New Mobo & CPU

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

New Mobo & CPU

Post by Dohnutt »

Hey team,
My mobo's got problems. I won't go into detail because that's not what this topic is about. But basically, I need to get a new mobo, which means I need to get a new CPU. I am pretty broke and I've got to save up for a wedding, so I need something cheap. I've decided on these parts:

Mobo:
ASUS P8H77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
or
ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

CPU:
Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core

The cheaper mobo + that cpu would bring my total to around $200, which is PERFECT. The slightly more expensive mobo might be better by a ton though, so if that's the case, I'm okay with spending an extra $30.

Okay, so here's my problem. Four years ago, when I built this computer, I researched and knew a lot about it. Now, I'm back to being clueless. I don't really have the time to do all of the research, I'm a very busy guy. That's why I'm asking you guys.

So just for clarification: These mobos + this CPU will work together?
And: Will I have to buy new RAM if I get a new mobo?
I've got 6 sticks of Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Series PC3-10666 DDR3 1333 6GB 3 x 2GB CL 7 Non ECC Triple Channel. The only difference I see is that it would only support 4 sticks of RAM.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: New Mobo & CPU

Post by Marth8880 »

Yep, 'twould all work together. Or should, anyway. Don't be surprised if you have to reinstall Windows, though - new motherboards tend to...cause a stop error.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Just realized those mobos only support dual channel RAM. Dangit, so there's a problem. Any suggestions on good, cheap, LGA 1155 motherboards? I will be searching tonight.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

I'd just go ahead and look for a RAM upgrade as well - triple-channel motherboards aren't particularly very common.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Do I need to be aware of any specifics before I choose the RAM? Eg. Timing.
Thanks for your help, Marth. It's a stressful time for me right now. I'm pressed for time and money, so this is really helpful.

Edit:
Does this RAM look okay? Looks like the most bang for my buck after rebates and such.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... leOptOut=1

Is it compatible? Sorry, I'm on my phone, so it's easy to skip details.

Edit 2:

I've settled on this RAM and this mobo + cpu combo. Looks OK?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Looks good to me. Seems to work with the rest of the parts.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Coooooool, thanks guys!

One more thing. Marth, you mentioned I will probably have to reinstall Windows. I'm not sure I have a method to back things up. One of the reasons that I'm getting a new motherboard is because it's slightly fried, and plugging in some devices doesn't work. I've got a backup drive, but plugging it in for extended periods of time crashes the computer.

So, is there a way to... somehow overwrite Windows without losing all of my data? I will attempt backing it up in whatever way I can, but I figured I'd ask if there's any other way.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Install a fresh copy of Windows from the boot disc without formatting the drive; everything should be conveniently moved into a folder called Windows.old.