mod on BF2 PC strangely