Weighting the clavicles [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Weighting the clavicles [Solved]

Post by MileHighGuy »

I didn't want to make a topic about this, but no matter how I weight it I can't get the clavicles to look good.
In xsi they look fine, and they deform pretty realistically.
But in game, they always end up looking horrible, like crushed cans. Notice the left shoulder (our right).

How do you all envelope the shoulder bones? Examples would be great. I looked through the stock units already. Thanks.
Last edited by MileHighGuy on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Clone Wars Extended
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

Re: Weighting the clavicles

Post by Deviss »

on the experience, envelope to clavicles on clones models, look very ugly, unless you envelope leather part placed between upperarm armor and torso, now talking human/species models well its very usefull but always using few points on that part of the body, why? because with many points you will get a big different like your image, but with few points you will get a bigger body's part move, so its more realistic, for example envelope to clavicles points near to the neck :)
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

I'm not sure I understand. So you recommend weighting it like this?

Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Deviss »

MileHighGuy wrote:I'm not sure I understand. So you recommend weighting it like this?
Hidden/Spoiler:

lol my english is very bad, neck to ribcage, but the first line of points out of the neck and on the clavible bone, attach it to clavicle, i will try take pictures later :)
Last edited by Deviss on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

That would be great, thanks. There are so many times where I think I have it right, but I don't.
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Deviss »

MileHighGuy wrote:That would be great, thanks. There are so many times where I think I have it right, but I don't.
its very difficult find the perfect position for the points attached to clavicle and which ones to upperarm, for example you can test clavicles envelope when the player jump, shoot and reload with pistol and rifle animation, and if you are using fett's flamethrower anim, without clavicles, its very ugly because the arm cross torso part xD

here my examples:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
i hope it be useful :)
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Thanks Deviss, That helped. I also found that rotating the bones into extreme limits and weighting them helped too, Then I could press reset actor to move the bones back to normal position.
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Deviss »

MileHighGuy wrote:Thanks Deviss, That helped. I also found that rotating the bones into extreme limits and weighting them helped too, Then I could press reset actor to move the bones back to normal position.
you are welcome :) and didnt know that, i will give a try too