Moddb - Mod of the Year Awards 2010

Show off your mods, get help on a mod, heck, even just have a good time downloading other folks mods. This forum is all about modding for any non-SWBF games.

Moderator: Moderators

Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Moddb - Mod of the Year Awards 2010

Post by Jendo7 »

It's that time of year again.

Mod DB Awards 2010

I've already voted for Mav's Dark Times II mod, and the Star Wars Mod: Galactic Warfare for Call of Duty 4 which came third last year.

MechWarrior: Living Legends for Crysis won in 2009.

What are your choices?
Lephenix

Re: Moddb - Mod of the Year Awards 2010

Post by Lephenix »

Cool , but how can i vote ? ^^
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

On each mod page at moddb, it says vote for this mod. You can vote for as many as you want.

For example: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-mod ... ic-warfare

It counts more if you register.
Lephenix

Post by Lephenix »

Ok , thanks ^^ .
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Well, I'm always interested in playing Half-life 2 mods, as such, they are the most important candidates for mod of the year for me, this year I voted for the HL2 mods Human Error, 1187, and that Dear Esther remake that is in the works.

I have also voted on Mav's Dark Times II and some amazingly well polished RTS mods that I have played or seen a couple times (some of which haven't even been released yet) such as Eastern Front for Company of Heroes. There's also Black Mesa for HL2 and Project Reality for Battlefield 2, they have already won their share of recognition, but I think they deserve to be voted on nonetheless.

I must say, this year has been kinda slow, there is not as many major releases in the modding scene as last year's, but I may be forgetting something, who knows. Oh, I still have to check the Indie Game of the Year Awards at Indiedb.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

I agree with the Battlefield 2 mods, Project Reality being one of the best which did win a few years in a row. Forgotten Hope 2 is another favourite BF2 mod that is very accurate, and detailed that recreates some of the most famous battles of WW2. Generally I go for the FPS genre but I also like RPG's too, and used to play a lot of mods for Oblivion, and Jedi Academy.

It is really good to see some of these older games still being modded. Some seem better than the latest games, or at least have more fun mods. It's just a shame less developers are supporting the modding community for the newer titles.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Jendo7 wrote:I agree with the Battlefield 2 mods, Project Reality being one of the best which did win a few years in a row. Forgotten Hope 2 is another favourite BF2 mod that is very accurate, and detailed that recreates some of the most famous battles of WW2.
I was really hyped up for Forgotten Hope 2, I had been watching it for some time, but when I got around to playing it, there was nobody in the servers... and it wasn't a one day thing either, for two weeks every server I went to was completely empty. I do realize that this has probably changed by now, so I think I will try again.
Jendo7 wrote:It is really good to see some of these older games still being modded. Some seem better than the latest games, or at least have more fun mods.
Agreed. I believe older games have more and better mods simply because they have been around for a longer time, as such, the modding community has had enough time to create tools, learn the tricks of the game's engine and come up with neat ideas.
Jendo7 wrote:It's just a shame less developers are supporting the modding community for the newer titles.
Yeah, I don't really understand why this is happening. Modding is good for the sales, it's common to see people buying a game just so they can play some of the popular mods that are associated with it, heck, some companies even acknowledge this and include such mods with later releases of their games. It would be interesting if this was more commonplace with mainstream games... instead we get the pre-order editions with gimmicky toys and etcetera that hold no actual value whatsoever, hmm, well I'll hold the rant for another occasion.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Minecraft. SO ADDICTING.

Oh yeah, and the spawns of GT as well.
TGB
Private Third Class
Games I'm Playing :: LoL SWBF2 BF3 CNC3
xbox live or psn: pfff xbox

Post by TGB »

i would actually go for the CnC3 KW fan made mod kit, EA never released one
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

can someone post a link to mavs Dark Times 2 please :bowdown: , i cant find it to vote for it :(
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

There you go Sir! :P

Dark Times II :vader2:

Let's hope it gets in the top 10.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

I don't ever bother voting anymore. Half-Life, Battlefield and Crysis mods are too popular to have anything stack up against them.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

That's true but I think it's good to support the mods you like, whether they do well or not. Just to show appreciation.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

True, but it seems semi-pointless since the modders don't get to see the votes. The Convo Pack made it into the top 100 a few years back, but we never knew what place it came in.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Old post:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="Teancum"]The Convo Pack made it into the top 100 a few years back, but we never knew what place it came in.[/quote]

Well, at least you guys were amongst the top 100 most professional mods in the whole site, I'm sure this event has further increased the number of people interested in the Convo Pack.

Your favorite mods may not be able to make it to the end, but being in the top 100 is good for their popularity.
New post:
Phase 2 of MOTY has just started, don't forget to vote!

Lots of Star Wars related stuff this year, huh?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

i keep voting for DT2, i joined :wink: :yes: :thumbs:
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

Nihillo wrote:Old post:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="Teancum"]The Convo Pack made it into the top 100 a few years back, but we never knew what place it came in.
Well, at least you guys were amongst the top 100 most professional mods in the whole site, I'm sure this event has further increased the number of people interested in the Convo Pack.

Your favorite mods may not be able to make it to the end, but being in the top 100 is good for their popularity.[/hide]

New post:
Phase 2 of MOTY has just started, don't forget to vote!

Lots of Star Wars related stuff this year, huh?[/quote]

Yeah, unfortunately Star Wars Battlefront II mods didn't make it in the top 100. There are a few Star Wars related mods like First Strike for Battlefield 2142, and Star Wars Mod: Galactic Warfare for COD4, but I still prefer this game when it comes to mods.

I think if people still love the game, and mod for it that's all that's all that matters in the end. After all, if it wasn't for mods this game would have died years ago, a bit like the generic FPS titles that have come out lately that probably wont last more than a year.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Jendo7 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately Star Wars Battlefront II mods didn't make it in the top 100. There are a few Star Wars related mods like First Strike for Battlefield 2142, and Star Wars Mod: Galactic Warfare for COD4, but I still prefer this game when it comes to mods.

I think if people still love the game, and mod for it that's all that's all that matters in the end. After all, if it wasn't for mods this game would have died years ago, a bit like the generic FPS titles that have come out lately that probably wont last more than a year.
Yeah, Galactic Warfare and First Strike are well polished mods and must be fun to an extent, but I wouldn't trade Battlefront II for them, SWBFII mods are much more in-depth when it comes to being Star Wars themed FPS games.