Animation "Wobble" Problem

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Epifire
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: Supplies Outpost
xbox live or psn: SirEpifire

Animation "Wobble" Problem

Post by Epifire »

Hi fellow Gametoastians!

Been going through FragMe's animation guide and cross referencing it with another over at SWBFgamers. Trying to correctly implement my first animation to BF1, and it almost works perfectly minus one thing. It's this Scanner Pylon I wanted for an ambient moving prop, that has these whirling antennas on it. In XSI I've taken both bones that are animated and set the anims to linear, and the thing looks perfect inside the modeling application. The ODF is as simple as I can get it and is basically the torture droid from Jabba's Palace without the sound line. However (if you can see it in the lower video framerate) there is this wobble/jolt the animated portions do halfway through their spin animation. Extremely rhythmic as it comes back the same spot in the animation loop...

http://classic.xfire.com/video/634908/

I've taken a look at the bones I enveloped the antennas to and the only things modified is transform on the y axis (height and rotation) it's pretty clean otherwise. Originally in the video you see there I was going with 60 frames, and I cranked out another one at 30 frames that did the same thing. Not sure if this has anything to do with formats as I'm using Ande's exporter (in XSI 2015) for a BF1 animation, but I don't know where else to look as to the cause of the problem. Here's a screen capture just to show how it's setup in XSI...

Any thoughts on it would be much appreciated, still pretty pumped that I even got part of it to work in-game.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Animation "Wobble" Problem

Post by AceMastermind »

Select bone_mid and press 0 to open the Animation Editor and inspect your FCurves for anything unusual.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Way off-topic: Did you model/texture that yourself? Looks incredible.
Epifire
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: Supplies Outpost
xbox live or psn: SirEpifire

Post by Epifire »

AceMastermind wrote:Select bone_mid and press 0 to open the Animation Editor and inspect your FCurves for anything unusual.
I have, and set everything to linear to keep it clean. As far as I can tell there shouldn't be anything wrong, I mean it's a relatively simple animation so I can't figure out what BF1 doesn't like about it.
jedimoose32 wrote:Way off-topic: Did you model/texture that yourself? Looks incredible.
Thanks!, yeah it's all mine. 8)

I've been working on making a Supplies Outpost on Kejim (drawing as much as I can from JK2: Jedi Outcast) and wanted to add this in there for some rad detail. I made a highres mesh and baked it down to the lowpoly you see. I wasn't totally pleased with the first pass so I jammed some extra details in there from one of my other prop textures I'm using, and slapped on some paint and text.