Subdivision UV issues

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Subdivision UV issues

Post by jedimoose32 »

Hi everyone.

In XSI, I used the Create > Poly Msh > Subdivision operator on my character model to make some of the features look smoother and just better-looking in general (Wulf can guess what I'm trying to achieve here, I'm sure). So in order to achieve the best result I Quadrangulated the model, then used the Subdivision operator with the XSI Doo-Sabin rule instead of Catmull-Clark, because apparently that is supposed to more accurately transfer UVs, envelope weights, etc.

The shape of the model is great. The envelope weights are good. The UVs? Not so good. Some areas are fine, while others are completely jumbled beyond recognition. Now, if I have to go and re-UV the model, that's fine... but I'd rather not if I don't have to. Is there anything else I can do, or is there something I did wrong in the subdivision process?

Edit: It's also worth saying that I've tried doing the subdivision with Catmull-Clark as well, and that yielded similar results.

Edit 2: I ended up just selecting areas of the character one at a time (chest/back, arms, legs/pelvis, head) and using the Modify > Poly Msh > Local Subdivision Refinement operator. While there is less control over how the surface gets divided, it does a nice job on its own, making plenty of very clean edge loops and smoothing the appropriate areas while preserving hard edges and the overall shape of the model. And it doesn't completely mess up the UVs, just distorts them a little in some places. I just have to do some touch-ups in the weight painter to get the envelope just right.

I'm going to leave the topic as "unsolved" in case someone happens to know the answer to my original question.