Geonosis Arena (BETA, Version .75, Released, July 1st, 2006)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

Awesome Idea
geoman777

Post by geoman777 »

I liked the map, but just to make it more realistic (and better IMO)

The jedi should have the spawn point in the middle, and the droids should have all the surrounding spawn points. Oh and geonosians as locals or part of the CIS team.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

If you're going for realism I'd make the lighting a little brighter. It seems kinda dark right now in comparison to the movie.

Also just to make the arena a little less...boring in appearance I'd uneven the elevation so that it isn't flat.

Downloading now! :wink:
Droideka88

Post by Droideka88 »

Tohron wrote:Here's an unusual idea, although if implemented it would be really difficult to balance.

Basically, in the movie the Jedi were outnumbered and the CIS would have won if the clones hadn't arrived and saved the day. So this map could have an extra "movie realistic" mode where the Jedi's goal is to survive for a certain amount of time, and the CIS goal is to eliminate the Jedi befor the timer runs out. To counter, the CIS could be given a large number of Geonosian locals with infinite reinforcements, who would share vision with the CIS and thus give a CIS player vision over the entire battlefield. Also (if necessary) the CIS could be given infinite reinforcements.
That could be done in Conquest with ease but the number of reinforcements has to different though.

Plus, love seeing Anakin with green ligthsaber. Now why couldn't he have used that in Episode 3? :P
because the Trade Federation did not want to spend tons of credits making lots of them.. because, logically, those personal shield generators cant be that cheap!
The shield is not the most expensive equip for the CIS just so you know. That saying was only good for EPisode 1 but after that, it's useless once more are revealed about them. And on the contrary, I believe that it was because of Dookau and Sidious (and George since he's director) that forced the CIS to not produce a lot of droidekas. YOu must realize that before Episode 2, ten years took place. Ten years. That's a long time and by then the CIS would've mass-produced any droid, even droidekas since they were already common in the galaxy. The shield saying is a lame excuse I heard many fans say back in SW. It's not entirely true and just shows that they take George's way too seriously. A shield that absorbs but in reality depletes as well when activated isn't said and how lightsabers can easily penetrate shield if striked right is forgotten in of these SW varieties...except video games since they usually get them right (with the exception of more and reasonable numbers.)

if he WANTED more droidekas he would have ADDED more droidekas! he definetly had the money to hire a whole team to animate a whole ARMY of droidekas!
I doubt that for now because he concentrated too much with ANakin and Padme. Maybe in the special editions (years later), he'll have time to give better support with other things...
I'm considering having a hunt mode with acklays and Jedi. What do you guys think?
Wouldn't mind as long there are variations in the Jedi and Acklays.

About the regular BD. They weren't regular if you recall seeing them slightly tanned and red. :wink: Or it could just be because of the sun.
Talibanman

Post by Talibanman »

you simply can't get it, do you? if george decides that there are so and so many droidekas in the movies then he's right! the movies ARE the only possible source of SW information. if it bothers you so much, why won't you send hatemail or something to lucas himself! but stop complaining about his "mistakes" to us!
Lord_Wyrven

Post by Lord_Wyrven »

The shield generator is completely irrelevant to the battle a Geonosis Arena, those Droidekas were infantry Droidekas, they didn't carry personal shield generators.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by The_Emperor »

Let's not fight over wether there should be many droidekas or wether Lucas had enough money and other theories, there's no need for that...
I'd say: let Schizo decide, it's his map, so his rules. (though ts good to give opinions and feedback sometimes)

Hunt mode sounds sweet :D
Btw nice Aayla reskin
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Talibanman wrote:you simply can't get it, do you? if george decides that there are so and so many droidekas in the movies then he's right! the movies ARE the only possible source of SW information.
Movies are the PRIMARY source, but not the only one. Other things in the EU are considered canon, but the movie trumps any of those.
dentistdroid

Post by dentistdroid »

PLEASE...right skins for the b1 battle droid(geonosians)
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Okay, since most people have been repeating the same things over and over again, what to do with the map and such, I might as well make a list of all the stuff that has been changed since the last release. That way I won't just keep seeing the same suggestions over and over:

- Okay, first off, the CIS' unit count has been greatly increased. To the max. 200 droids on the field at any one given time. To balance it, I did increase the Jedis' reinforcements too.

- The Jedis' CP has been moved to the center of the Arena. I've removed the capture region, because those pesky CIS droids like to crowd around it and capture it almost seconds after the match starts. The only way I could really solve this is removing the capture region. Though, it doesn't make much difference, because one of the CIS also has an uncapturable CP, since the Jedi tend to do the same thing; capture every CIS CP before the battle even gets going. So, it's pretty even all around.

- The Geonosians are no longer locals, but a playable class on the CIS team. Unfortunately now that it's crashing the map, I've got to delay the release of the map until Tean can find a solution.

