A good GFX card under 220 dollars?

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: STALKER - TDU2

A good GFX card under 220 dollars?

Post by Lozza »

Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my gfx from the Nvidia GTS 250, too many good games are coming up and I need a new card. Anyway suggestions under 220 bucks?
I'm looking for something with atleast 20% better performance than my GTS 250.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: A good GFX card under 220 dollars?

Post by Marth8880 »

Well first off, you need to ask yourself a few questions:

- Will my power supply be able to power a newer, more powerful graphics card? :o
- Do I have enough space in my case for a new graphics card? Most newer graphics cards take up the space of at least two PCI slots, though the actual interface of the second usually isn't used unless you have a SLi/CrossFire setup goin' on or something.
- Will my new graphics card be bottlenecked by any other of my system's components? :runaway: The other components in your machine have to be able to compensate with each other's speed. For example, if you have a really, really slow processor, but you have the latest Quadro graphics card, your processor will bottleneck, i.e., slow down the speed of your graphics card.
- Is the cake the truth or a lie? Do I wanna go to space? :o

If all of those have been answered positively, then you'll probably wanna go with something like the GeForce GTX 560 Ti (I think that's the one I'm thinking of, have to double-check on that).
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

I got an NVidia GT 520 some months back for $80 at Best Buy - there was some sort of sale. It's new enough to handle ME3 and Skyrim very well (though I don't have that computer with me atm :( ), and it was even smaller than my previous GeForce 7900 GS and did not require any external power supply at all.
Lozza
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: STALKER - TDU2

Post by Lozza »

Fiodis wrote:I got an NVidia GT 520 some months back for $80 at Best Buy - there was some sort of sale. It's new enough to handle ME3 and Skyrim very well (though I don't have that computer with me atm :( ), and it was even smaller than my previous GeForce 7900 GS and did not require any external power supply at all.
The GT Series is worse in terms of power management and pixel filling.