If someone can help, I'll give you ten bucks

Discuss and catch up on anything related to the SWBF1 Conversion Pack

Moderator: Moderators

zuka
Private Recruit

If someone can help, I'll give you ten bucks

Post by zuka »

Hey dudes,

I've been bashing my head up against a wall for a few days now trying to do (what I thought would be) a simple mod.

A bit of backstory: Started playing BF2 a few weeks ago (again) with some family and friends and we really enjoy playing the Conversion Pack and Battlefront Extreme mods (but mostly play Conversion pack, which is why I'm posting here).

I always play republic and my bro and friend play CIS - they gang up on me with magnaguards and beat me with their electrostaff things. It sucks. So I had an idea to try and make it so - instead of the Clone Commander unit - there would be one selectable Jedi so I could bash them up too. Also, I hate the way the hero system in the game works and would like to have a lightsaber without a time limit.

So I started trying to see how I could do this. I read tutorials about hex editing, asked questions in the other forum, and after trying for literally ten hours all I've managed to do is remove the Clone Commander without actually adding a Jedi.

Basically, if somebody can do this for me I'll paypal them ten US dollars because I'm losing money from spending so much time trying to do this myself and I'm crap at modding.

So, this is what I'm after -

A Jedi unit (just one) to replace the Clone Commander unit at the top of the Republic faction infantry tree in the Conversion Pack (and BF Extreme, too, if you know how to do that)

Because some of the Jedi in this game suck, I'd ideally like it to be Cloaked Anakin with a new saber combo (either Kit Fisto's or Qui Gon's). If that's too hard I'd like Quinlan Vos from Kashyyk: Docks.

It'd be rad if this could be accomplished just by hex editing mission files so the downloads weren't massive - I've gotta distribute it to a few people. But if not, that's cool.

Anyway, if anybody could help me out, that'd be awesome.

Cheers for reading,

zuka
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Re: If someone can help, I'll give you ten bucks

Post by RED51 »

There's no need to pay us for that. In fact, its immoral to do so, and I believe illegal.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

You would need the source files to make a custom version of the conversion pack, so the only one who could help you with that is Maveritchell (and maybe Teancum).
zuka
Private Recruit

Post by zuka »

Ah okay, and from what I understand the Source Files haven't been released so I guess it's not possible then. Ah well.

Offering a donation for work wasn't against the site rules and it's pretty obviously not illegal.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

It would probably violate the EULA as mods are to be produced for free. You'd be paying for a custom version of a mod. But anyways, I can't speak for Mav, but as far as I'm concerned the Convo Pack has been 100% complete for a long time. We aren't making any modifications to it anymore.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Well, instead of modifying the game, you can think of ways to defeat your bro and his buddy when they play as Magnaguards, personally I find that explosives (mines, rocket launcher, detpacks) work nicely against them, try grabbing a Heavy Trooper, place some mines on places where you know they will go and shoot rockets at their feet.
zuka
Private Recruit

Post by zuka »

Haha, guess I'll just have to get better then

Cheers for the responses

EDIT: Found a good tactic to 'balance' magnaguards. Play as Republic Commando, let them come nice and close, roll backwards and fire an anti-armour shell into the ground beneath them. 9 times out of 10 they're dead, for that other 1 time switch to pistol and blow them away :D
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Any weapon with an explosion attached to the ordnance is going to be effective to a degree against a unit with a melee weapon, because that's the one thing that can't be blocked.

I don't know if the KotOR era is your cup of tea, but if you haven't tried it or just haven't considered it, try it - it's got melee users on both sides and is more balanced in terms of unit distribution than GCW or CW with the added-on units.