Gaming Server Domain Stuff

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Gaming Server Domain Stuff

Post by Dohnutt »

Hey Gametoast,

I've got some questions. I'm working with Twi a little bit on his server.

He's got a personal server running from his house, which is where his Minecraft server is hosted from. His dynmap is there too, obviously. I've got a server hosted by bluehost, and I'll be hosting his website. He owns the domain name, obviously, and it's pointed to my website server.

So our dilemna is: We want to make his Minecraft server have a domain name. But a subdomain. So we want the URL to be minecraft.raserik.com, so that people don't have to type the IP into Minecraft. Then we could do the same with any other servers he hosts.

We tried setting up a redirect from my cPanel so that when you go to minecraft.raserik.com, it brings you to the IP, but I guess Minecraft can't recognize that.

Is there a way to directly link that subdomain to his IP?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Gaming Server Domain Stuff

Post by Marth8880 »

Just found this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=703434

The answers the people provided are incredibly bland and nondescript, but it's a start.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Gaming Server Domain Stuff

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

That points it to the entire IP address for the entire network, and requires a business-grade internet plan. And while that would work (you'd just type minecraft.raserik.com:25565 instead of 68.102.136.30:25565), we just want the specific port, as I'm using the main domain (www.raserik.com) for my portfolio/business information.