Geonosis Arena (BETA, Version .75, Released, July 1st, 2006)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Schizo

Geonosis Arena (BETA, Version .75, Released, July 1st, 2006)

Post by Schizo »

Hey people. I've been gone for a while, preoccupied with other games and such. Been busy doing other stuff. But, I have had the time lately to work on some of my mods I left unfinished, with the end of school and all. So, I decided to first go back and finish that old Geonosis Arena map Tean lended to me to work on. Some of you will recognize it. It is, for the most part, finished. There are some bugs and stuff I still have yet to work out, but I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

Some of the known bugs are:

- The wookie Jedi's animations are kinda screwy. There's really no way to fix this. But if I can find a way, I'll definitely see what I can do.

- Sometimes the Jedi team will be completely wiped out, leaving a bunch of droids and Geonosians standing around as you desperately try to find that last little Jedi hiding God knows where. This is a side balancing issue. I'll try to make it so as the battle doesn't really end so... anti-climactically. Though, don't get me wrong; I have been able to win using either team several times, so it's not too unbalanced... just needs some work.

- Pathing problems. The bots sometimes group around CPs and just stand there. I gotta add some paths and hubs and stuff to make them move around a bit.

- Two of the CPs don't have capture regions. The Jedis' starting CP doesn't have one, but this was done on purpose so as the match wouldn't end so quickly, since the CIS like to go in and try to capture it as soon as the match starts. One of the CIS CPs doesn't have a capture region. That wasn't on purpose. I've been meaning to add it but I keep forgetting. On a related note, the center CP doesn't have any spawn paths. I've got to add them too.

- The Arena models themselves are really low-poly and kinda crappy looking to tell you the truth. But don't look at me; there's nothing I can do about it.

Besides that though, the map is fine. Just some minor things here and there yet to be fixed. Here's some screens for you guys:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/8201 ... na28yv.png

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7632 ... na34wk.png

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2066 ... na64ag.png

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/2462 ... na75sj.png

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6207 ... na86hg.png

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/3022 ... di32yt.png

And here's the download link.

The final version should be out in a couple of days. Until then, enjoy the beta, and please let me know of any bugs or glitches you may find.

Post by Guest »

Looks great well done.
Shame i dont hace bf2 anymore this would of been a keeper! :D :wink:
Rockwind

Post by Rockwind »

YAY i have wanted a map like this for a while. Looks good i will download later and tell u what i think of it. Screens look AWSOME
2_lowiq_clone

Post by 2_lowiq_clone »

i'm downloading later too. :D
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by yankeefan05 »

Welcome back to GameToast. I saw your name on my buddy list often so u werent totally gone.

Anyway, looks nice. Is the gameplay only in the ground of the arena? (Like there is no fighting where the seats r)
Rockwind

Post by Rockwind »

Well i have just played this and i love the wookies with lightsabers :)
But maybe u could increase the unit count so its more like hypori grevious attacks. Also could u make some cover like there are pillars in the movie ins't there. One last thing make some fightining in the seats :) But apart from that i love this map
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

The unit count might be bumped up just a little bit. But right now, I like it how it is. It's subject to change though.

As for the cover, well... there wasn't much in the movie. Actually, there was practically none at all. There are pillars in the map. But they're not all over the place. I tried to make it as movie-accurate as I could get it.

And the fighting in the seats... as much as I would love to expand the fighting up into the bleachers and interior of the arena and stuff, it's just not possible with such low-poly models. They're basically just taken from a short cutscene in the Clone Wars video game. They're not really detailed at all. If I had some more detailed models, I would put some fighting up in the seats and balconies and interiors, but right now, the entire arena model is nothing more than a big block.

