Zero Editor Runtime Error (XP, Vista, Windows 7/8.x/10) [Solved]

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Krornus
Recruit Womprat Killer

Re: Major problem with Zero Editor

Post by Krornus »

agzilla123 wrote: Any help directing me to this forums page or just trying to help me would be appreciated. It may be important to note that I have Vista.

I have vista too, and i get the same error, and with 3Danalyze, it still wont work. I'm pretty sure it's one of those vista compatibility problems, and will NEVER work. :cpu: :faint: :(
MrZora
Private
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by MrZora »

Krornus wrote:I have vista too, and i get the same error, and with 3Danalyze, it still wont work. I'm pretty sure it's one of those vista compatibility problems, and will NEVER work. :cpu: :faint: :(
I get the same runtime error with ZE and ZE with 3DAnalyze.
The unfortunate thing is that my xp comp is old can gets the "zeroeditor.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." because of it's terrible graphics capabilitys.

Time to poke my friend about doing the ZE work for me... :mrgreen:
Culvar
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by Culvar »

MrZora wrote:
Krornus wrote:I have vista too, and i get the same error, and with 3Danalyze, it still wont work. I'm pretty sure it's one of those vista compatibility problems, and will NEVER work. :cpu: :faint: :(
I get the same runtime error with ZE and ZE with 3DAnalyze.
The unfortunate thing is that my xp comp is old can gets the "zeroeditor.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." because of it's terrible graphics capabilitys.

Time to poke my friend about doing the ZE work for me... :mrgreen:
Look at the 3DANYLYZE topic in the "Everything you need to know"
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Zero Editor Doesn't Work

Post by SG-17 »

I have Windows Vista and when I try to start up Zero Editor I get a Runtime error saying that Runtime Tried to Terminate the Program in an unusual way and the program must be closed. Or something to that extent. I tried running it in Compatibility mode and as an administrator, can anyone help?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Re: Zero Editor Doesn't Work

Post by Teancum »

SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

*missing image*
This is the error that I am experiencing, I tried what was stated in the thread you linked to, but no luck.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Despite the..."image" you posted, I believe you're having the same problem as I had. What's your video card? 3D Analyze didn't work for me, but upgrading my video card did.
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

ATI Radeon Express 200M Series 128mb
Its a laptop so I can't upgrade it.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Even more the same situation I had.

Although you can't "upgrade" it per se, you can upgrade the drivers online.

I Googled a few different things and came up with this. Simply expand the ATI Radeon™ Video Card Drivers section, under Full Catalyst Software Suite (Recommended) click the operating system you have and download the file. I believe this is what I got, and if not it was very similar to it and solved the problem.
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

Alright, I installed that but I am still getting the same error.
ask_to_u
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by ask_to_u »

yes i have the same problem, i have vista and my zeroeditor doesn't work, it says everytime;
"Runtime Error!

Programm: C:/BF2_ModTools/data_blablabla/_BUILD/zeroeditor.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. "

i used it with 3d-application too, but it will not work :runaway: :cry: :cry:
1.who can help me
(2.) can smbody traduse it in german because i don't understand what he wants ^^
(3.) if smbody have made it and it runs on vista, can he/she send it me pls in an email ???
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

I thought I'd get back into mapping and re-downloaded the tools but ran into this problem. It sucks that no one has a solution other than upgrading your video card. I just upgraded mine so I'm not even going to bother with that. Maybe another computer in the house will run it.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

That is not the only solution, people have found other solutions as well such as updating the .NET framework, changing their display settings, and updating their video card (as mentioned here) but to find all the suggestions, one needs to search the site, as mentioned in my note at the bottom of the 3DAnalyze thread:
NOTE: This method should not work for any runtime errors. Go ahead and try, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Search the site for tips on getting ZeroEditor to work should you get this error, but be warned that we have yet to find a solution to it.
If people think that it's worth it, I can go through the site an compile a list of possible solutions, but I'm afraid that we haven't found a solution for most people (I think for example, Skyhawk still has this problem).
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

Frisbeetarian wrote:, but I'm afraid that we haven't found a solution for most people
I did some reserch and the Visual C++ error its a "missing" Video card driver so ZE reads that the computer is in safe mode. (the missing driver is that the computer has the wrong video card.)
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

501st_commander wrote:the missing driver is that the computer has the wrong video card
Though I can't come out and prove this false, I don't think that a "wrong" video card is the issue. People who have had this problem have the same or nearly the same video card as I do, and yet it works fine for me.

Also, what do you mean research, what did you look into?
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

Frisbeetarian wrote:Also, what do you mean research, what did you look into?
i looked into the error type
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

SG-17 wrote:I have Windows Vista and when I try to start up Zero Editor I get a Runtime error saying that Runtime Tried to Terminate the Program in an unusual way and the program must be closed. Or something to that extent. I tried running it in Compatibility mode and as an administrator, can anyone help?
I merged your topic with the Major problem with Zero Editor in Vista topic to better keep information in one place, this type of information is getting too spread out around here.

Anyone else running Vista and having problems getting ZeroEditor to work please post in this topic otherwise i'll just merge it with this one anyway, I added this topic to the FAQ sticky under the Miscellaneous section titled:
ZE+Vista Research - Why won't it work for all Vista users?
Frisbeetarian wrote:If people think that it's worth it, I can go through the site an compile a list of possible solutions...
It's worth it, feel free to go ahead and put something together, I tried to do the same in my earlier post at the top of page 2 in this topic but I may have missed some.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Major problem with Zero Editor in Vista

Post by Frisbeetarian »

AceMastermind wrote:I tried to do the same in my earlier post at the top of page 2 in this topic but I may have missed some.
I remember quoting part of that post in a previous topic, but you've done a great job gathering everything together!

The only thing I have left to add is about the .NET framework. It may be a coincidence, but I remember from a since deleted general topic that someone got it to work by playing around with the different versions. This is a quote from that topic that describes what I mean:
Frisbeetarian wrote:I think that the key lies in the .NET framework. You said that you had 3.0, but it seems as though 3.5 for SP1 has come out, so if you wanted the latest, you should get that and see if it works. At the same time, there was a topic in the general thread that has since been deleted (found through Google search) that referred to someone fixing this issue through the use of the .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package. I'd say give each of these a go and report back your results. A possible reason the last one worked was that that was probably the version that ModTools were developed on, and some change to the framework might have caused it to cease working.
I wish I could work on this problem, but the only computer I know of that has this problem, I personally don't have access to, so I can't do anything about it.

Also, I've updated the 3D-Analyze FAQ with a link to your post, Ace.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Re: Major problem with Zero Editor in Vista (FAQ)

Post by Nova Hawk »

I get a runtime error whenever I try to start the mod tools. I've doing what some people have suggested like putting it as administrator and setting the thing with the Windows SP2 but still it doesn't work. I've also tried to do it with the 3D Analyze, but nothing works.
YTGTangerine
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Re: Major problem with Zero Editor in Vista (FAQ)

Post by YTGTangerine »

Does it say that the BF2_Modtools folder is on your desktop? It needs to be in the root of your C: drive.