Natural Map Pack

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Lephenix

Re: Natural Map Pack

Post by Lephenix »

Looks great , this map pack has been added to my map list thread : Here

I'll do my review after playing it :wink: .
acryptozoo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Yavin Mappack
Games I'm Playing :: Homeworld 2
xbox live or psn: acryptozoo

Post by acryptozoo »

Awesomes Downloading now :D
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Nothing--absolutely nothing

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

DUDE!!! :eek: How long did this take you!? Even if the maps aren't perfect they look pretty good and in a reasonble amount short time!

Wow speed is kind of the key I think. When someone spends TOO MUCH time working on something then they get bored of it and even start hating it, watching that same loadscreen, getting that odd CTD, that tree that's still there after they deleted twice, that badly put together path that makes the ai commit suicide, the same environment day, after day, after day, after week, after week, after month, after month, after YEAR, after YEAR. It just gets to them and the overall charisma they showed when beginning the project fades away, the mind starts to want to do other projects, they do a skinpack, or two, then they get the beta report, but they already know what's wrong with the map, they've been doing it for two years, they don't care to fix it anymore, they're bored of the project, only working on it to say they could do it or because they promised the community it would be out by a certain date, then they ship it...

Anyways, I'm not saying do a map in 1 week cuz that would make it garbage, my point is that after 3 years WIP things start getting messy. Great job on this and I hope alot of people download! :mrgreen: :thumbs:
Last edited by CalvaryCptMike on Mon May 02, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TK432
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by TK432 »

Actually, Some maps like Jarolla and Corellia took me over a year to get released. I don't think that's short time period though.
However, I think for future projects I will make single maps rather than map packs and then take care more about them.
Map packs in this scale are just too time consuming for me these days.
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

Yeah, I knew that, I'm talkin' two and a half years working on ONE map nonstop.
But good job! The maps definitely aren't professonal yet a couple of them had a certain charm to them. The corellia map was awesome! It wasn't perfect but I had so much fun climbing around on the rocks to get a shot at the AI, I hope that the map works for MP because that will be an awesome map for sniper vs sniper matches :mrgreen: !
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: Mapping on occasion
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII + MW4 + SC4

Post by sim-al2 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Then how do you know, if the texture is missing you cant see the birds, :? or :shock: can you, I have never added birds without the texture to know what it would look like. :lol:
It's actually really easy to tell, they're just flying bird-shaped whitish blocks. :shock: And AFAIK most things in this game that are untextured will appear grey (or black or white depending on your video card).

@TK432: I'm not in any way insulting your work or skills, I love the maps and I thought you might want to know of those in case you had any future plans. :D
TK432
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by TK432 »

I might make a v2.0 or a patch at some point.
I didn't take your critism in any offensive way. It shows me that I need to do something else in the future.

That sound missing stuff...is it easy to fix? I really haven't done a whole lot with sounds so I have like zero knowledge there.
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by sim-al2 »

Yes and no: There's a tutorial here but I haven't used it before so I can't pass judgement on how easy it is. :(
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

Actually you can just copy a stock snd.lvl file to your addon sound folder and then load mulitple sound files in one script fixing your problem very easily, piece of cake :mrgreen:
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by sim-al2 »

CalvaryCptMike wrote:Actually you can just copy a stock snd.lvl file to your addon sound folder and then load mulitple sound files in one script fixing your problem very easily, piece of cake :mrgreen:
I read about that in one of the sound FAQ threads but several people stated that would cause sounds that exist in multiple sound levels to not work.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

sim-al2 wrote:
CalvaryCptMike wrote:Actually you can just copy a stock snd.lvl file to your addon sound folder and then load mulitple sound files in one script fixing your problem very easily, piece of cake :mrgreen:
I read about that in one of the sound FAQ threads but several people stated that would cause sounds that exist in multiple sound levels to not work.
I actually meant to write a mini-tutrial on that.

