"Refresh"

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

"Refresh"

Post by Noobasaurus »

More like "delete everything inside Program Files." I just had to do a system refresh on Windows 8 because I installed a skin pack to make it look like a Mac and then uninstalled it and I guess it took a part of Windows with it so then Windows didn't work. I finally found the system refresh page and it turns out that it ate all my programs in Program Files. I think I'll install to a different directory from now on.

No, I won't. At least now I can minimize all the garbage I install on my computer, but UGH this sucks. It gave me a lovely list of about a million programs that it deleted, so that's a nice touch. Maybe I'll go retrieve one or two of those.

Yes, I'm a bit angry. I needed to let off some steam, so don't mind me. I'm off to go reinstall a bunch of programs.

EDIT HOLY MOLY WHATS THIS? MY PROGRAM FILES ARE HIDING IN A FOLDER CALLED WINDOWS.OLD? IM EXCITED NOW!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: "Refresh"

Post by Marth8880 »

Man, that sucks. (Or at least it would have.) Very sorry to hear that. :(

You didn't just initiate a repair using your OS's install disc? That would have been much easier and painless.

Also, why exactly do you use Windows 8 out of pure curiosity? I personally see no good reason to unless you hate playing older games, using older apps, and using sensible user interfaces, but if it somehow magically works for you, that's fine. But I'm just curious, that's all.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

"Windows 8"

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

My computer came with Windows 8 on it already, so I didn't have an install disk.

I use Windows 8 because it came with my computer. I also watched a lot of videos on it and I liked the new "metro" start screen. I work with a lot of files and folders and the start screen looked to me like an easy way to find certain programs and files. I can also put a ton of stuff on the start screen so whatever I need is always there. The app store - meh. I use normal desktop applications anyway, so it's basically like Windows 7 but with the start screen. I don't play many different games anyway, so Windows 8 works with most of the things I do.

And yes WULF, yes.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Noobasaurus wrote:I work with a lot of files and folders and the start screen looked to me like an easy way to find certain programs and files. I can also put a ton of stuff on the start screen to whatever I need is always there. The app store - meh. I use normal desktop applications anyway, so it's basically like Windows 7 but with the start screen.
You can do all of that on the Windows Explorer desktop, too. ;)

Solution: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ageSize=20 ;)
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

MEH. Too late now. But hey, this was a learning experience. I like learning new things.

And plus installing programs isn't all that hard.

EDIT: Lul, over 150 programs were uninstalled. That's fun. I really feel like posting a the list of everything that was uninstalled, but then again I don't.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

My question is why would you try to make Windows look like Mac? :P
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

LOL, I know right? They do have those beautiful wallpapers, though, but that's about it. Q:U~>< Ugh, dull grey just ain't my thing, but hey, if other people like it, great for them, I guess. :V
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

I just was seeing if I would like how a Mac would "feel" and look. I didn't. The skin pack had a few bugs, including the one this whole topic is about.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by lucasfart »

I seriously wouldn't use a custom windows theme to get the feel for mac OS X. There's no way a mod for windows could give an accurate representation of what its like to have a mac. I personally use windows 7 (even on my 2009 macbook :D ), but if you aren't worried about games so much, I really think Mac OS X is the way to go. Its just got a lot smoother / cleaner interface IMHO. Your choice though...
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Rising Conflict CW v2.0
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim TF2 FTL
xbox live or psn: Steam is Dreadnot9

Post by Dreadnot9 »

I've actually been using windows 8 for quite some time now and have encountered any serious issues. The worse thing that happened was Mass Effect 1 failing to start, and that took all of 5 seconds to fix (update origin, restart origin as admin, fixed).
Everything else I've had works fine, including several older games like Fallout 3 and HL 2. Even the BF2_ModTools munge without issue (beyond the vista munge fixes).
I agree though, it really doesn't seem like a huge improvement (or change for that matter) over Win 7.

But hey, it's not vista.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Windows 8 and file explorer changing programs do not mix well. When I had Google Drive on my computer, when I would have file explorer open every file explorer window open would crash. This occurred at least once an hour. Solved by uninstalling Google Drive.

The app store is disgusting because it requires you to have windows firewall enabled, and when I have it enabled it causes problems with Kaspersky. Plus the apps aren't even that good.

I frequently go to the start menu and click on Google Chrome. However, sometimes it takes a million years to start up. I could probably talk about a few more things I dislike about Windows 8, but I can't think of them right now.
lucasfart wrote:I really think Mac OS X is the way to go. Its just got a lot smoother / cleaner interface
Macs are so expensive though. However, I only play one main game, and it has a Mac version. Sometimes I play Just Cause 2 and I'm pretty sure there isn't a Mac version for that. Most of the things I do on the computer involve browsing the internet, sorting through files, and editing videos, and Macs are built for that sort of thing, so a Mac would better suit me. I probably won't get a Mac. Once Windows 9 comes out I'll get that.