Fierfek's Star Wars Battlefront II Mapping/Modding Tutorial

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

Fierfek
High General
High General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: Somewhere in the Galaxy (Most Likely Scrapping Tinnies)

Fierfek's Star Wars Battlefront II Mapping/Modding Tutorial

Post by Fierfek »

The latest version of my BF2 Mapping Tutorial is released!
Here is the link:
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... ide;101791
Enjoy!
Par3210
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Fierfek's Star Wars Battlefront II Mapping/Modding Tutorial

Post by Par3210 »

great job! :D
This'll come in useful for the newbies and also the oldies :lol:
Edward_Cullen
Spam Alert! I post my opinions endlessly to start drama!
Location: Somewhere in a Dark Forest drinking a Mountain Lion's blood... I knew you needed to know that...

Post by Edward_Cullen »

This tutorial's great Fierfek! I know it helped me alot. Like Par3210 said, this guide relates to knew users and old ones! Fierfek rocks! :jango: I love this guide. :faint:
Slamdance
Private Recruit

Post by Slamdance »

This is fierfek, it's clear and easy to understand. :thumbs:
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

After going through this tutorial I found a few things that need attention:
Part 1. First Map Mistakes
- First maps are often HUGE. First mappers don’t realize that the 2 command posts they placed will take 10 minutes to walk across. I would suggest importing some Clone Trooper objects (ModID\common\sides\rep), just to make sure you’re not making the map too big.
What exactly are "Clone Trooper objects"?
and this path does not exist:
(ModID\common\sides\rep)

Part 7: Munging

At the right, click Select All. Now, click Munge. Wait several minutes for it to be done munging. Then, a notice like this will come up:
A Notepad will also come up, telling you the errors. You can just exit that. Click OK, then you can go run Battlefront
You don't need to click on "Select All" unless you've actually edited everything in your world, just Munge with the default option checked(Common) and/or your custom side in the Sides drop-down menu.
Also, if you get errors in the munge log then you must fix those first, there's no need to play your map until then.

Part 8. Vehicles

Okay, open up zeroeditor. Make sure you are in the conquest layer. Now, in objects, click browse. Go to ModID\common\odfs. Find com_item_vehicle_spawn. You will also need to create control zones for your command posts. Control zones are made exactly the same way as capture zones, except for a few differences:
I think you meant "Control Regions", they are of course optional.

Part 12. Packaging

First, make a folder called the 3 initials you chose for your file (in our case, MAP). In that folder, make a folder called data. In that folder, make a folder called _lvl_pc. In that folder (lots of folders!) make a folder called your 3 initials again (MAP for us). Now, the first file you need in put in the first MAP folder, next to data. Go into data_MAP, and into the addme folder, then the munged folder. Get the file there, and copy to the new folder. Now, in the _lvl_pc folder. In data_MAP, go to the folder _lvl_pc. Get the files core and mission. Copy those to your new _lvl_pc. Now, for the last one. In data_MAP\_lvl_pc, go into the MAP folder. Get the one file there, and put that in your new MAP folder. So in the end, you should have this:
No need to do all of this, just go to:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\addon
and zip up your modID folder.
It would also be a good idea to include a copy of the README in the same location as the addme.script and data folder as well so folks will know which map it is if they wish to remove some for whatever reason.

Part 16. LUA’s – Custom Sides
This part needs no special scripts to read from the mod folder, so leave this unchanged.
Okay, so now it is ready, right! WRONG!!! BF2 uses this annoying system where we have to copy our side to 2 folders. So, copy your new rep side. Go to data_MAP/_build/sides. Paste the rep folder in there. Make sure to merge folders and replace files. You’ll have to do this after every sides change, or else.
Let’s go to the munger now. Here it is:
I'm not sure why you think you need to copy your side to 2 folders, your actual side assets should be in:
data_modID\Sides\Rep (in this case)
and there already is a REP folder in data_modID\_BUILD\sides with a munge.bat and clean.bat by default since REP is already a shipped side ID

That's all for now...
Nice work on the tutorial overall even though some images didn't seem to show up.
Fierfek
High General
High General
Location: Somewhere in the Galaxy (Most Likely Scrapping Tinnies)

Re: Fierfek's Star Wars Battlefront II Mapping/Modding Tutor

Post by Fierfek »

Thanks Ace! Really appreciate you going through it.
Those things will be fixed in the next version (which won't be out for some time, as I leave for 2 week vacation tomorrow).

EDIT
The errors ACE mentioned have been fixed, and the tutorial has been released again on swbattlefront files.