Alderaan Beta (VERSION .99 RELEASED; March 18th, 2006)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Schizo

Alderaan Beta (VERSION .99 RELEASED; March 18th, 2006)

Post by Schizo »

Well, here it is. What's been done so far of the good ol' Alderaan map. It's still got a few tweaks I need to work on, but for the most part it's going smoothly.

Alderaan Beta .99

Features:

- New Special units for the Republic, including a modified Jet Trooper, and ARC Captain.

- New weapons, inlcuding:

• DC-15S blaster rifle (Jet Trooper)
• "Scatter" Gun (ARC Captain)
• Wrist-Mounted Flame Thrower (ARC Captain)
• Modified shotgun (ARC Engineer)

- 712th Urban Unit (made up), with Urban Camo skins for the Clones.

- My own, made up custom Jedi for the Republic; Vashik Sadar.

- New pwnage mini-map thanks to SQUIPPLE; Master of Everything.

Known Bugs:

- Bot pathing isn't perfect, but then again, it never really is anyway.

Fixed Bugs (from previous .75 and .95 beta releases)

- DC-15S and Scatter Rifle no longer have the award rifle bug.

- Mini-map is now in-game (and pwning).

- Ground has been lightened a bit, though, I notice that when you play the map with terrain quality on the high setting, it's really dark. I recommend playing on the low terrain quality setting; it looks better (oh the irony :P).

- All units, weapons, etc. are localized and fixed.

- Neutral CP on CIS side is no longer floating off the ground.

- 1-Flag and 2-Flag CTF have been fixed and tweaked.

- Mini-map has been tweaked so as it's a little more accurate.

- 2-Flag CTF should work correctly now.

- Added barriers around the center of the map, so bots won't get stuck on the walls and fountains.

- File size has been cut almost in half. Should be much quicker to download now.

- Vashik Sadar's animations have been changed, mainly by accident, but since I like how the accident actually turned out, I'm keeping it.

Things left to do:

- Add some stuff to the CIS. Thinking about a custom hero character, along with some tweaks and changes to the units.

- Tone down the ARC Captain a bit so as he's not so god-like and a little less... unbeatable. (Increase Points to Unlock to 20, and weaken the damage on the shots a little). Still haven't gotten around to it.

- Add some CPs to the CTF modes, closer to the center of the map.

Credits and Thanks:

- Teancum, for basically setting up all the gamemodes and helping to get the original version of the map working.

- Squipple for the PWNAGE mini-map. Looks exactly like the official ones. Just what I wanted.

- Everyone else at GT who helped to find bugs, problems, etc., and for all their support.

Download Link

Enjoy. :)
Last edited by Schizo on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
EmperorDonkey

Post by EmperorDonkey »

Downloading RIGHT now, Sounds awsome!
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Does anyone else hear angelic choirs singing? *downloading now*
EmperorDonkey

Post by EmperorDonkey »

Finished DLing and played it!

Very nice, Although i have never heard of that jedi ir ather like him. The weapon for the captains fire is sweet. Same with the jet trooper.

Its a very head-on map too which I like.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Man --- Filefront is sooooooo slow for me. It's been an hour and I'm at 10%... BAH!

@ Schizo -- when you're at your final release, PM me and i'll upload to gametoast via FTP
Epena
Old School Staff
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Epena »

Um, yeah.

Filefront says estimated time is 156 minutes at 56k.

I think I'll wait. D:
LordGrievous13

Post by LordGrievous13 »

That has to be te coolest weapon I've ever seen the scatter gun sorta unbalances the game but still I was able to take down a AAT by myself using it. I hope it comes out for more maps
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

I thought the scatter gun was kind of too powerful myself, but I noticed that the CIS, even when I have the gun out and shooting, really tend to kill me pretty darn quick if I'm not careful. The bots seem to take care of themselves just fine, if you ask me. If you'll notice, I also made it so only one Captain is allowed on the field at once, balancing it a little more. I may also increase the points to unlock from 12 to 15-20 (depends...), since he's such a powerful unit. Glad you liked the map though guys.

