space death star I:beta released

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Wadi

Post by Wadi »

Love it, but it could be slightly improved. Here are my ideas:

1) I don't like the way you fly INTO the death star before you reach the 'platform' you fight over, which you approach side-on. Maybe if you have the platform level with the side of the death star sphere, as part of it? Also, you could approach it from the top, looking more realistic.

2) The trench needs to be longer and shallower.

3) Lots of the fighting takes place over just one smal area of the surface. Make it more central and widespread, because at the moment there is lots of wasted space. You could then add in boundaries to stop fighters straying too far away from the playable surface.

4) More detail in Yavin 4.

Also...would it be possible to play as Heroes here? The rebellion could have Han Solo, with the Falcon, and the Empire could have Darth Vader with his TIE advance. I wonder if there's any way to unlock these ships when you unlock the hero...worth looking into.
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn »

LOL its AWESOME!!! Ive been playing it for a while now, and alot last night.

Heres some thing that need to be fixed:
-The trench longer and narrower and make some sort of upper covering so that the bombers cant just unload on it.
- OMEGA's idea about desrtroying the main port is an awsome one but you might want to give it quite a bit. more health if your going to do that.
-A-wings and Intorseptors could be added
-Keep the amount of autoturrets on the death star but decrease the dammage they do and the distance away from you that they soot a you.
-Is there any way that you can make the suface parts that stick up solid? that would be more realistic and would provide more much needed cover.
-The idea about the hero fighters is awesome Wadi
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn »

oh and you just randomly die in the empiral hanger which is a nuicince and needs to be fixed
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Y2g2006 wrote:Variety > Realism

Thats all I have to say on that matter.

The X-Wings torpedos very seldom hit... The Y-Wing is pretty useless. Theres absolutely no way the destroy every turret.

Lets face it... Interceptors and A-Wings are usually what makes the maps interesting (if you ask me).
Absolutely not. A-Wings and Interceptors are great in other maps, but there's absolutely no place for them on this map, if you ask me. They weren't in the movies, they shouldn't be in here. No way.
Krun

Post by Krun »

anyone else have problems with the map locking up on the loading screen? I tested my game with another custom map and it worked fine??

Edit:
Emperordonkey thanks for the tip I tried it about five times and it locked up on my Win2k prof. OS I still recovered Windows but never got it to run.
Last edited by Krun on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorDonkey

Post by EmperorDonkey »

I've noticed that alot of mod maps just tend to do it for no reason. It did it twice for me and then works fine from then on.
11of3

Post by 11of3 »

thanks for all the feedback.I have begun addressing some of the issues rised.first the trench has been made longer,narrower and smaller.
as for the ships,I will not be putting awings etc into this map,there for the second death star.if somebody has a falcon and vader`s tie fighter that can fly I would be happy to add them to this map(did anybody try to get into the falcon outside the rebel base?)looking at making the turrets weaker and getting the ai to spread out more.don`t know how to address the voice issues yet or the cap ship icons.any ideas?
Robotchicken

Post by Robotchicken »

i dont like how you fly up a round surface and then its deep and flat...just my opinion though
Wadi

Post by Wadi »

make it harder too see the edge of the 'platform', maybe using my idea of putting it level with the surface of the Death Star. it spoils the illusion otherwise.
jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by jangoisbaddest »

I agree with others - making turrets controllable, especially in the trenches, would be uber! You could expand the interior of the Death Star to make it so (!:D!)
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

eh its pretty cool that u fly from one planet to another but it needs work, it could be a great map
Y2g2006

Post by Y2g2006 »

I still say add A-Wing and Interceptors. The Empire is at a disadvantage even with the turrets. Way too much crossfire. I was actually playing as the Empire and got nailed by crossfire. I died.

Plus this map isn't realistic at all... The Empire is basically out numbered. X-Wings + Y-Wings against Tie Fighters... The Y-Wings alone have three weapons... X-Wings have two and Ties have two. Something needs to be added or removed just for the sake of game balance.

And the turrets definitly need something done to them. When they're taking out their own fighters... something is wrong with that. The swarm of fighters has a nice intense feeling to it, I like it, but there is a lot of tweaking that needs done.

I liked the deep trench, maybe I was the only exception. It was fun chasing X-Wings and Y-Wings down into that abyss of a trench.

But yeah... At least add interceptors... there needs to be something to even things out.
jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by jangoisbaddest »

You're mad! The turrets are great, because it encourages fighters to go into the trench to avoid crossfire! Furthermore, the Empire is most certainly NOT at a disadvantage due to the fact that the guns are PWNING rebel fighters faster than you think, and ONLY rebel fighters. The balancing is fine; the only things, I think, that need work is the trench itself, perhaps some of the planning, and some extra space inside the Death Star (for controllable turrets on the surface! Joy!). And, though the illusion of the Death Star's exterior is awsome (not to mention brilliant), there's got to be an even better way to create the illusion that you're zooming in on the surface without going straight through it (I'm sure 11of3 will figure it out, cause he's brilliant). Putting in A - Wings and Interceptors would destroy the entire feel of the map (among other things).
Y2g2006

Post by Y2g2006 »

You're full of it about the turrets. Crossfire can always hit a ship. With the swarm of fighters in that small of a space... they do more harm then good.

Like I said... I WAS killed by an auto turret... so I should know. :-P
jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by jangoisbaddest »

Good point. But it works well because like I said, it encourages the fighters to use the trench and not cruise above the surface and dive toward the exhaust port (the only way to do a trench run lol). If one still needs to balance it more toward the Imps, one can always make a second hangar. And have I mentioned that controllable turrets would be freakin sweet?
Narlie-Charlie

Post by Narlie-Charlie »

Y2g2006 wrote:there needs to be something to even things out.
Why not add a second hanger for the death star, and double the number of thier fighters? and it wouldnt hurt to expand the battle from being just above the trench.
Y2g2006

Post by Y2g2006 »

I think adding a second hanger would be a bit extreme. I dunno. Everything just seems uneven. Maybe thats because of the lack of variety.

This map needs more variety... especially on the Empire side.

I still say realism should be thrown out to window for this map. Things would be more interesting that way (despite what others think or say).
EmperorDonkey

Post by EmperorDonkey »

Sorry to sound a bit harsh here but: My god i've listened to you compl;ain all night. Everyone of your posts have been about the horrible a-wings and interceptors. LEARN how to use tie fighters well and its easy.

Hes doing this map the way he wants and ur the only person who cares about the "lack of veriety" of ships.

If you want those ships learn to mod and add them youself.

Sorry again. Just made me a little uneasy lets say.
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

Its called Feedback.
11of3

Post by 11of3 »

ok guys.once I get ths map to a stage that I am happy with and everybody out there enjoys,I may look at doing a second version with a wings etc.It shouldn`t be to hard to rename and create 2 versions should it?.the death region in the imperial hanger is giving me a headache.I have removed it but still they die!why?is there a problem/bug with the game that if the spawn areas are moved to far this happens.I had a problem while setting the rebel base that the players would not spawn until I moved everything nearer to the centre of the map.how easy would be to set up manned turrets,because I have already removed alot of what was in the original space?more updates/news later...