Alderaan Beta (VERSION .99 RELEASED; March 18th, 2006)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Schizo

Post by Schizo »

squipple wrote:Some nice improvements Schizo. I still love that scatter gun. I like how you evened him out a bit too. It seems like I'd die pretty quick if I spawned as that guy. But, that might be because I thought I was Mr. Invincible with that gun! :P 1-flag was also working nicely (in multiplayer too). The minimap looks pretty nice in there as well, although it's a little off. If you need me to adjust it, I can. I don't know of you can adjust that in the code or not. (I'm not that far in my first map yet..still modeling).

- 2-flag's goals are still reversed, and the republic can't grab the enemy flag.
- In the CTF modes, I might add a command post for each side on the outer rim adjacent from where your current ones are, centered to that middle area. This will allow you to get into the battle quicker, and make you decide if you're going to spawn and defend your goal, or spawn and get into the action.
- You may also want to use some planning paths or barriers in that center area. A lot of AI are running into those little walls. I also noticed the CIS collecting around the base of the ramp.
- There's some geometry overlapping on the bridges (I think that's what it is), causing them to flicker. Doesn't affect gameplay, but is definitely distracting.

Keep up the good work on it, it's almost there! :D
Yeah, if you could adjust the mini-map just a bit, that would be great. I tried doing it myself in Fireworks, but I just put it even more off center.

As for the other stuff:

- I swear I fixed those bases... hmm, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads-up. As for the Republic not being able to capture the flag... hmm, didn't know about that one either. I'll need to fix that up a lot. Worse comes to worse, I just take out 2-Flag and just have 1-Flag.
- Good idea. I'll do that.
- Well, yes, the bots do sometimes get caught up, but I've noticed that they tend to do pretty well for themselve anyway and get "unstuck". It'd be kinda hard to put in barriers and stuff, since doing that would practically blockade the center CP from bots getting at it with barriers. I'll try to see what I can do though.
- And the flickering... well, that's mainly because I was laying the pieces together and stuff, and they overlap a bit. I usually just ignore it though. I don't know... if I have the time I'll try to fix that up.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by squipple »

Yeah, they do unstick themselves after a while. I just noticed I was able to toss a grenade in there and waste a large portion of them. That was mostly in CTF, so maybe they were just swarming in there anyway. And, yeah, I'm sure barriers would get tricky in there.
I'll play the map a few more times and find out what direction this map is off and adjust for ya.

A few other things I noticed while putting around the map to see where the minimap is off
- the republic sniper won't deploy his autoturret.
- minimap doesn't come up if you're jedi
- What is the jedi's force wave supposed to do? I couldn't figure it out. I thought at first it was going to work like asajj's. but it didn't knock anybody around.
Last edited by squipple on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KilerKev

Post by KilerKev »

I'm dling the new one.
I've got an idea!
What if you'd switchthe weapons of the Magna Guard to an Electro Staf?
He could have the fighting style of Darh Maul , and the i think he would be equal with the ARC Captain.
What do ya think Schizo?
MikkelTheSith

Post by MikkelTheSith »

love the map
sh4d0wl0rd

Post by sh4d0wl0rd »

KilerKev wrote:What if you'd switchthe weapons of the Magna Guard to an Electro Staf?
I think the map is too spacious. IMO it's better to use the normal long-range combat magna guards. But it's of course Schizo's decision.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

For now, I'm keeping the CIS the same. The file size is already big enough as it is. If I added the CIS, then it'd just make it bigger. Next map the CIS will have special units modded in. But for now, the map's staying as it is.

