Example Finder (v7-10-2008)

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Example Finder (v7-10-2008)

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Here is the latest tool I've finished. It helps you search your modding files to find examples of things. The regular expressions might be a bit confusing at first but don't worry, they get easier the more you use them.

Download Link: Website -> Folder-> Zipped File (561K)

MediaFire

Readme:
Hidden/Spoiler:
SWBF2 Example Finder
July 10th, 2008 (v7-10-2008)
by [RDH]Zerted

Requirements:
-Java 6 SE
-Knowledge of or the willingness to learn Java's regular expressions
-Something to look for

What It Is:
-The Example Finder provides a (hopefully) easy way to search your modding resources to find examples of things you are trying to learn about or use.
-A generic, regular expression based, text file searcher with SWBF2 related labels and default values.

Quick Usage Steps:
-1) Start the program
-2) Set the search parameters (what to look for, which files to search, the search's starting directory)
-3) Click 'Find It'
-4) Optional: Set the search result selection target (right-click on the text area)
-5) Optional: Click the 'Stop It' button if a search is taking too long
-6) Select any search result you want to explore more detailed

Notable Information:
-Controls with red are invalid. A search cannot be started if there are any invalid fields.
-When typing in a value, you can press [Enter] to re-validate that field or it will automatically re-validate when it loses focus.
-The area at the bottom of the program shows its log output. Debug statements are gray, info statements are black, warnings are in yellow (sorry if it's hard to read), and errors and fatal errors are in red.
-If you would rather click on a search result and have its file open in a different program, right-click on the text area and 'Change Target'.
-Errors on regular expression provide a '^' pointing to the error in the string on the log's output. Due to font sizes, the '^' is most likely point to the wrong character. Sorry.
-Paths with spaces in them may cause problems for external programs used in custom targets

Known Issues:
-There are no know issues

Possible Future Plans:
-Storing last searched for parameters in the drop-down lists
-Storing search results
-Saving changes to edited search result files
-Highlighting of SWBF2's lua functions
-Adding a 'stop' button for loading a search result file

How To Get Help:
-Read each control's tool tips. To see a tool tip, hover your mouse over a control (text field, list, label, button, etc...) for a few seconds without moving it.
-Email [RDH]Zerted or checkout the topic (preferred) about this program at GameToast (email and link in the Resources section below)

Resources:
-Zerted's Email: zerted+SWBF2-ExFind@gmail.com
-GameToast Topic: http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 64&t=14651
-Javadoc on Java's regular expressions: http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/j ... ttern.html
-Download Java 6: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Code Usage:
-If you want the source code, just email me. Its also packaged up in the jar if you can extract it.
-The code is copyrighted by [RDH]Zerted except for the parts Zerted didn't write, like log4j.
-You are not allowed to use the code in any for-profit way without asking for (and getting) permission from its main developer.

Program Usage:
-Use it only and fully at your own risk.
-You are not allowed to the program in any for-profit way without asking for (and getting) permission from its main developer.
-The program is no way associated with or controlled by LucasArts.

What Was Used During Development:
-Ubuntu 8.10
-Eclipse
-Java 6
-Windows 2003
-log4j
-Fat Jar
-JSmooth
-GameToast
Feel free to post suggestions/ideas on the program or the readme.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR

Re: Example Finder (v7-10-2008)

Post by MandeRek »

This is VERY usefull.. I remember you gave me this a while back.. My computer hates Java, so that's what i consider the down-part, and i don't really need it since i know most assets by hard (most!, not all).. But it is Diet Dr. Pepper usefull for people starting in modding, or at least scripting or odfing!

Well done ;)
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Caleb1117 »

Oooooooo. This is some smart beans.
No more digging for that ODF, or scripting call that I can't remember fully.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

MandeRek wrote:This is VERY usefull.. I remember you gave me this a while back.. My computer hates Java, so that's what i consider the down-part...
Yeah, I've had this tool in one form or another for years and I finally decided to make a nice GUI for it and release it. Its excellent for seeing how and where a lua function is used or which ODF files use a certain msh.

I know Java isn't great for small tools since it has to load the JVM, but I do most of my development on a linux computer, so I can't do anything using .Net. Other then .Net, Java's Swing is also the only other graphical interface I know and I've been focusing on better program design compared to learning a new graphical interface.

I haven't decided when I'm going to let it remember your search parameters, but I know I want to. If you have other suggestions by then, I can add those too. Now that this is out, I can get back to working on that era shell...

For those who asked, the code shown in the example is from my era shell, you won't find custom_gModes by searching for it. To add a new game mode, all you have to do is add a new 'id = xxx' to that table. For all those who have added game modes to the shell, yeah thats nice. Adding eras will be that simple too.
theITfactor
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: The Pwnfest and Games Complex
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: You and I Know

Post by theITfactor »

Completely dominates the Windows search :wink: Great job as usual :)
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by trainmaster611 »

Sounds interesting. I shall try it :P