Setting up a Lightsaber? [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Indytotof
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: SWBF2 Sides Overhaul Mod
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Setting up a Lightsaber? [Solved]

Post by Indytotof »

Hello modders and mappers, here is Indytotof.

I'm here to asking you how to set up a lightsaber i'm trying to export (the lightsaber pike for that matter).

I'm really in trouble to do that...

Thanks !
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Setting up a Lightsaber ?

Post by Bob »

Freeze your transforms and put everything under a DummyRoot, basically like every other model, you just have to rotate it a bit different. Rotate it 30° around the X-axis get a Null called hp_fire, rotate it -60° on the x-axis and place it where the blade and damage edge shall grow from. Also make sure the model has the right size (you can import objects from the game as reference for that). The DummyRoot will also be the place where the character grabs the weapon, so make sure model and Dummy are in good position to each other. Best would be to import the dualsaber since it's set up especially for the animations you will most likely use ingame.
Indytotof
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Indytotof »

Can you upload pics to show me how to proceed ?

Pics will make this usefull tips more comprehensive for me (and more easly to applying it).

Thanks so much.
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

I'd need a point where to start, so what have you already done and what programm are you using?
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Bob wrote:...Best would be to import the dualsaber since it's set up especially for the animations you will most likely use ingame.
^Thats all that need be said really.

You can use ZETools to import assets and use them as templates for pretty much anything you're working on.
Indytotof
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Indytotof »

Bob wrote:I'd need a point where to start, so what have you already done and what programm are you using?
I use XSI and I've resize, textured and rotate the lightsaber.
AceMastermind wrote:
Bob wrote:...Best would be to import the dualsaber since it's set up especially for the animations you will most likely use ingame.
^Thats all that need be said really.

You can use ZETools to import assets and use them as templates for pretty much anything you're working on.
Really ?

And what are you meaning by "use them as templates for pretty much anything you're working on" ? Replace the model by the one I want to export ?

It would be working ingame ?

Thanks for your answer (pasts and futures).

When this one will be exported, you can expect to this this (and future sabers export) on the "Released Assets".
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

Indytotof wrote: And what are you meaning by "use them as templates for pretty much anything you're working on" ?
He means you can use something as a reference when sizing and rotating stuff, see how it is set up hirachy wise for example, what hardpoints belong where and learn alot in general.

Speaking of hardpoints, those need to be set up.
First, get a Null.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Press 8 on your keyboard to bring up the explorer, rename the null to DummyRoot and drag&drop the parts of your model into it.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Now get a second null, drop it into the Root as well and call it hp_fire. Move it (in the model itself, not the hirachy) where it belongs (usually the tip of the hilt) and give it a rotation of -60°, so the "front" of the null points into the direction the blade goes.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Open up the explorer again and middle-click on your DummyRoot to select it and everything that's below it in hirachy.
And from now on it depends on what version of XSI you have. For the 7.5 ModTool you'll want to use Ande's ZE Tools, which is what I'll do in this example. Open it's menu and press 'export .MSH'
Hidden/Spoiler:
This will open a pretty self-explanatory window where you enter a name and path for saving and press 'export'.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Indytotof
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Indytotof »

Bob wrote:Press 8 on your keyboard to bring up the explorer, rename the null to DummyRoot and drag&drop the parts of your model into it.
Can you just explain the meaning of the phrase in bold please ? I actually not really understand it.

Thanks you so much guy, you're awesome !

Trimmed the quote -Staff
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

You forgot the so I don't know where the phrase you mean starts. If it's about the ZE Tools, it's a handy addon for XSI 7.5 that let's you export and import models and animations with just a few clicks and also includes a material manager. There is a sticky thread about it in the 3D modeling/animation subforum.
Indytotof
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Indytotof »

This line: "drag&drop the parts of your model into it"

How do that exactly ?
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bob »

You click and hold the left mouse button on the name of the entity you want to move, then drag that onto the name of the entity you want to drop it into and then release the button. Like moving files into folders on Windows.
Indytotof
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Indytotof »

I want to set up a lightsaber for a unit that used aalya secura's combo. I've set up the first correctly but the second (the one in the left hand) is really a pain. He never goes correctly in the hand (like Aayla Secura)....

Any though to help me how do so ?
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Use ZETools to import rep_weap_aalya_lightsabre.msh (the left hand hilt) and use it as a positioning reference.