Pauldron underside transparency [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

angolandelegate
Private Third Class
Projects :: BF2 Expanded The Post Endor Era
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF3 Legacy
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Pauldron underside transparency [Solved]

Post by angolandelegate »

I recently kitbashed a conversion of one of the Remnant Troopers using its original model and the converted swbf3 stormtrooper model, and all's fine and dandy except for one issue that I have with the soldier's pauldron.
Ideally, it would look like this on its topside and underside:
Hidden/Spoiler:
But it ends up looking like this when looking from a somewhat below angle:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I'm feeling like this probably has a pretty obvious answer that I'm just missing for probably not reading any of the tutorials clearly enough or understanding them properly.

Any solutions?
Last edited by angolandelegate on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Re: Pauldron underside transparency

Post by giftheck »

You need to set the material for the pauldron to transparent and the "Hard-Edged Transparency" option in the material editor to 2.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Alternatively if your pauldron also has specular and normal, the above might not work. Because some materials do not support 2 sides rendering. But there's a neat little trick to have them 2 sided rendered, without using any transparency values. Select the pauldron mesh by only polygons. Not sure if your model's merged or not but I think it's not that hard to select all pauldron polygons. Press "U" to select them easier. Next thig is Right-Click>Duplicate, then Right-Click>Invert. Additionaly you can select all pauldron edges and weld them with a very, very small tolerance level (0.001 for example) to weld the blue edges together.
The nice thing here is that you can also have specular, normal...to be two sides without using the "Two-Sided" value.
angolandelegate
Private Third Class
Projects :: BF2 Expanded The Post Endor Era
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF3 Legacy
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by angolandelegate »

Hidden/Spoiler:
Got it working, thanks!