Combining two animations (ZEtools)

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Combining two animations (ZEtools)

Post by MileHighGuy »

Hi, another question from me. Is there a way I can combine two animations? I want to turn two animations into one .msh but when I import the second one they just overlap and all the new bones get a "1" added to their name. Is there a way for me to import the animations onto the skeleton that is already there?

EDIT: I tried "apply animation to selected hierarchy" but I'm not sure if I am using it right. Using that, the other skeleton was not imported but I think it just only overwrote the animation I already had there.

Is there a way I can import animations after the existing keyframes? Without overwriting the animation?
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Re: Combining two animations (ZEtools)

Post by ANDEWEGET »

I think actions are what you're looking for. You should be able to import the mesh, apply the first animation, then convert that animation into a action, then apply the second animation. Then you can add the first animation back onto the timeline.

This is for SI 2013 but it should apply for ModTool, too/just F1 in ModTool to get your version of the help files.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Okay this is very confusing for me. First I store the action, then export it, then import it? I stored "keyable parameters - all sources" then in the explorer I went to the mixer > sources > animation > "StoredAnimAction" and in the property page it will not let me change the storage from internal to external.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

The best workflow would be this I think:
1. Import the .msh file without animation.
2. Select the root of the imported mesh hierarchy.
3. Import the animation .msh with "Apply Animation" selected.
4. Action>Store>Transformations - Fcurves.
5. Import the second animation with "Apply Animation" selected.
6. Action>Store>Transformations - Fcurves.
7. Open the Animation Mixer (Alt+0), drag&drop the two created actions (SceneRoot>Mixer>Sources>Animation) onto the first animation track and position them accordingly.
8. Can't test right now but you might have to Tools>Plot>All Transformations if ZETools doesn't recognize the animation if it's not plotted.
9. Export.