Ships and Space battles

Discuss and catch up on anything related to the SWBF1 Conversion Pack

Moderator: Moderators

Zeta333
Private Recruit

Ships and Space battles

Post by Zeta333 »

One thing iv noticed throughout playing the conversion pack is the lack of new content in the space dueling levels. Id love to see new ships like the Bwing Ewing Vwing Tie Defender Tie Advanced or some of the other many Tie alterations. Uglies would be a cool random ship every now and then as well. One thing that got me durring the Kotor era space fights was the lack of ships. The Sith had One ship which was a pure Snub fighter and no bombers transports or anything of the likeing. And the republic had 2 ships one of them looking like a bomber and being slow as hell only had blasters. Also the lack of ship critical points was a bit bothering it turned the kotor era space fights into nothing but dogfights. I was wondering if there was a reason for the lack of new space conent or if there is any plans for future installments?
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: I would like one.....
Location: Ride around the world! And I won't give you anything :P

Re: Ships and Space battles

Post by CodaRez »

Ehehe:

1. The convo pack is DONE. Right there. Golden word. No more improvements, no more addons. Any wishlists, disregarded.

2. Yeesh, the convo pack has a LOT more to offer than a few fancy space buckets. And dude, some of said mentioned ships ACTUALLY DO APPEAR in the convo pack. Look for un-shipped ones, like space rhen var. I always remember seeing b-wings and tie-defenders. Space also isn't everything too, the convo pack has some awesome land maps(some of which contain also unique starfighters). KOTOR era ships didnt have variety either dude. Can you give em?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Zeta333 wrote:One thing that got me durring the Kotor era space fights was the lack of ships. The Sith had One ship which was a pure Snub fighter and no bombers transports or anything of the likeing. And the republic had 2 ships one of them looking like a bomber and being slow as hell only had blasters. Also the lack of ship critical points was a bit bothering it turned the kotor era space fights into nothing but dogfights.
When I set that up, I went only with what had visual reference from the game (specifically the end cinematic from KotOR). Everything you saw in that cinematic was represented in the KotOR space map. I made it blasters-only because:
a) That's all we saw in the game
b) Space in the other eras has fighters with other ordnance. Variety is the spice of life, you know?
Zeta333 wrote:Id love to see new ships like
the Bwing...Tie Defender
Space Endor, Space Bespin
Vwing
The clone wars version is in stock space maps. The airspeeder version is in Concord Dawn.
Tie Advanced
Bespin Platforms, Ord Ibanna

If you really want to see more TIE variations, more ships, etc., there are plenty of maps and mods that expand on this even more. We put a lot in the Conversion Pack (read through this thread to see a mostly-full list), but we can't put in everything - the Pack is bloated enough as is.
Zeta333
Private Recruit

Post by Zeta333 »

One thing that bugs me is the tie defender which by far was the future staple and best fighter the empire feilded is completelly missrepresented in the pack im not downing you mav or your team but the tie defender mad the republic snub fighter squadrens fly in fear when they knew they were going up against them. The defender in the pack has no sheilds only has 2 laser cannons and no mention of the ion cannons. Lets not forget that the tie defender has a acceleration rate of 20g's less than the interceptor. This ship was by far one of the best combat fighters in its era. Also the Tie phantom is a little to big to be a stealth fighter more having the profile of a bomber. Sorry for being nitpicky but i love space combat of star wars.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

The reason:
Gameplay (balance, etc) > Canon
If they had made the TIE defender the canon way, it would be unbalanced.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

You should try Battlefront Extreme, that mod has a truly powerful TIE Defender, it lives up to its reputation in Canon.
Zeta333
Private Recruit

Post by Zeta333 »

Thank you for mentioning that pack just dled it and love it.

Do any of you know of any way to remove the 123 era from the list i didnt install that mod but for somereason its there and blocks the extreme era.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I suppose there is a folder named 123 in "(.....)\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\data\_lvl_pc\side", if there is one, you have to delete it or move it to somewhere else, though I am not sure if that will solve your problem; I wasn't around when 123 was released, I never played nor downloaded it.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

The +123 eras only show up when you choose Select All in Instant Action (it's part of the 1.3 patch). So don't choose Select All.
Zeta333
Private Recruit

Post by Zeta333 »

But see thats the thing i like to select all click what i want to play and sit there for a couple hours of random maps. i dont even play the 123 stuff.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Zeta333 wrote:But see thats the thing i like to select all click what i want to play and sit there for a couple hours of random maps. i dont even play the 123 stuff.
That is unfortunately a feature that wasn't optimized for the 1.3 patch - it would have taken a lot more work (because the 1.3 patch enables a lot of new eras, but the actual available eras would have to be contingent on mods installed) to do, and in the end I'm sure it was not something to be worried about.

That's what it'll boil down to - but honestly, if you want a couple hours of maps, you can probably just click and choose seven or eight maps and you'll be good for a number of hours, depending on size of map and unit count (and mode).