Sorry about the long download though, Tean. I'm disappointed that you can't download it; I know you were really anxious to get this one too. For some reason, my Filefront files tend to take quite a long time to download... I don't know why. But I really don't have anywhere else to put them. The map is just over the 60 MB limit of Savefile...
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

The map itself just seemed like a wide open space. I DO like the the new troops, very nice. I didn't know that there was only one captain on the filed at a time. So that almost makes him like a jedi. Maybe he should have a slow life drain on him or less life to start out with or something.
I did notice 2-flag isn't working. The CIS (enemy at the time) scored 5 points in about 30 seconds and I couldn't locate our flag. Seemed like it was in a building that I couldn't get to.
1-flag crashed after the loading screen in multiplayer as well.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Hmm... well, I haven't played it on multiplayer just yet, so I didn't really know about that. I'm not sure how you would go about fixing that, actually... but, thanks for the heads up anyway. I'll also look into that flag thing. I might've accidentally placed the flags at the opposite CPs, which would explain why the CIS was able to capture it so fast... >.>
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Yeah, it seems to be a common thing for a lot of the mod maps. And it's usually the CTF modes that crash. I wonder if the devs have any insight into common things that would crash multiplayer (CTF or not).
Spacerocker

Post by Spacerocker »

Sounds awesome. Downloading.
-(DW)-Maj.Frag

Post by -(DW)-Maj.Frag »

Map sounds cool I'm looking forward to the new troops just a long download 256k and 40 minutes :S
Edit: Can't download it at all it has a error at about 73% done tried it a few times no luck :(
Last edited by -(DW)-Maj.Frag on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunjak

Post by Gunjak »

26 pacent 10 minutes to go!!
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Now that filefront has got its act together, it's only taking about 8 1/2 minutes to download.

Can't wait!
KilerKev

Post by KilerKev »

The map is a bit empty , but i really like the new troops.
Thoe the clones r a bit overpowerd.
It would be cool if you would make some new weapons and troops for the C.I.S.
It would be ASOME if you could make a Durge for the C.I.S. hero with the ARC captains weapons (but insted of the Commander Pistole you could give him a Mortar Launcher or something , and the Dark Trooper jetpack)
Over all nice map(but i would be one of the coolest maps with Durge).
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

I still have yet to do anything with the CIS, but I do have some stuff planned. As for the map being empty... I can see your point... hmm, I might add a few more buildings and stuff. Though I do have another Alderaan map that I'm going to make that'll go alongside this one, which will be mostly alleyway fighting and such. As for Durge... hmm... I don't know. I might be able to, but I'm not sure if it'd be any good. I'd rather just stick with an already existing hero for the CIS. But we'll see.

Glad you liked the map though. This one is mainly meant to be a large clash between the two forces (when playing on 32 bots with 500 reenforcements, it gets really intense). The next map will be more compact with skirmishes in the alleys instead of the large clash you see here. I really wish there was some way I could control the number of bots to make this map seem more of a battle, but so far we can't really do that, so...
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Well...played it through.

Once again, it's not my taste. :P

THe new unit owns, but, personally, I felt taht he took too long to unlock. That time was spent trying to capture the middle, but the CIS held a pretty strong grip on it....I would need less time to unlock him in order to save the battle.

Guess it'll take practice. :P
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

That's really the whole point of the thing. The unit is so ridiculously powerful with that Scatter Rifle, so I made it so it's kinda hard to unlock. But really, all it is is 12 points, which is the average amount of points it takes to usually unlock the jet trooper on regular maps. If you ask me, I think I should increase it. I'm usually able to get 12 points within the first minute of the game. Capturing the CP by the Republic's starting point gives you 2, then I just pick off the droids with the sniper for an easy 10 more points. Not that hard once you get the hang of it.

And, I noticed that the main reason the CIS is able to hold onto the center CP so much, is because the neutral CP that they take over is closer than the one on the Republic's side. I didn't necessarily mean to make it this way, but now that I look at it, that's not bad, as it helps balance the game a bit. The Republic's units are pretty powerful, so in turn, the CIS is able to hold onto most of the map. Kinda cancels each other out. I'm working on it though. Like I said, there's still more to come.

And, Epena, what exactly is your taste? :P
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Alleyway fighting (next Alderaan sounds good. :D) and enclosed spaces. A large map like that pwns.

I'll be practicing more on your map, lol.

Oh, a little suggestion..

I played with only 100 reinforcements on either side two times because it was in a list with other maps where adding many more woud be rediculously boring and drawn out.

Go into ALDc_con.lua and set the re-enforcements for each side to 300 as default. That way people can still mess around with the number that they have (increase or decrease a little either way) and when in a list it won't ruin the other maps with the humongous amount of reinforcements.