Glad you liked the map though.
Aksel3

Post by Aksel3 »

Awesome map Schizo. Finally someone made a great Geonosis Areana Map. Clearly worth a download :D

As you said it was a Beta, and it needed some tweaks and improvements, maybe I can help you with that?
  • Have you ever thought about placing 1 CP in the middle of the Areana, which would belong to the Jedis? Just like in the movie, where the Jedi are sorrounded by the CIS droids, remember? The CIS CPs could then be placed around the one belonging to the Jedis.
  • About the Jedis, I think you made some really cool ones, Bothan and Wookie Jedi etc. But when I was downloading this map, I was looking forward to play as the more 'known' Jedis. Have you ever concidered leaving Anakin, Obiwan, Mace Windu and all the known jedis in, instead of those more 'random' Jedis? They should, ofcause have a low Unit Count, so there won't be running 23 Obi-wans around at the same time. And to prevent imbalance, you could make those Jedis, that you already implented, locals, allied with the Republic of couse.
Here is a list of those Jedis who participated in the Arena battle, taken from this Wikipedia article.

Stass Allie (Human Jedi Knight, survived)
Empatojayos Brand (Human Jedi Knight, survived)
Sora Bulq (Weequay Jedi Master, survived)
Chellemi Chuovvick (Human Jedi Padawan, killed)
Joclad Danva (Human Jedi Knight, unknown)
Ur-Sema Du (Jedi, killed)
Bant Eerin (Mon Calamari Jedi Knight, participated in the space battle above)
Ur-Sema Du was one of General Grievous's first Jedi victims.Lumas Etima (Human Jedi, killed)
Fi-Ek Sirch (Nikto Jedi Knight, killed)
Kit Fisto (Nautolan Jedi Master, survived)
Adi Gallia (Human Jedi Master, participated in the space battle above)
Tarados Gon (Klatooinian Jedi Knight, killed in exploding gunship)
A'Sharad Hett (Human/Tusken Jedi Knight, participated in the space battle above)
Sarrissa Jeng (Human Jedi Knight, killed)
Sephjet Josall (Human Jedi Knight, killed)
Tassida Judrelle (Jedi, killed)
Kai Justiss (Human Jedi Knight, survived)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Human Jedi Knight, survived)
Ki-Adi-Mundi (Cerean Jedi Master, survived)
Plo Koon (Kel Dor Jedi Master, survived)
Agen Kolar (Zabrak Jedi Master, survived)
Eeth Koth (Zabrak Jedi Master, killed in exploding gunship)
An'ya Kuro (Human Jedi Master, participated in the space battle above)
Sar Labooda (Human Jedi Knight, killed)
Agen Kolar bids farewell to his fallen Padawan, Tan Yuster.Roth-Del Masona (Human Jedi Master, survived)
Chankar Kim (Human Jedi Knight, killed)
Voolvif Monn (Shistavanen Jedi Knight, survived)
Nat-Sem (Jedi Master, killed)
Barriss Offee (Mirialan Jedi Padawan, survived)
Pablo-Jill (Ongree Jedi Knight, survived)
Khaat Qiyn (Human Jedi, killed)
Rana (Jedi, participated in the space battle above)
Alta Ranga (alien Jedi Master, killed)
Stam Reath (Human Jedi Padawan, killed by Sev'rance Tann)
Que-Mars Redath-Gom (Weequay Jedi, killed)
Forha Sachi (Human Jedi Master, killed)
Aayla Secura (Twi'lek Jedi Knight, survived)
Echuu Shen-Jon (Human Jedi Master, survived)
Roan Shryne (Human Jedi Padawan, survived)
Anakin Skywalker (Human Jedi Padawan, survived)
Ranik Solusar (Human Jedi, participated in the space battle above)
Sta-Den-Eekin (Klatooinian Jedi, killed)
Galdos Stouff (Jedi, killed)
Jaizen Suel (Human Jedi, participated in the space battle above)
Bultar Swan (Human Jedi Knight, survived)
Siri Tachi (Human Jedi Knight, participated in the space battle above)
Nicanas Tassu (Human Jedi Knight)
Shaak Ti (Togruta Jedi Master, survived)
Saesee Tiin (Iktotchi Jedi Master, survived)
B'dard Tone (Coway Jedi Knight, survived)
Lura Tranor (Human Jedi, killed)
Coleman Trebor (Vurk Jedi Master, killed by Jango Fett)
Tu'ala (Human Jedi Padawan, killed by Geonosian soldier)
Luminara Unduli (Mirialan Jedi Master, survived)
Mace Windu (Human Jedi Master, survived)
Tan Yuster (Human Jedi Padawan, killed)
Oh, forgot something. It would of couse looks wierd if the Ep. III Anakin and Obiwan was running around, so fortunatly, there have been created both and Ep. II Anakin and Ep. II Obi-wan skin. The Obi-wan skin can be found here. Teancum ( I think ) created the Ep. II skin, you could maybe ask him about using that? Both skins looks great, so I there's no excuse for not leaving them in :)