I actually enjoy having the break out to the instant action screen every once in a while, it gives me the opportunity to compare one map against another if I have something interesting I see (or, for example, if playing one space map puts me in the mood for a series of space maps).
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Maveritchell wrote:That is unfortunately a feature that wasn't optimized for the 1.3 patch - it would have taken a lot more work (because the 1.3 patch enables a lot of new eras, but the actual available eras would have to be contingent on mods installed) to do, and in the end I'm sure it was not something to be worried about.
That is a feature of the 1.3 patch. Anything not dealing with only C and G (which is now nothing) was added by the path. I had to pick something to put there. I didn't want to spent the time to loop through all the selected maps searching for all their eras, then determining which eras have more maps, and finally displaying only those 5 eras. I guess it wouldn't have been very hard to do, but I didn't think it would be good usability to have the menus randomly change like that. I thought it would have added a small delay when clicking on multiple maps too. When I was coding that part, the 123 Mod was highly active at that time, so it earned a spot in the top 5 of the era list.

However, I added custom suer scripts, custom server scripts, and cGC scripts to allow people to mod the shell/1.3 path without remunging it. You can create a cGC that will display only the 5 eras you want (or you could change it to display even more then 5 eras).

To display more then 5 eras, change custom_max_eras to a higher value, such as 7. You can't get a simpler cGC script then this:

Code: Select all

custom_max_eras = 7
See the 1.3 documentation on how to name your cGC and were to place its .lvl file.

If you want to change which eras are displayed, instead of the amount of eras, you need to replace custom_ShowHideEra() in your cGC script. Look at the first if statement below. Instead of looping over amount when displaying the era_boxes, only display the table entries representing the eras you want shown.

custom_ShowHideEra():
Hidden/Spoiler:
[code] --
-- Show/Hide the era checkboxes depending on if the selected map supports that era
--
function custom_ShowHideEra( this )
--print("custom_ShowHideEra()")
local era_boxes = custom_BuildEraList( this )

if( ifs_missionselect_pcMulti_fnGetNumSelectedMaps(this) > 1 ) then

--hide all the eras
for i=1,table.getn(era_boxes) do
IFObj_fnSetVis(era_boxes.box,nil)
end

--determine the amount of eras that can be displayed
local amount = table.getn(era_boxes)
if amount > custom_max_eras then
amount = custom_max_eras
end

--if more then one map is selected, show as many eras as possible
local i
for i=1,amount do
--support for true custom eras, added by [RDH]Zerted
local box = era_boxes.box
local map = nil
local key = era_boxes.key
local reset = true
custom_UpdateEraFields( box, map, key, reset )

IFObj_fnSetVis(era_boxes.box,1)
end

else
local i
local j
local k

--hide all the eras
IFObj_fnSetVis(era_boxes.box,nil)
end

--only show the eras that the selected map has
for k=1,table.getn(gMissionselectEras) do
local EraSelection = gMissionselectEras[k]

if(not EraSelection.bIsWildcard) then
local DisplayUStr = ScriptCB_getlocalizestr(EraSelection.showstr)

for j=1,table.getn(era_boxes) do

if EraSelection.key == era_boxes[j].key then
--support for true custom eras, added by [RDH]Zerted
local box = era_boxes[j].box
local map = missionselect_listbox_contents[ifs_mspc_MapList_layout.SelectedIdx]
local key = era_boxes[j].key
local reset = false
custom_UpdateEraFields( box, map, key, reset )

--map has this era, so display its box
IFObj_fnSetVis(era_boxes[j].box,1)
--break
end
end--end for(era_boxes)
end
end --end for(gMissionselectEras)
end

--make sure the visible era boxes are evenly spaced
local container_x = 322
local custom_y_offset_1 = 16

local era_vis = 0
local first_box = nil
if IFObj_fnGetVis(era_boxes.box) then
IFObj_fnSetPos( era_boxes.box, era_boxes.box.x, (custom_y_offset_1 * era_vis) + custom_location_era_y )
--print("era_vis="..era_vis..", y="..(custom_y_offset_1 * era_vis) + container_y..", box="..era_boxes.key)
era_vis = era_vis + 1
end
end
end[/code]
Instead of typing the table indexes of each era, I'm just going to post the era checkbox table. Simply count down to the eras you want:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[code] local era_boxes = {
--{ era =, key =, tag =, box =, bool =, SaveBox =, SetBool =,
--{ era = "", key = "era_", tag = "check_era", box = this.Era__box, bool = this.bEra_, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era__box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_ = b end, },

--Note: only the first 5 (number in custom_max_eras) checkboxes will be displayed when multiple maps are selected
{ era = "c", key = "era_c", tag = "check_era3", box = this.Era_C_box, bool = this.bEra_CloneWar, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_C_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_CloneWar = b end, },
{ era = "g", key = "era_g", tag = "check_era7", box = this.Era_G_box, bool = this.bEra_Galactic, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_G_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_Galactic = b end, },
{ era = "k", key = "era_k", tag = "check_era11", box = this.Era_K_box, bool = this.bEra_K, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_K_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_K = b end, },

{ era = "1", key = "era_1", tag = "check_era27", box = this.Era_1_box, bool = this.bEra_1, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_1_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_1 = b end, },
{ era = "2", key = "era_2", tag = "check_era28", box = this.Era_2_box, bool = this.bEra_2, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_2_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_2 = b end, },

