Meshtool beta 4

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

tsurugi13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Meshtool beta 4

Post by tsurugi13 »

This is an amazing tool. I just got it to work for the first time and... let's just say the envmap command makes for excellent gun barrels, at least if you layer it over a very very dark blue. I'm gonna go envmap the super battle droid now.
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

PC_modelmunge.exe crashes when I try to give the rep_inf_feluciatrooper.msh a bumpmap...

Code: Select all

ERROR[PC_modelmunge msh\rep_inf_feluciatrooper.msh]:CalculateTangentVectors: num strip vertices doesn't match expected after split along mirror boundaries!
tsurugi13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tsurugi13 »

Aman/Pinguin wrote:PC_modelmunge.exe crashes when I try to give the rep_inf_feluciatrooper.msh a bumpmap...

ERROR[PC_modelmunge msh\rep_inf_feluciatrooper.msh]:CalculateTangentVectors: num strip vertices doesn't match expected after split along mirror boundaries!
Just ran into the same thing with the default rep trooper.
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar

Post by Caleb1117 »

Maybe it can't handle creating a bump map for a unit, or the altered structure of the unit's mesh file, is not the environment the tool is used to creating a bump map call in.
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

EP3Sniper works, can't see a difference ingame though...(yes I created a bumpmap)
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR

Post by MandeRek »

It must work on units, since rep applied it to his one as well..

Also, when i use the common cis pistol texture, and use it's bump with this.. Should work right?
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

tsurugi13 wrote:
Aman/Pinguin wrote:PC_modelmunge.exe crashes when I try to give the rep_inf_feluciatrooper.msh a bumpmap...

Just ran into the same thing with the default rep trooper.
Yes I get that a lot. It has something to do with how the people modeled the trooper. "tangent vectors" I'm assuming are normals. Not sure what a mirror boundary is, but I can conjecture that it wants to split along it, and something messed up... yeah have no clue. Just some modeling identity, like faces with no area, or detached vertices, or some odd thing.
tsurugi13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tsurugi13 »

I'm not much of a programmer, so I don't know how difficult it would be, but would it be possible to display the polymesh that each texture projection goes to?
xXxINSANITYxXx
Filthy Thief
Filthy Thief

Post by xXxINSANITYxXx »

when bumping, do u have to create a new texture named (name of .tga)_bump.tga?
elfie
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: no games
xbox live or psn: no live

Post by elfie »

xXxINSANITYxXx wrote:when bumping, do u have to create a new texture named (name of .tga)_bump.tga?
I believe so. You can also check the shipped assets textures and names to see how they set it up.
darkling155
Private First Class

Post by darkling155 »

can this convert tga into msh?
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

>.<
pointless bump!!!!!
tga is the texture format of battlefront msh is the modelformat
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

Yes, I realize this is a bump, but this is a FAQ topic and my question is related to the use of the program.

I'm trying to bumpmap the Galactic Marine, so I followed the steps in the first post and got my bumpmapped model. After looking at it ingame, I saw absolutely NO difference. I read down a bit, and saw talk of a bumpmap texture, and was wondering what i need to do to make a bumpmap texture and have it so that the program will use it.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I believe in order for a bumpmapped model to use a bumpmap texture, you must reference the texture in its .msh.option file like so:

-bump [insert-name-of-texture]
Your bumpmap texture would share the same name as the texture you are "bumpmapping" but with the addition of the _bump at the end of its name. The name in the .msh.option file would not include the _bump part. In order to create a bumpmap for your texture, open the original texture up in GIMP and go to Filters>Light and Shadow>Lighting Effects... and choose the "Bump Map" tab, check the "Enable bump mapping" box, and hit OK. At least I think that's how all this is done...
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

thatst not really right...
here's a bumpmap creation tutorial i wrote some time ago:
DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:i can
small step-by-step tutorial about bumpmapping objects:
1. create you texture here is the texture for the left blade of the cloneassassin i made:
Hidden/Spoiler:
2. then you create another texture/layer and fill it with the color "888888" (if you need things only bumped in, fill it with white, if only bumped out, fill it with black) the bumpmap has to have the same layout as the texture

3. now color the parts that have to be bumped in with a darker color and the things that you want to bump out with a brighter color. as darker/brighter the color, the more will the parts be bumped in/out
my bumpmap looks lile this:
Hidden/Spoiler:

4. if you are done, select the bumpmaplayer and add a greyscalecopy mask to it anfd apply it

5. save the texture with the extension _bump as usual

6. open your model with meshtool, type in bumpmap and select the material that you want to be bumpmapped

7. enjoy your bumpmapped object ingame
the msh.option file is only needed when you use the normal bumpmap without specmap wich is not applied via flag
when you use the meshtool and you chhose bumpmap it bumpmaps and specmaps your object via flag so no msh.option is needed
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

Ok, time for my third :x attempt at posting this...

first of all, regarding bumpmapping, it won't show up if there are no lights shining on it, and I think also if video settings are too low.

second, regarding envmap, it doesn't seem to work for me. It's supposed to make things shiny, right? no such luck, so far as I can tell. I used it on a gray texture and also a colorful texture, and I couldn't see any difference between the objects with it and without it. I noticed in the msh file (formerly m5h) it has helmet_envmap instead of helmet_envmap.tga. This would seem to be a good reason for it to not work, especially because all stock meshes have the ".tga" included, but if thats the case how has everyone else gotten it to work? And yes, I did move the helmet_envmap.tga and helmet_envmap.tga.option files into the world1 folder where the object is. Also, I tried hexediting ".tga" onto the end of "helmet_envmap" but apparently msh files dislike having their data rearranged, as all I managed to do with that attempt was keep the model from showing up ingame.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Jaspo wrote:first of all, regarding bumpmapping, it won't show up if there are no lights shining on it, and I think also if video settings are too low.
Yes, that's bump map, it doesn't even show up with stock objects with those factors you mentioned.

As for environment map, it works the same way as specular map almost. Your MSH just has to have the right material setting (http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 19#p393519).
IronJaw
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by IronJaw »

Great stuff. Though, I must admit, I don't have any idea about half the stuff said about the bumpmaps. :) :roll:

Is there like a "How to use this program for Dumies" [Read IronJaw]? :lol: Again, great stuff. :wink:
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: STALKER - TDU2

Post by Lozza »

Thanks very useful , I was about to do make something the hard way until now. :thumbs:
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Jaspo wrote:helmet_envmap instead of helmet_envmap.tga.

Huh, you're right. Somehow still worked for me though. Did you forget the helmet_envmap.tga.option ?

This was just with "helmet_envmap":