There's a maximum of 9 classes, right? Well, then I suggest you add; Mace Windu, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Plo-Kloon ( Search for his name in the Released Map/mods seaction and you'll find him ), Aalya Secura and Ki-Adi-Mundi. Those won't be hard to put in-game since they are already made. Rest is up to you. ( Well, actually it's all up tp you, I just think it would be a good idea to include those. )
  • Pilars! Broken Pilars! They should clearly be in, no doubt. At least, that's how I see it :P
That's all I can think of right now. Please let me know what you think about it.

-Aksel3

Post by Guest »

could you add some of the creatures too?
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Flash wrote:could you add some of the creatures too?
like acklay.
Darth_Plagus_The_Wise

Post by Darth_Plagus_The_Wise »

Excellent map! Well done! I really like this map... Keep improving it!
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

To answer for Schizo:

Creatures:
-New creatures are very combersome to do. A new model, new textures, new animations, new odfs, new combos. That could very easily take months for one creature.

-The Acklay was dead by the time the Jedi vs CIS battle started.

Additional Jedi:
-Enveloping converted meshes (if we did that) can only be done by about 3 people in the community. I wish more knew how. We'd add all those jedi. Of course we could never make them all selectable.

-It's possible Schizo didn't add movie-specific jedi since we didn't want 10 Obi-Wans running around. Generic jedi wouldn't be a big deal.
Aussie_Irishman

Post by Aussie_Irishman »

im not 100% positive here teancum, but i believe you are wrong when you say that the acklay was killed before the battle...i remember the two battle droid's comments as the acklay came up behind obi-wan: "uh-oh" and "roger roger"....and THEN obi-wan killed it....but was that little snippet DURING the jedi/droid battle?

AJay
MartinK

Post by MartinK »

I've been waiting for this, downloading now
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

The acklay and heroes were to be added as locals, running around the arena and such, but it didn't work out too well. I can only get three sides to work (Jedi, CIS, and Geonosians), and even when I took out the Geonosians and put in the acklay, it didn't work quite like I wanted it. The heroes didn't really work either. I messed and messed with the lua, but I couldn't manage to get just one of each to spawn. There ended up being at least three of each. So you'd have three Obis, three Aaylas, three Ki-Adi-Mundis, etc.

Like Tean said, it's easier to just have a bunch of random, nameless Jedi, since you don't really have to worry about the continuity errors with the movie and stuff.

Also, there are pillars in the map. Just look closer. They're hard to spot but they're there.
king
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by king »

awsome map d/ling now
AlPhA29

Post by AlPhA29 »

It isn,t very movie-accurate..there were like SO MANY B-1s and a B-2s everywhere overwhelming the jedis in the movie
btw could u make the droids leave chunks when they blow up without dissapearing??It would make things look like a real battle with all those dead jedi bodies , droids' part and bodies everywhere in the arena.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

There's not a good way to make this movie accurate. Sorry to be rude, but deal with it. Schizo isn't a modeler, and neither am I.
Sniper_eye
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by Sniper_eye »

well of course that's understandable teancum, but would it be possible to get other modders from this forum to help schizo, someone that has time?
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

The best we can do right now is the droid chunks scattered around the arena. That's the most you're gonna get. I'm definitely not experienced enough at modelling right now to do much else to it.