Mass Effect on Origin?

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Rising Conflict CW v2.0
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim TF2 FTL
xbox live or psn: Steam is Dreadnot9

Mass Effect on Origin?

Post by Dreadnot9 »

I'm not sure if this is exactly the correct forum for this, but here goes.
I recently got the Mass Effect trilogy box set, I was dismayed to discover that the only way to play the games was through Origin (I've heard...things...about origin, plus I just don't want to go to the hassle of creating another account, I've already got a Steam account). Now I know the third game has to be played through Origin, at least I've heard of no other options. However, the first 2 games are available on steam for only 9.99 right now (well, for the next 12 or so hours).
So I guess I'm asking this; Should I just suck it up and play the games through Origin, or is it as bad as I've heard and I should spend the extra 9 bucks for the Steam versions?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Mass Effect on Origin?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Didn't you already buy the set though?
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Didn't you already buy the set though?
Yes sir I did.

EDIT: Well, technically it was a gift, I would've gotten the first two on steam if i hadn't received the box set.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news is that, yes, Mass Effect 3 REQUIRES Origin to be activated.

The good news is that if you just suck it up and make one more account, you won't have to spend extra money for a game you already own. Origin is not THAT bad. Anyone who tells you otherwise is fanatical and paranoid. Sure, I still stick with Steam to purchase games, but I run Battlefield 3, SWTOR, and Dragon Age from Origin. No hassle, no problems.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:The good news is that if you just suck it up and make one more account, you won't have to spend extra money for a game you already own. Origin is not THAT bad. Anyone who tells you otherwise is fanatical and paranoid. Sure, I still stick with Steam to purchase games, but I run Battlefield 3, SWTOR, and Dragon Age from Origin. No hassle, no problems.
Haha, fair enough. That's what I was expecting, but I wanted to make sure, it can never hurt to be cautious.
Thank you.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Yes, exactly what Twilight said. :o There is almost nothing wrong with Origin; Battlefield 3 is like one of the only games that even use the DRM bull.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

Installing now, thanks guys :thumbs: . Plus, ME is worth any minor hassle involved with Origin anyways.