In the next map, I'm thinking about putting in an IG-88 droid with a lance though. Since the combat will be really close quarters and everything, it'd be good to do. Depends if Tean can get him working right though.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

--- Did you include the entire REP folder in your map? If so there's a lot easier ways that will cut filesize immensely. We're talking 8-9 mb here.
-(DW)-Arc9[E]

Post by -(DW)-Arc9[E] »

Hey man,i just found out something: That painting happens to be a VERY realistic representation of an alderaanian city! I just saw EP3 the scene that looks like naboo with the waterfall IS naboo the one with the mountain and the snow n all is alderaan!
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Teancum wrote:--- Did you include the entire REP folder in your map? If so there's a lot easier ways that will cut filesize immensely. We're talking 8-9 mb here.
... Well... yes. I'm lazy, what can I say. I took the Republic side, pasted it into my Sides folder, deleted everything I didn't need en masse, and there we go. Though it's still a huge file size. If there's any way to tone it down a little, I'll do it. I've just always used the quick way. Gets the job done at least.
JadenKorr86

Post by JadenKorr86 »

Any person can put another link for this map please????????
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

The easiest way to do it is to go ahead and copy the rep folder, but in rep.req delete whatever you don't use. That way you don't have to release anything else. The req will only munge what's needed.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Version .99 is out now. As you can see, it's only a minor update. Main changes with it include:

- Mini-map has been tweaked so as it's a little more accurate.

- 2-Flag CTF should work correctly now.

- Added barriers around the center of the map, so bots won't get stuck on the walls and fountains.

- File size has been cut almost in half. Should be much quicker to download now.

Vashik Sadar also now uses Luke's animations. I didn't necessarily mean to make it this way, but I think while cleaning out the .req file for the Republic and such, Obi's animations got deleted or something along those lines. So he's reverted back to the default Luke animations. To tell you the truth, I actually kinda like it this way anyway. I'ma keep it.

So, there you go. Only a few minor tweaks and fixes, but it's worth the download anyway. Plus, since the file size has been cut in half (literally), it should go much quicker to download now... hopefully. If it turns out people are still taking a long time to download it, I'll make a mirror download link at Savefile or somewhere.
SWShellhound

Post by SWShellhound »

for a second it looked like it was going to tak 28 minutes, the it jumped down to 4
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Ha, so it did cut down the download time. Good. That's what I was trying to do. Glad to hear that it worked.
SWShellhound

Post by SWShellhound »

well it took one minute off the time, its really cutting down
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by squipple »

Nice job on the middle area, I didn't see any bots getting caught up at all, and they were still runnin through there.
Force wave is now working for me too.
Oh, and that scatter gun still pwns the pwnyest pwnage :P

- 2-flag's goals are now set up right, but the republic still can't grab the enemy's flag

Played the XL mode for the first time and saw a few more things
- birds need to be fixed
- CPs are on the wrong side in XL
- CP's are floating and inside the walls in XL (not that the CPs matter in this mode, but it just looks bad is all)
- There's a [null] on the spawn screen in XL
- Check my previsous post if you haven't already...I added some stuff just prior to you releasing this version.

8)
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Yeah, I fixed up the middle pretty good. I haven't seen any bots getting caught up either.

And yes, XL is pretty screwed up. I think I may just drop it altogether; it's not all that fun anyway. Conquest is where the real action is.

As for the Republic not being able to pick up the enemy flag... I have no idea. I think it might be something to do with the Mission.lua. I'll check that out.

Good to hear Force Wave is working for you now, though. But, in regards to your comment on the last page:
squipple wrote:What is the jedi's force wave supposed to do? I couldn't figure it out. I thought at first it was going to work like asajj's. but it didn't knock anybody around.
Of course it works like Asajj's Force Wave; I made it. :P
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Well, the final version is pretty much ready for release. I've fixed up any bugs remaining that I could, and added some custom stuff to the CIS. But, unfortunately, now my Jedi's animations are bugged, so spawning as him crashes the game instantly. I'm trying to find a way to fix it, but so far no luck. So until I can get that fixed, the map's on hold. Once I can get it working though, I'll release the 1.0 Final. If worse comes to worse, I could just take out the Jedi and make a new, non-Jedi hero... though I'm out of ideas... :?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Schizo -- we'll talk. I've got some new 'workarounds' that should be fairly easy.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Well... hopefully. I tried uploading those source files for you to look at to Filefront yesterday, but it kept disconnecting me. :?