Elevator, Proof of Concept Map

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Elevator, Proof of Concept Map

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Proof of Concept Maps are maps which show how to do something. They provide an example of an idea to show that it is possible, but do not contain enough content to be worth playing the map by it. These are maps for people to learn and copy ideas from. They are not meant for public play (but could still be used for it).

So far, I've completed an Elevator Proof of Concept map. It contains two working elevators. One is very simple, the other is more complex and works much better.

Edit: [ Oops, I uploaded an early version. Don't download it, unless you want to see an early stage of the map]
Edit 2: [ The changes from this version to the final are mostly so you can see the elevator. It does work. Since I messed up, I'll just post a version 2 of the map with a better elevator design and forced AI elevator support. ]

The map and sorce files are at FileFront here: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... _map;59238

Issues:
-Because the animation is reset instead of being paused then reversed and played, it is possible to make the elevator jump right on top of you.
-The AI is really stupid. There are no AI paths.
-I suck at setting up lighting. Sorry.

Future ideas:
-It would be better to keep track of the elevator with timers instead of many regions.
-The elevator only works with human players. It is possible to put a path through it (like it was flat) so the AI uses it, but you would have to make sure the AI doesn't fall off of it while its moving (use walls or barriers).
-The elevators in the map only move up or down. You can make them move in any direction. Just make sure there is an edge so the elevator pushes the unit as it moves.
Last edited by [RDH]Zerted on Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
drummerzoid1

RE: Elevator, Proof of Concept Map

Post by drummerzoid1 »

cool, this will help in terms of space star ships, this is great!
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Oops, I uploaded an early version of the map. Don't waste your time downloading it.
drummerzoid1

Post by drummerzoid1 »

darn
NegativeSmiley

Post by NegativeSmiley »

Well I did anyway. Although the elevator is hard to see its still nifty. To get on it you have to run straight at the big black thing and jump into the air. Hopefully you'll land on it.
drummerzoid1

Post by drummerzoid1 »

hehe, upload the new version, everyone will be using one!
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Instead of correcting the visual problems with the early version, I'll just make a version 2 of the map with a better elevator and AI support.

The elevator in the non-final verson I posted mostly works, its just extremely hard to see. To use the elevator run to the front of the gray structure. Jump 'into' it and you will be on the elevator moving up. Watch the chat messages. The elevator displays its progress there. Shoot rockets and set off gernades/detpacks to see what it looks like.
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

Send this to Bandu and he might put it in his invisable hand map!
Captain_Mazda

Post by Captain_Mazda »

Such an elevator could be considered "sexy".
Delta_57_Dash
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Delta_57_Dash »

rofl mazda!

anyways, elevators could very well make many maps very, very neat to play now :P
Laserblast
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Laserblast »

Heh, imagine riding up an elevator as a clone trooper and meeting 2 or 3 droidekas at the top. I see chokepoints in these elevators...
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: RE: Elevator, Proof of Concept Map

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Laserblast wrote:Heh, imagine riding up an elevator as a clone trooper and meeting 2 or 3 droidekas at the top. I see chokepoints in these elevators...
Imagine a turret chair in the elevator linked to cameras (turrets without weapons) outside each floor. Imagine elevator buttons which you use ( blow up) to pick the floor the elevator goes to.

Imagine me some more free hours.
Captain_Mazda

RE: Re: RE: Elevator, Proof of Concept Map

Post by Captain_Mazda »

Imagine being able to call R2 and telling him to get the elevator running and then it goes down but then imagine you can call him again and imagine now the sexy elevator goes up but then imagine droids looking around and imagine they get their heads smashed by Anakin and imagine Count Dooku falling down the steps and making Palpatine laugh and rip a fart revealing his true identity.

Then the Jedi would've been saved.

I think the buttons will be going over-sexy. As sexy as it might look, I think we'll just have to stick with the unsexy game engine.
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

Hey this means we could make more advanced maps, like an interior of kamino or a coruscant apartment!
sh4d0wl0rd

Post by sh4d0wl0rd »

Good idea. But if it's possibke the elevator shoud be faster!
machoman

Post by machoman »

i like it
machoman

Post by machoman »

like it alotttt!!!
^Destroyer^

Post by ^Destroyer^ »

Do not bumb old topics or double post, man this is the second time this day i have to say this.

^Destroyer^