Captain America: The First Avenger

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Captain America: The First Avenger

Post by Teancum »

Discuss.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger

Post by Nihillo »

I don't recall Captain America using guns, that is quite out of character.

As for the trailer, I don't know, I was expecting the movie to take place in modern-day america, where Cap. would have to adapt to the new times and where his position as a symbol of pure patriotism would have more space to develop; instead, it looks like it will be an origin story, and I don't care about that. You don't need an entire movie to establish what Captain America is all about, you can do it in 3 minutes with a simple montage.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

I really don't like marvel. It's overly dramatic, and fairly bland. But this movie looks interested, in particular for its change of setting. Nihillo is right that an origin story could be told quickly, but I think that this is much more fitting, because hopefully it means less super drama.
Delta 47
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: BioShock
xbox live or psn: Delta811

Post by Delta 47 »

I've been following Captain America and Thor ever since they were first announced. Can't wait for the new Spider-Man movie too, now that will be sweet. I've never read any of the CA comics so I pretty much just know him from the cartoons and Marvel in general. It does look really interesting, and a bit different from the other Marvel movies. I'll probably go and watch it on the big screen which I only do for really, really good movies. Haha.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I'm really looking forward to this movie. Hopefully it'll be better than that other Captain America movie. I actually do prefer the WWII setting since he is a rebooted character again. And surely, not everyone will know who Captain America is, so it would only be appropriate to dedicate a good portion of the film to his origins. Besides, he'll be featured in modern times in the upcoming Avengers movie anyway, so yeah.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

AQT wrote: Hopefully it'll be better than that other Captain America movie.
Yeah, at least it won't be worse than the last one, that's for sure.
ACEwithSPADES
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Alzoc 3
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2 MW2
xbox live or psn: xundyingxace

Post by ACEwithSPADES »

Seeing it the week it comes out. Discussion over XD (jk)
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nihillo wrote:I don't recall Captain America using guns, that is quite out of character.
That's actually very in-character. Captain America isn't Batman, he uses guns and kills people, just like any other soldier (although Bucky is seen with the gun more often than Cap).
Hidden/Spoiler:
I've heard mention of stylistic comparisons between this and The Rocketeer (art deco wartime period pieces), and I'm excited for that. The Rocketeer didn't do terribly well in theaters, but it's one of my favorite comic book movies. All of Marvel's offings this summer look like they'll be pretty fun, but they've done a pretty good job staying consistently above average on their in-house flicks.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Maveritchell wrote:
Nihillo wrote:I don't recall Captain America using guns, that is quite out of character.
That's actually very in-character. Captain America isn't Batman, he uses guns and kills people, just like any other soldier (although Bucky is seen with the gun more often than Cap).
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Actually, Batman did use guns in the beginning, but that's all old stuff, before the writers decided that these characters should be above killing their foes.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Nihillo wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Actually, Batman did use guns in the beginning, but that's all old stuff, before the writers decided that these characters should be above killing their foes.

i don't know captain america but i think you cannot compare with batman
ACEwithSPADES
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Alzoc 3
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2 MW2
xbox live or psn: xundyingxace

Post by ACEwithSPADES »

Well Captian America IS a super soldier and used to fight in a war, so he would be like any other soldier as mav said, he wasn't considered a super hero at first, just a sort of symbol for the American troops to fight.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nihillo wrote:Actually, Batman did use guns in the beginning, but that's all old stuff, before the writers decided that these characters should be above killing their foes.
I know, but like I said, Captain America uses guns. Even in current portrayals of the character, usually whenever he's shown in WWII they show him using guns. His character's never been rewritten to be above guns, simply because he's supposed to be a soldier. He uses his shield more often because it's emblematic, but he doesn't have any sort of anti-gun bent or no-kill philosophy.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Listen, Mav is right. Your opinion is wrong.

There is no reason why he shouldnt use guns. Sometimes I do not like the hoty toty crap of the hero must be perfect and should not kill his enemies. I am very excited about this movie. Something fresh for a movie :thumbs: . I have seen enough super hero movies set in modern times to lst me till the next movie with Robert Downey Jr. as Iron man.

Iron Man 1 was prob the best superhero movie ever imo. That may be influenced by the fact I am a huge R. D. Jr. fan :D

but thats for another time :angel:
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

THEWULFMAN wrote:There is no reason why he shouldnt use guns. Sometimes I do not like the hoty toty crap of the hero must be perfect and should not kill his enemies.
I never said it was wrong for a superhero to use guns, look, I like the Punisher, and Deadpool, and tons of nineties' trigger happy super heroes. It's not about a hero being perfect either, it's about certain character's standards, Batman isn't more or less heroic than some other random hero just because he refrains from using guns, that's just how he rolls, you know, "guns got my parents killed" and all that... all I'm saying is that you don't see Captain America carrying a glorified blue, white and red gun around, normally you see him carrying a shield, and there is a pretty good reason for that.
THEWULFMAN wrote:Your opinion is wrong.
That's my cue, I'm leaving this conversation.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Nihillo wrote:
That's my cue, I'm leaving this conversation.

I dont want you too. I had a :P smiley there but I removed it because of the 3 smilie limit. It was a joke. I keep forgeting how hard that is to convey with words. I jest around with my friends all the time. I dont think your opinion is "wrong"
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Hebes24 »

"You use that word a lot. I don't think it means what you think it means..."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opinion

An opinion, by definition, CANNOT BE WRONG. EVER. Facts can be wrong, opinion cannot. Since an opinion is formed by individual perspective and therefore unique to the person expressing them, they are completely subjective and therefore can neither be correct or incorrect. Opinions can differ, opinions can conflict, but they are never, EVER wrong. Do not forget this.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Captain America

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

I know we had a thread before, but it got locked on just one page and I want this to be a little more civil. The film is actually out now and I want to hear your reactions to it. Honestly, I loved it. It's refreshing to see a superhero who doesn't whine constantly yet is still believably human, his main flaw being his social akwardness. The stlye was a major plus too, a little campy in places but nonetheless entertaining. What do you think?
Hidden/Spoiler:
Before anyone says anything about him using guns, think about this for a second: Indiana Jones used guns, and Luke Skywalker used them ( after all, a blaster is just a gun that shoots plasma) before he became proficient in a lightsaber, which is no less deadly, perhaps even more so. You can use guns without being The Punisher or some other 90's anti-hero.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Re: Captain America

Post by guru »

I'll watch this movie soon hope it's good.

@all- Also note if the topic gets politic-igious or patrio-spastic it will be auto tossed.
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

guru wrote:I'll watch this movie soon hope it's good.

@all- Also note if the topic gets politic-igious or patrio-spastic it will be auto tossed.
It's pretty good. Some areas could have been tweaked to make it the best yet, but for now, a great movie. Definitely the most serious and dramatic of the marvel movies.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Moving_Target wrote:
guru wrote:I'll watch this movie soon hope it's good.

It's pretty good. Some areas could have been tweaked to make it the best yet, but for now, a great movie. Definitely the most serious and dramatic of the marvel movies.
Eh, I'd say that award goes to Thor, but personally I think this is more of a fun, summer blockbuster type of movie. Fun to go see if you want to see someone kick donkeybutt and blow stuff up.