Edit Flags Grid Updated: vertex lighting GLOW

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Rends
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Rends »

Seems that i have a problem here.
even with the SWBF2 exporter installed i don´t have the feature to type number 11 for glow i still have the pulldown menu from SWBF1 exporter. and i have deinstalled the SWBF1 exporter.
so what´s wrong here?
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

@ Rends

You still have a pull down menu, :? Thats really weird! Below is my plugin manager with it working, does yours look like it?

You have restarted XSI or even tried restarting your computer after uninstalling the plugin right?

Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

it still works with the swbf1 exporter ..... just use 'render detail '
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Lord-Bandu wrote:it still works with the swbf1 exporter ..... just use 'render detail '
I think he was saying that something is messed up with both the exporters now....
Rends
Sith
Sith

Post by Rends »

Ok guys, i got it working. I needed to uninstall both exporters and reinstalled the SWBF2 one.

Now i´m starting testing the stuff (wich seems to be very interesting for the Streets map ;) )

I´ve a couple of lamps on the streets and they are much brighter now but i don´t think that they realy glow.
they doesn´t have the glow effect around the polygon.

Here is a screenshot:
A few things are still not correct.
First: the lamps are bright but don´t realy glow
Second the lamp illuminate the ground area but not radial. It´s only in one direction. Well the illuminations still comes from the HP_light hardpoint i used in SWBF1 and the Hoth_whitelight.odf file. So what´s the best way to get a radial illumination?

Rends
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

At the moment your only getting the vertex lighting to work . Try redoing the the edit flags part .

Make sure your using 'render detail' if your ,like me , using the swbf1 edit flags and make sure you are calling the white texture in the texture 1 box. Remember to have a msh.option for your object with ' -vertexlighting ' in it. Also add the HDR part from a shipped worlds world.FX into your own........look in the 'lighting','material' and 'misc 'docs (i cant remember which 1 exactly) to see what lines to add to adjust the amount of glow ,globally.

its pretty much the same if your using the swbf2 edit flags except you choose ' 11 ' for the render type ....i think

Maybe take the HP_light away from your light prop object and add the HP's to the floor msh ..... might make for better results .

As for the weird lighting .. I think its to do with the way your floor is moddeled .... you might need to add a few edges or take away some . Cant really tell without seeing a wireframe view of it .

Other than that ,maybe take the HP_light away from your light prop object and add the HP's to the floor msh ..... might make for better results .
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

It looks to me like the lights you're attaching are spot lights. If you use an omni light you'll get a nice radial illumination. Create your own light ODF and set all the cone settings to 0 and the OmniRadius to a number (5 might be good for those lights)

To verify, 11 is the Render Type for glow if you're using the bf2 addon.

The issue you're going to run into (which Bandu and I both have) is that your whole light object is going to be vertex lit. The bottom part and everything. Which is fine if you want to mess around with getting the color just right on the part you want non-vertex lit, but normally you want the lights to control lighting on that. What I did on my models is split the model into two pieces. The vertex lit part, and the non-vertex lit part, and then either attach them to hardpoints in the ODF or try to align them in ZE.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Chrome Report

I have been messing with the Chrome Edit Flag script and finally got somewhere. The only problem is I can't get the effect to show up unless you have your light quality setting on medium... go figure :? . Anyway its pretty cool. It creates a some what transparent stripe that moves up and down as you walk by the polygon, to give it that ... well.. Chrome look. Still working out the bugs and figure out exactly what data1 has a effect on it.

As you can see I change my angle of viewing from down to up between the screens below and the stripe of chrome moves on its own. Sweeeet! :D Also it casts its own glow if you have light bloom on.

squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Nice Job Vyse! If/when you find out the details let me know and I'll add it to the grid.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Chrome Flag: Series of texture over lays with glow and possible texture movement

Data0 and Data1 adjust the overal size of the texture over lays for Texture 1 and Texture 3 from what I have be able to see.

The most important thing is that you have a texture in both Texture1 and Texture3 if you don't you won't get any kind of effect. For me when I have my video settings on medium I get the moving texture on the flaged polygon. Don't know if it's that way for everyone.

Texture2 just appears to be another overlay.

I usally use the same base texture as the chrome flag over lay texture and it turns out like the screens above a few posts. ;)

In ZE the flaged sides will be white like glow was.
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

ok, i dont know what to do now... I dont get the effect at all.

Here are the flags I am applying to the polygons: linkys, yet ingame I get no effect whatsoever. If I put a texture in "Texture3" i get some squiggles on it, but they are not dynamic, so it just looks horrible. The lighting quality is on medium, so if there was any effect is should show, it does in your Hyrule map anyway.

Gametoast Staff

Post by -_- »

For Transparency, 1 is not fully transparent, while 2 is.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

I need some help with vertex glow. I think I am going wrong here

"Note that you need to paint the verticies. Painting the faces will not produce any results."

When I hit ctrl + w and then shift+w and start painting do I need to be in a certain selection mode to paint the verticies? I tried going it to point mode but it just seems like am just painting the faces of the polygons. How do I know if I am painting the actual verticies. :?

EDIT:

When I Property -> Color At Verticies Map is a pop menu suposed to come up or something? It like nothing happens when I click the color at verticies map. Do I select the model first? I've tried that though.
-_-
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by -_- »

Update: Transparency doesnt need to be selected for the msh to be transparent.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

-_- wrote:Update: Transparency doesnt need to be selected for the msh to be transparent.
It will show up in ZE transparent if you flag it or not but if you want in transparent in game you have to flag it.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Vyse-

You're doing it right, I think that quote just meant that if you try to paint the faces themselves, you won't see anything...you've gotta move the brush over the verticies to actually see the paint being applied.
For example, make your brush radius quite a bit smaller than a polygon face on your mesh. Now try to paint right in the middle of the face. You'll notice nothing happens. You have to move the brush over to a vertex to see the results of the brush stroke.

Hitting property -> color at verticies map just creates the Vertex Color Cluster (you'll notice it in the XSI explorer). Hitting ctrl+w and shift+w does it automatically, so you really don't have to worry about that step.
(GT)superfobio

Post by (GT)superfobio »

Vyse wrote:Chrome Report

I have been messing with the Chrome Edit Flag script and finally got somewhere. The only problem is I can't get the effect to show up unless you have your light quality setting on medium... go figure :? . Anyway its pretty cool. It creates a some what transparent stripe that moves up and down as you walk by the polygon, to give it that ... well.. Chrome look. Still working out the bugs and figure out exactly what data1 has a effect on it.

As you can see I change my angle of viewing from down to up between the screens below and the stripe of chrome moves on its own. Sweeeet! :D Also it casts its own glow if you have light bloom on.

*mezmerized* pretty pretty shinny shinny pretty good :)
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

@Squipple

Looks like I got it working. I didn't realize that your glow texture is what determines where the glow will be appearing on your mesh. For instance if your glow texture is white but the area you want to glow is all dark with no white your not going to get much or any glow. Thanks to you and a good chat with Lord Bandu I think I get it now. :)
-_-
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by -_- »

Vyse wrote:
-_- wrote:Update: Transparency doesnt need to be selected for the msh to be transparent.
It will show up in ZE transparent if you flag it or not but if you want in transparent in game you have to flag it.
I could see through it no problem in game XD.. I didnt flag it. Only thing I gave it was an alpha-channeled texture.