- The Jedi Heroes, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Aayla, and Ki-Adi-Mundi, have been added to the map as a local team which helps the Jedi out. You can now see them running throughout the Arena, killing droids and such.

- The three Jedi Masters (the Wookie, Bothan, and Twi'lek), have been tweaked, so as there's more of a reason for why they must be unlocked. All the regular Jedi classes no longer have any force powers; only their sabers to defend themselves. The Wookie has been given just Force Push, and now takes 12 points to unlock. The Bothan has Force Pull, and takes 14 points to unlock. The Twi'lek now has Force Wave, and takes 16 points to unlock. I had to remove the saber throw, since when you're playing as the CIS, all the Jedi ever do is saber throw, and it makes it very unfair and annoying. I just didn't like their constant throwing of the sabers.

Also, a Chiss Jedi Master has been added, who has Force Crush, a one-hit kill move that drains your stamina completely. He has a blue saber and uses Maul's animations. (If you've noticed, I've given each of the Jedi Masters a unique animation that none of the other Jedi use; it adds a little variety.)

- A few gameplay issues have been dealt with, making the map overall more fun to play and more true to the movies.

Things left to do:

- Top priority right now is to get those Geonosians and Jango Fett to work. Tean's working on it, and I'm not gonna rush him, because I'm not sure how to fix this, or how hard it is to fix. But trust me, he'll find a way; he hasn't failed me before. :wink:

- Further balancing of either side. Since the CIS greatly outnumber the Jedi, it's been a real fight to get this map as balanced as I can get it. Though, to tell you the truth, it's going to be impossible to balance it completely, since the movie just made it so... unfair for the Jedi. They would've lost had it not been for the Clones. So I'm trying to capture that in this map, without being too unfair to the Jedi. As long as either side can win at least a few times each, I'm happy with it.

- For some reason, the Wookie no longer wants to use Dooku's animations, and instead uses the default Luke animations. I don't know why he's doing it, but if I can get Dooku's animations back, then I will, since the slow, powerful slashes involved in Dooku's style seems to fit the Wookie a lot more than the more agile, acrobatic style of Luke's.

- Since people have mentioned it, yes, I will reskin the Battledroid so as he's a little more reddish in color. I'm also going to try to get a more Jedi-looking skin for the Wookie and Bothan. Though, the Wookie can't really just be reskinned to look like he has a Jedi tunic on... worse comes to worse, I'll keep it like it is. I've already tried to skin a tunic on the Bothan, but it just didn't really look right.

- If I can find someone willing to model it, I'd like a dead acklay to put in the arena, just for looks. I'd also like to get some models of dead Jedi and stuff to spread across the arena, as well as more battledroid chunks.

- Make a hunt mode with acklays and Jedi. Maybe add some more game modes to the map too. A deathmatch mode would be cool, with an every-man-for-himself-kinda thing going on there.

I think that's about it though. There is one thing I would love to do, and that's add a campaign-style mode to the map, where you play as a Jedi, and you have to like, do different movie-related objectives, such as kill the acklay, or help Obi-Wan and Anakin, then maybe have an objective where you have to kill Jango, and Mace will be available as a hero for that objective. Stuff like that. It'd be cool if I could script it so that the final objective would involve holding the center CP and defending it for a certain amount of time for reinforcements to arrive, like in the movie when the Jedi are surrounded. Then have the clones arrive in a gunship and end the mission. I'd love to do it, but I'm not really sure how to script campaign missions. Though it'd be a very interesting thing to try out. What would you guys think about that, if I could figure out how to do it?
JawaMan

Post by JawaMan »

awesome! installing now
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

Loved the first version and can't wait for the second. :wink:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

@ Schizo -- Don't forget, I still have it set up for Hero Assault, so for the Map Pack version, send it to me and we'll do a Jedi/Sith All-Star version of Hero.
richard

Post by richard »

I'll download when its done :wink:
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

That campaing idea of your's would be very very cool, if you can pull it off that is...
I don't think there is a way to make a skin with a robe on the wookiee, but you can try ;)
Looks like you've allready made some nice improvements, and it'll only get better :D
Thire
Major
Major

Post by Thire »

I'm confused on how you install this map, could someone please explain to me? :)
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Simply double click on the GRN SFX archive, select the path to your addon folder, and extract. It's that simple.

Also, Tean, I'm still having trouble with Jango and the Geonosians. If you could get on Xfire as soon as you can, that would be great, since I need you to send me the fixed version of the map. Maybe I can figure out what I was doing wrong by looking at your source files.
flubsy

Post by flubsy »

Ok when i was installing this map it came up as not a rar or zip and i dont' knwo how to do it then >.>
Protector_Pulch

Post by Protector_Pulch »

I played it and noticed 2 things:

The walls and the piles are very tall - are they as tall as this in the movie ?

The bots don't use the turrets.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

I can't do anything about the walls. I didn't make the models.

As for the turrets, the bots do use them. A lot, in fact.