What are you Reading right now?

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

What are you Reading right now?

Post by Grev »

Yes, it's a gaming forum. But with all the other "what are you" threads, it's a disservice to not include the printed word.

So what are you reading? Articles, books, newsweek issues?
I'm currently reading Evgeniy Onegin (eugene onegin) in Russian right now, and I'm also reading quite a lengthy article on kotaku called: can videogames make us happy?
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Re: What are you Reading right now?

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Currently this instant Im reading the very words I'm typing... But more seriously, the recreational book I am reading is The Caves of Steel - Isaac Asimov
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

I just finished the Battle Over Coruscant in Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover and now just starting the love scene where Padme tells Anakin that he's gonna be a dad soon.

Plus, Ranger's Apprentice Book #6: Siege of Macindaw by John Flanagan. Excellent series!
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm on the second to last story.
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Hebes24 »

I finished reading the latest book in the Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi series (Abyss) a while ago. Now I'm going to read Death Troopers while I wait for Fate of the Jedi: Backlash to come out (March 9th).
Valthero
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Valthero »

Pretty good so far. I really love the cover art.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Ping wrote:The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm on the second to last story.
I need to reread Sherlock Holmes. Speaking of which, a bunch of new SH stories were recently released, written by various famous authors like Bradbury and others, and I was wondering if anyone had read them yet? I got a copy for my friend, but haven't read it myself.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Post by SilvaDalek »

Just finished The Cole Protocol (last Halo book for me to read). Took me a while to start it.

For school I have to read Jane Eyre by Bronte and it sucks. Bad.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

SilvaDalek wrote:For school I have to read Jane Eyre by Bronte and it sucks. Bad.
Jane Eyre is an excellent book, and it's a little ignorant/self-centered to say that a classic piece of literature "sucks." You may not like it; I enjoy Charlotte far more than any of the other Bronte sisters. It astonishes me how radically different something like Jane Eyre can be from her sister's Wuthering Heights, which was utterly unenjoyable for me.
genaral_mitch
Jedi
Jedi

Post by genaral_mitch »

Nova Hawk wrote:I just finished the Battle Over Coruscant in Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover and now just starting the love scene where Padme tells Anakin that he's gonna be a dad soon.
Finished the book the day before I left, there's tons of stuff that's not in the movie, but I don't want to spoil any of it.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

"A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson. I had to buy and read it for school. But it is safe to say that this book is probably one of the best in it's kind. I'm reading a lot more of it than I'm supposed to.
vegati
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Location: At Gametoast.com enjoyin some fresh salmon jerky. Mmmmmm.

Post by vegati »

Im reading 'The Witch of Blackbird Pond' for school and its a good book. Ive also been reading the Episode IV novel. Other than that I havent been reading much lately. I may check out that book Mav, sounds kind of interesting.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Post by SilvaDalek »

Maveritchell wrote:
SilvaDalek wrote:For school I have to read Jane Eyre by Bronte and it sucks. Bad.
Jane Eyre is an excellent book, and it's a little ignorant/self-centered to say that a classic piece of literature "sucks." You may not like it; I enjoy Charlotte far more than any of the other Bronte sisters. It astonishes me how radically different something like Jane Eyre can be from her sister's Wuthering Heights, which was utterly unenjoyable for me.
The book sucks because:
-it's the individual experience of a lower class woman lots of decades ago (doesn't mix with me)
-it's all about her pursuit of happiness, in which she complains about everything wrong with her current situation
-it's a 500 page love story
-it's all about the social and gender separation decades ago
-too much religion in the book
-the language is old, which does slow reading it down slightly

In short, I find it to be the life of an upset christian whiner, seeking love, and most of the points the book tries to convey were meant for victorian life, not me.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

SilvaDalek wrote:The book sucks because:
-it's the individual experience of a lower class woman lots of decades ago (doesn't mix with me)
-it's all about her pursuit of happiness, in which she complains about everything wrong with her current situation
What you mean to say then is that you don't enjoy the book. The book doesn't "suck," and most of your reasons are entirely subjective (it's a 500 page book :roll: ).
Valthero
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Valthero »

SilvaDalek wrote: -it's a 500 page love story
I love love stories (no pun intended), especially long ones. Though only ones with an action element in them, too. Strangely, a lot of Ted Dekker's books are like that. Must be why I like them so much.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

SilvaDalek wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
The book sucks because:

In short, I find it to be the life of an upset christian whiner, seeking love, and most of the points the book tries to convey were meant for victorian life, not me.
Ugh, the sheer ignorance of that post is painful...

I can understand not enjoying a book - there are plenty of pieces of classic literature out there I don't enjoy for various reasons. Saying it "sucks," though, is uncalled for. Especially when you back up your opinion with reasons such as that.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Eggman wrote:
SilvaDalek wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
The book sucks because:

Ugh, the sheer ignorance of that post is painful...

I can understand not enjoying a book - there are plenty of pieces of classic literature out there I don't enjoy for various reasons. Saying it "sucks," though, is uncalled for. Especially when you back up your opinion with reasons such as that.
LOL, I'm not directly only meaning silva, but that point of view is what I like to call Internet attitude. Most people know what I mean.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

Here in the Netherlands, we call it "de jeugd van tegenwoordig". I really hate that attitude.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Getting back on topic: I'm rereading "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" before the movie comes out on Monday.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Valthero wrote:
SilvaDalek wrote: -it's a 500 page love story
I love love stories (no pun intended), especially long ones. Though only ones with an action element in them, too. Strangely, a lot of Ted Dekker's books are like that. Must be why I like them so much.
Then you must adore Attack of the Clones. :D