Edit Flags Grid Updated: vertex lighting GLOW

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Vyse
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Vyse »

Awesome Job Squipple!

Do you know anything about Environment Map flag? How did you ever figure out the other flags, just by trial and error?

I think some people have gotten this flag working becuase in maps like Rends Cor streets he reflected the objects to make the marble look reflected but to actually get units reflecting on the floor I guess he used this flag.... Any help would be great!! :D

Here is the only info in the docs. Thanks!

Environment Map
The environment map render type adds support for a reflection map to give a shiny appearance on a surface. If an environment map is not specified then it will choose an environment map dynamically at run time. If the object does not move you should provide an environment map.
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

to get units reflecting on the floor you just add a reflection region in ZE ....positioning the bottom of the box with the floor.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Lord-Bandu wrote:to get units reflecting on the floor you just add a reflection region in ZE ....positioning the bottom of the box with the floor.
What if I want to have the texture refelct on a flyable ship or tank? Do I add a region in XSI?
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

I figured them out by setting up a grid of 32 polygons and applying a different render type to each one. Some trial and error was done, altering the values of Data0 and Data1 and also adding a texture to Texture1.
I haven't messed with Textrue 2 & 3 yet on anything.

If anyone wants to take a shot at some of the other render types, it would help get some more entries down in this grid so we all know what they do. I can only test so much at a time and it takes a long time to alter, export, munge, and look at the results in the game.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Hey squipple ,

Do you think you could upload a screen with the Edit Flag all filled in for glow, I think I am doing something wrong. :D
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Ya know it would take a Dev about 2 mins to right down what each render type is, instead of 1 years trying to figure it out. Anyone know anyway to get a hold of one of them? *cough Pyscho Fred cough*
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Although it would be nice to have some devs come back and answer some questions, I've accepted that no more help will be provided and we'll have to figure it all out ourselves.

I have another theory that the Edit Flags are the same as the BF1 addon. Vyse (or anyone else), if you're up for doing some testing, here's the list from the BF1 addon.

Where Render type 0 would be 'Render Normal', Type 1 would be 'Render Glow' etc
Some of them match up to what I have on my grid, but the Glow I have listed in the tutorial shows as 'Render Detail' in this list. I've tried exporting an object with the BF1 tools as 'Render Detail' using the same steps, and the object still turns out as a glow. However, Render Scrolling and Render Ice Refraction seem to be in the same place, so maybe they swapped some stuff around..I dunno.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Hhhm that is interesting. I will see if I can get some working. 2 thoughts, could we use the BF1 edit flags for BF2 instead of messing with the BF2 Edit Flag? and second could we open the XSI Addon for BF2 with a C++ program so we can read each type?

Its a shame about the dev's but I think Pyscho Fred would help us. If we could get a hold of him.

Thanks Squipple!
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

me and teancum talk to psychofred all the time on msn, i never asked him about glow at all and i think he has a different addon than the one that was released, so getting ahold of psych0fred is no problem.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Wow. Well, any chance we can get that ver? Or maybe he can throw it up on the downloads part of his site? I've also got a few questions that I've yet to get an answer from anyone about on the forums that maybe he'd have some insight to. I know it's been mentioned that he's busy, so if he's got just a few minutes.. :)
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

he browses the forums so PM him, hell respond, and i doubt that youll get the edit flags script that he had, he wasnt even supposed to release the clone or the jedi fighter.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

ok, thanks minilogo. At least maybe he can list out stuff and help me fill out that Edit Flags grid so people have reference for the addon that was released. 8)
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Well, I don't know that this is news but I installed addon for SWBF1 and its flag and export work in SWBF2, so in other words if we never figure the render types out atleast we can use the SWBF1 flag render types.

Hopefully we can get a list though with Pyscho Fred's help! :) Until then atleast we know we can use the SWBF1 script.
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Roll up , Roll up for a .........suprise ;)
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

I've updated the Tutorial with a vertex lighting method. Lord-Bandu was right, it was vertex lighting. Thanks for the lead-in info, Bandu!
And with that..TA DAA! I'd like to humbly announce that Lord-Bandu is back in the BF2 Modding mix! I'm sure his announcements will be heard throughout the forums as he reignites his projects. Welcome back man! 8)
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

I see you got the flyer flies to work lol. Glad the vertex was found out because I couldn't get ZE lights working right. Great Job guys.
Murdocr

Post by Murdocr »

@ teancum
Could you please give info on the transparency one as i am in need of that. thx in advance.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

@ Murdocr - You can set transparency by just setting the option labeled transparency to 1. Then your transparency is determined by the Alpha channel of the TGA texture you're using on the model.
Murdocr

Post by Murdocr »

oh ok, so is that all i have to do, just check the box? if so what was tean talking about earlier with the 8 flag? anyways thanks very much and good job with the glow tut. it's very easy to follow ;)
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Well, the check box is for hard edged transparency. I think you're probably just looking for transparency, and that's the slider just above that (see the tutorial in the first post, I explain it and you can see a visual there).

If flag 8 is the same as BF1 Flags, it's Render Ice, which may give a transparent effect, but I'm not sure how it's controlled and may also give some sort of distortion or discoloration..I'm not sure.