Running SWBF2 on new computer - audio mix crash

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Running SWBF2 on new computer - audio mix crash

Post by MileHighGuy »

I am running swbf2 on a new windows 8 computer. When I press play after selecting my map it crashes to the desktop with no error report. This is the issue I can fix by going to manage audio devices, showing disabled devices, and reactivating stereo mix. Problem is, I don't have a stereo mix there. I can play the game normally if I disable the sound, or plug something in to my microphone jack. But is there a way to get the game to run without doing these things?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Running SWBF2 on new computer - audio mix crash

Post by Marth8880 »

MileHighGuy wrote:But is there a way to get the game to run without doing these things?
No, not unless you purchase a dedicated sound card (which I always recommend regardless anyways). Additionally, with the sound card I linked you to, you'll be able to enable and emulate EAX for legacy titles (such as Battlefront), which is fantastic. :P
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Thanks Marth. I will stick with plugging into the microphone jack for now. I've been to the parts store and back more than I'd like to admit.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

That's why you'd order it from Newegg or Amazon. ;) They're as easy to install as any PCI card. :)