Ancient Research Facility FINAL - 06/04/06

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by squipple »

@ LordGrievous13 - The level was designed to have those things sticking out specifically for the reason The_Emperor is talking about. It's one of those little surprises you get while creating something. I was going to cut them off, but then thought they'd make great little shelves to snipe or ambush from. I suppose I could texture it to look metal as if it were built in that room, but I like to think that the metal was built around the stone from the adjacent room. :)
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Yeah, excellent Squipps. (I had to reinstall BF2 for your map :D)

Anyways...played all the eras and modes.

A few things. Mabe it's just me, but the lights weren't working. Probably me, might wanna check that out, though.

Another...I forgot to take a pic...but....You know where the celing has those circled grates? Wen they slant up, the texture is a bit messed up.

Also, in 1 and 2 flag, it's got some 'meh' pathing. Bots didn't like the side. I suggest putting the pyramid base thing on top of the pyramid..that way its harder to score than going behind it. Also, they get stuck under the stairs, in the all the rooms with stairs. Not sure if it's just CTF, it's very likely all modes. Then again, it's very likely not. Anyways, yeah. May want to examine that.

When you jump backwards by the 'metal room with stone shelves' there's this one area that you go through the wall. Also, in most places on that wall if you jump up and go forward, your guy does a little jumpish flicker, like it's about to go throuhg it. Collision issue, maybe?

And two more suggestions.

That 'metal room with stone shelves'...it'd be really sweet if you had it go up a lot more, and there were like stone shelves going up ina path, and there was this little room up there with health and ammo droids. Just me, but I think that'd kick buttock.

And one last suggestion. It's an ancient research facility...but there's no discernable way in, or out! :O

Maybe make a door that they came through? (here's an idea. Have the rep starting CP start in this room above the majority of the facility...witha closed door behind it. Then have a door in the front that goes into the pyramid room...or something. Might be a little wierd for gameplay...I dunno. Maybe just have that door thing? Kinda wierd there's no entrance.

Anywhooooo....

I had alot of fun playing this, all the lil secrets and stuff. Awesome for exploring. I actually fell right through that hole the first time I walked there. I almost cried I laughed so hard because I had read about it. :D

AWESOME map, man. Can't wait for the glow! :D
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

@ Epena -
Lights not working...I'm not sure what you mean. Like there was no light in the map at all..or it didn't look like lights were on? Maybe check your lighting setting in the game.

I'm aware of the messed up texture. It's noted in my Known Issues in the first post.

Flag modes have the same pathing as conquest. I've got barriers galore in all areas where there's stairs, and in the hex room I specifically put rails on the side so the bots wouldn't fall off and get stuck under there (even though there's tons of barriers there). But, there's really no way of blocking whether or not someone gets force pushed under there, or if a grenade blows them in that direction or whatever. The best suggestion I can give you there is to kill em if they're the enemy or tell them to 'come with me' if they're on your team. I've tested this map countless times and got the barriers to a point where the AI aren't going under the stairs without being prodded there in some way.

I'll attempt leaping around in the hex room to find that wall hack. I'm not quite sure where it is. Maybe you can post a screen. And, if people insist on wall hacking on this board they'll just fall to their death anyway :)

Sure there's a way in or out...through the hole in the bridge you fell through. :p

I got the glow in, as well as the water and waterfall in the arboretum..now on to figuring out fireflies and godrays.
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Doh! Didn't see the noted issues in the first post! :P

And I just re-uninstalled BF2. Getting a picture wouldn't work because you go through the wall in the part right above the 'door'...so you fall back down to the 'door'. However, sometimes is shoves me sideways, and I end up between the wall. And also, the 'fritzing up' thing I was talking about isn't ina single frame. It'd need a movie...and I can't do that because frapps or some other program would blow up my computer if I ran it with another program.

I'm not sure what I could do for you....But try jumping to the walls off to the side there...I'm pretty sure you'll see that glitch. It happened for me almost every time that I did it. Sorry about being useless like this. >.<

The lights were probably me. Just forget I said anything.

The flag pathings....I think that having them be the same as conquest is the problem. They see that flag, so they take the most direct route. Howver, that makes it really easy to avoid them. If you could add higher priority (just a little) to the sides, it might make it more all around filled.

Can't wait for the next version!
yoyam

Post by yoyam »

excellent map very fun to play
this should definately be in the mod mappack :lol:
forresal

Post by forresal »

Downloading now and really looking forward to playing this!!
Looks great!

Thanks for your work and sharing it with us!!
:D
Spacerocker

Post by Spacerocker »

Just wanted to say how much I love this map!
DaWeess

Rumor of New Map

Post by DaWeess »

Squipple I heard you have a new version coming out, when are you looking at it coming out and what changed?

DaWeess
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

RE: Rumor of New Map

Post by squipple »

I updated the first post with Beta information. Filefront's upload feature is down right now, so I'll post a link when I'm able to upload again.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

:(
Cant you upload it somewhere else :( I loved the beta version of this map and this sounds and looks even better
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Ok, it's up on rapidshare now, check first post for the link.
Filefront's still down this morning.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Sweet! Dling now... Thanks mate imma play it right away when I've got time
LordGrievous13

Post by LordGrievous13 »

DLing now
SonofThunder

Post by SonofThunder »

Very sweet map...absolutely loved the design and diverse rooms. :) I was shocked when I walked around the corner and right into an Acklay..."What the..." I didn't make it. Hehe, little touches like that are what make maps great. This is staying in my add-ons folder!
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

Welcome to GameToast SonofThunder . I agree this is a good map.
DaWeess

Sweet

Post by DaWeess »

Dling now, see you online with this one ;)
Aksel3

RE: Sweet

Post by Aksel3 »

Awesome map! Must have taken ages to build this. By the way, have you found any bug to fix, or something for the final release?
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

It took since the tools came out until now, so almost 3 months? That's going from 0 knowledge about modding to this.

The only two bugs I know of are the two listed in the first post. That and ZE light flickering. But, I don't know if any of those are fixable, so this beta version may be the final. I just put it out to get other players in to see if they could find bugs or see if anyone knew how to fix the known bugs.
plokoon761
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by plokoon761 »

wheres the ackley? i cant find it? is it a playable character?

edit: nvm, i found it lol
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn »

Wow man this map is state of the art, I particularily like the high healthed, reskined, wampa. I was leading some troops through the tunnel then BANG!! It jumped out and killed us all :shock: . All you out there i reccomend using a heavy trooper when going through the tunnels. :lol:

One problem is that the weapons seem to do too much damage, did you tweak that or something? But it does add to the thrill of the level so you may want to leave it alone.