If you load a 3rd snd.lvl with no vehicles, (I always use mustafar)it adds the missing sounds back. Just be sure to think what vehicles you need, like, ATTE and AAT, use Geo and Nab, then Mus on top of that.
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by sim-al2 »

:o If that works and doesn't bug out the sound memory that makes things so much easier...
Alpha347
Private Third Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Alpha347 »

sim-al2 wrote:
Alpha347 wrote:
What do you exactly mean with the problem on Corellia?
On most of the map in the Dark Times era (haven't played any of the maps on BFX yet) if you jump, fall (even an inch), or get out of a vehicle there's a good chance you will die because you get smashed into the ground really hard because the ceiling is supposed to keep you from jumping too high but it goes nuts if you get really far above it and jump.

Edit: Felucia: The texture for the birds is missing.

Oh, no problem for me so long.

I removed DT2 :cry: because of technical issues (maps disappearing, maybe mission limit).

So I would not encounter that problem on Corellia, I suppose.

I'm however worried about all those graphic, AI, etc problems you spoke of.

Not so hard, but seems to be too much, like you risk to get an irrealistic environment & AI behaviour.

Maybe it is only a wrong impression or interpretation of what you said, but as all of you only report tons of bugs without saying things like "it is very beatufil map though" people get this impression.

I have to try and test it out by me.

Honestly, I would be afraid IF I found it too buggy to play to wait the next release AFTER ruining the surprise effect of the new content....

So, if you could tell me if it is worth the playing anyway, without further waiting - I watched the WIP so long time - it would be nice.

Anyway, author did really a great work, I can see it in the screenshots. To be clear.

Thank to him and to you all.
ShadowWing
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: I will start modding when I get time.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by ShadowWing »

Is there any water on any of these maps?
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Yep; Felucia and possibly a couple others.
CalvaryCptMike
Captain
Captain

Post by CalvaryCptMike »

I noticed that when I played certain modes that I would die from just walking around. :?
It was wierd but other modes worked. @alpha, I commented on the maps looking really cool :mrgreen:
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by sim-al2 »

ShadowWing wrote:Is there any water on any of these maps?
Jarolla has a big ole lake in the back, probably enough to induce water crashing if that's what your thinking of. The others I'm pretty sure are clear.
Alpha347 wrote:

I'm however worried about all those graphic, AI, etc problems you spoke of.

Not so hard, but seems to be too much, like you risk to get an irrealistic environment & AI behaviour.

Maybe it is only a wrong impression or interpretation of what you said, but as all of you only report tons of bugs without saying things like "it is very beatufil map though" people get this impression.

I have to try and test it out by me.

Honestly, I would be afraid IF I found it too buggy to play to wait the next release AFTER ruining the surprise effect of the new content....

So, if you could tell me if it is worth the playing anyway, without further waiting - I watched the WIP so long time - it would be nice.

Anyway, author did really a great work, I can see it in the screenshots. To be clear.

Thank to him and to you all.
Opps I guess I need a disclaimer warning that I can be too serious for my own good sometimes. :wink: Don't worry, I recommend that everyone play these maps, they're all great and well made and worth the time playing. Definitely keeping in my addon folder for sure. :thumbs:
Alpha347
Private Third Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Alpha347 »

OK, Thank You!! :thumbs:

What do you mean for "water crashing"?

I' m not sure what phenomenon do you mean... and I've played many water maps.

Thanks in advance.
sim-al2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by sim-al2 »

Some people have random crashes on maps that contain water such as Naboo in particular, and unfortunately there's no way to tell how to make maps to avoid the risk other than no water at all. :|
Lephenix

Post by Lephenix »

Ok I played the map pack yesterday, i love all the maps of that map pack, it is really excellent (I only played it in dark times era though, but i'll try king of the hill, hunt, the campaign and bfx later, and i am sure it'll be excellent). Ok so here the littles and a big one to fix: On Corellia , you can't jump, you are pushed or your die, i entered into the AT-AP in dark times era, and when i exited the vehicle i died, it is the only big thing to fix. On Felucia, there's some floating foliage (not really important). On Vemona, some trees's textures are missing, they show up as black. And in instant action, the dark times era shows up as +123 era (i have only dark times II mod installed and Nal hutta, and your map pack). In general, i really enjoyed playing the map pack, the maps are excellent, and i'll keep all the map pack in my addon folder, great job. A 1.1 version would be nice with the "bugs" listed above fixed. Great job :thumbs: .