{ era = "a", key = "era_a", tag = "check_era1", box = this.Era_A_box, bool = this.bEra_A, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_A_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_A = b end, },
{ era = "b", key = "era_b", tag = "check_era2", box = this.Era_B_box, bool = this.bEra_B, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_B_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_B = b end, },
{ era = "d", key = "era_d", tag = "check_era4", box = this.Era_D_box, bool = this.bEra_D, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_D_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_D = b end, },
{ era = "e", key = "era_e", tag = "check_era5", box = this.Era_E_box, bool = this.bEra_E, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_E_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_E = b end, },
{ era = "f", key = "era_f", tag = "check_era6", box = this.Era_F_box, bool = this.bEra_F, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_F_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_F = b end, },
{ era = "h", key = "era_h", tag = "check_era8", box = this.Era_H_box, bool = this.bEra_H, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_H_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_H = b end, },
{ era = "i", key = "era_i", tag = "check_era9", box = this.Era_I_box, bool = this.bEra_I, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_I_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_I = b end, },
{ era = "j", key = "era_j", tag = "check_era10", box = this.Era_J_box, bool = this.bEra_J, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_J_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_J = b end, },
{ era = "l", key = "era_l", tag = "check_era12", box = this.Era_L_box, bool = this.bEra_L, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_L_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_L = b end, },
{ era = "m", key = "era_m", tag = "check_era13", box = this.Era_M_box, bool = this.bEra_M, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_M_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_M = b end, },
{ era = "n", key = "era_n", tag = "check_era14", box = this.Era_N_box, bool = this.bEra_N, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_N_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_N = b end, },
{ era = "o", key = "era_o", tag = "check_era15", box = this.Era_O_box, bool = this.bEra_O, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_O_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_O = b end, },
{ era = "p", key = "era_p", tag = "check_era16", box = this.Era_P_box, bool = this.bEra_P, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_P_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_P = b end, },
{ era = "q", key = "era_q", tag = "check_era17", box = this.Era_Q_box, bool = this.bEra_Q, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_Q_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_Q = b end, },
{ era = "r", key = "era_r", tag = "check_era18", box = this.Era_R_box, bool = this.bEra_R, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_R_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_R = b end, },
{ era = "s", key = "era_s", tag = "check_era19", box = this.Era_S_box, bool = this.bEra_S, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_S_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_S = b end, },
{ era = "t", key = "era_t", tag = "check_era20", box = this.Era_T_box, bool = this.bEra_T, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_T_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_T = b end, },
{ era = "u", key = "era_u", tag = "check_era21", box = this.Era_U_box, bool = this.bEra_U, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_U_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_U = b end, },
{ era = "v", key = "era_v", tag = "check_era22", box = this.Era_V_box, bool = this.bEra_V, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_V_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_V = b end, },
{ era = "w", key = "era_w", tag = "check_era23", box = this.Era_W_box, bool = this.bEra_W, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_W_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_W = b end, },
{ era = "x", key = "era_x", tag = "check_era24", box = this.Era_X_box, bool = this.bEra_X, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_X_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_X = b end, },
{ era = "y", key = "era_y", tag = "check_era25", box = this.Era_Y_box, bool = this.bEra_Y, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_Y_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_Y = b end, },
{ era = "z", key = "era_z", tag = "check_era26", box = this.Era_Z_box, bool = this.bEra_Z, SaveBox = function(b) this.Era_Z_box = b end, SetBool = function(b) this.bEra_Z = b end, },
}[/code]
(Some of the indentations in both code boxes seems to have been slightly messed up. I'm not going to fit it...)
Zeta333
Private Recruit

Post by Zeta333 »

Question: did the idea of recreating the ui for menu interface ever come up? Becuase the out of game UI is kind of ancient and not very smooth when transitioning. But thank you for that bit of code i will put it to use right away.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Zeta333 wrote:...reason for the lack of new space content or if there is any plans for future installments?
The pack is done. There will be no further updates to it. There were more space battles, but they were taken out due to space maps being rather repetitive. The first major release of the pack was too close to swbf2's mission limit too.

Off-topic:
It would have been too much work for me to rewrite the UI. I also didn't understand it or have as much experience with it as I as do now. The developers had a version of the map selection screens where the era and game modes were lists (they aren't really lists now, just check boxes drawn on screen). I fixed it up a little and re-enabled it. It was ugly.

I was more looking to improve the feature set then adjust the graphics or overall design. I was going to build a 'unit/class editor' into the pause menu, but ran out of time and tossed everything into the FakeConsole instead.
Zeta333
Private Recruit

Post by Zeta333 »

SO there is a mission limit, as in i can only have a certain amount of missions added for the game before it stops letting new ones in?

Also a class editer would be cool say you earn certain blasters or nades or just different peices of weaponry and can upgrade your classes overtime and such.......but that is prob for a different game in a galaxy far far away.
Dom380
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by Dom380 »

yes there is a mission limit and will come up with a message on the profile screen when there are too many, you can still but maps in the addon folder but they wont show up on the map list in IA