XSI "101"

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

XSI "101"

Post by Saturn_V »

Guys, to save me from setting up a macro to reply "READ THE F***ING MANUAL!!!", if you are new to XSI (and especially if you are new to 3D software) there are a few things you should do:

1. Download the XSI documentation from

http://www.softimage.com/downloadsrv/pr ... 2_Docs.exe

Everything you need to know. Right there. You have to register but it's free. No excuses.

It's in HTML format and is fully searchable.

While we're at it, here's the Download Section for XSI 4.x

http://www.softimage.com/downloads/defa ... nloadid=62

2. While you are there, download the tutorial file too. This will lead you by the hand through beginning with XSI. There are also short video tutorials and pdf format tutorials to help you get started (Tutorial Bank link on the left hand side of the page). Most of these are for rendering and rigging, they won't be relevant to most of what you need but there are some good modelling videos/tutes there.

I always recommend the boombox modelling/texturing pdf tutorials.

** Note they are arranged by category and now by version and special series. Your best bet is just go straight to the games special series.

I always recommend the Boombox modelling and texturing tutorials, this is relevant to what you'll need to do for SWBF.

3. Get a fast track start with these video tutorials: http://www.3dbuzz.com

If you have experience of other 3D software these will show you quickly the main workflow concepts you'll find in XSI. If you are a total 3D virgin, they'll go some way to lifting the fog you are undoubtedly floundering around in.

Buzz and his crew produce excellent, funny and informative tutorial videos and you can get the Intro to XSI ones for free. These will take you through the basics of the interface, creating and manipulating objects, rendering and animation.

They used to run a karma system where you had to contribute to the forums before you got download rights, I don't know if this is still in place but if it is, get in there and contribute because these vids are great.
There is a series of modding for Unreal vids that you'll probably find useful too.

4. Above all, you must be prepared to put time and effort into learning how to use it. Like so many things in life, the more you practice the easier it gets.

Bear in mind that the SWBF modding community is relatively small (compared to Half Life, Quake or Unreal) and people who know 3D well is a small subset of that pool.

So explore and experiment with the software, and ask for help when you get stuck; when you ask questions be clear about what you are trying to achieve, what you have done so far toget to it, and give relevant information. This will help us to help you.

Thank you for reading.

Good Luck, and May The Force Be With You