The Thing

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

The Thing

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

A prequel to the 1982 movie of the same name. The directors have confirmed that there will be no romantic subplots.

The Trailer.

My reaction.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: The Thing

Post by EraOfDesann »

The original is one of the most terrifying movies of all time so this has a lot to live up to.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

THe good part about this is that they're actually trying to make it different from the sequel, so this might just be a prequel that works.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Showed this to my friend who really likes horror movies and he's really excited about going to see it. My opinion will remain neutral until I see it. It's like a Zombie Apocalypse movie except it's not.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Nova Hawk wrote:It's like a Zombie Apocalypse movie except it's not.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Not even close. Go watch the '82 movie and the one from the 50's, read the short story "Who Goes There?"(which they were all based on) and say that again with a straight face. It's much closer to something by H.P. Lovercraft, if anything.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Nova Hawk wrote: It's like a Zombie Apocalypse movie except it's not.
Not really. There isn't any plague, virus or infection. The "Thing" is a single entity that kills victims one by one. It's way more terrifying than zombies and you'll see why.

Carpenter's '82 version is probably the scariest movie I've ever seen.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

EraOfDesann wrote:
Nova Hawk wrote: It's like a Zombie Apocalypse movie except it's not.
Not really. There isn't any plague, virus or infection. The "Thing" is a single entity that kills victims one by one. It's way more terrifying than zombies and you'll see why.

Carpenter's '82 version is probably the scariest movie I've ever seen.
Hidden/Spoiler:
After a decade of J-horror ripoffs and failed attempts at experimenting with similar concepts, this is just the sort of thing we need.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

EraOfDesann wrote:Carpenter's '82 version is probably the scariest movie I've ever seen.
I concur. :plokoon:

Prepare for the unpopular opinion.
I personally feel there is no real reason to redo this concept, I liked the '82 version just fine. I know they are trying to do it differently, but it is still using The Thing concept. Heck, I liked The Thing from Another World(the '51 original movie). It's just another pointer to Hollywood running out of ideas. We'll see a lot of remakes or prequels/sequels with a simaler theme. Plus, we'll see a lot of really bad ideas(Battleship). Perhaps I am wrong, and we should only get prequels/sequels to the same stories. I'm wrong all the time. However I don't just want sequels, forgive me but I want new stories. Some sequels are fine(Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc). The Thing isn't really an overused idea, and it is a prequel to the great '82 version. So maybe it will be good. I am just starting to get sick of the lack of new ideas. A side note, I noticed I sometimes just type what I think, rather than forming a proper paragraph, and I apologize for that. :|

Offtopic: I am a huge Jules Verne fan. I am disgusted that they are remaking 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The '54 version was perfect. Now they'll use loads of CGI. The '54 version had amazing effects, with of course no CGI. Hollywood has (almost) no new ideas. Spiderman already has it's reboot just a couple years after Spiderman 3. Spy Kids 4? Kill me now. :runaway:

2010 was probably the best year for movies we'll see in a long time.